Null Pointer Exception in SOLR

mechravi25
Hi,

When I tried to remove a data from UI (which will in turn hit SOLR), the whole application got stuck up. When we took the log files of the UI, we could see that this set of requests did not reach SOLR itself. In the SOLR log file, we were able to find the following exception occuring at the same time.

SEVERE: org.apache.solr.common.SolrException: null__javalangNullPointerException_

null__javalangNullPointerException_

request: http://solr/coreX/select
        at org.apache.solr.client.solrj.impl.CommonsHttpSolrServer.request
        at org.apache.solr.client.solrj.impl.CommonsHttpSolrServer.request
        at org.apache.solr.handler.component.HttpCommComponent$1.call
        at org.apache.solr.handler.component.HttpCommComponent$1.call
        at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask$Sync.innerRun
        at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run
        at java.util.concurrent.Executors$RunnableAdapter.call
        at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask$Sync.innerRun
        at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run
        at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.runTask
        at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run
        at java.lang.Thread.run

This situation resulted for another few hours. No one was able to perform any operation with the application and If any one tried to perform any action, it resulted in the above exception during that period. But, this situation resolved by itself after few hours and it started working like normal. Can you tell me if this situation was due to deadlock condition or was it due to the CPU utilization going beyond 100%? If it was due to the deadloack, then why did we not get any such messages in the log files?Or is it due to some other problem?Am I missing anything? Can you guide me on this?

Re: Null Pointer Exception in SOLR

Erick Erickson
Hmmm, can we have some more details here? What version of Solr? What
exactly did you do in the UI? What was the state of your index (i.e. adding
documents from some other process? etc.).

Best
Erick

On Wed, May 2, 2012 at 8:17 AM, mechravi25 <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>

> When I tried to remove a data from UI (which will in turn hit SOLR), the
> whole application got stuck up. When we took the log files of the UI, we
> could see that this set of requests did not reach SOLR itself. In the SOLR
> log file, we were able to find the following exception occuring at the same
> time.
>

> SEVERE: org.apache.solr.common.SolrException:
> null__javalangNullPointerException_
>
> null__javalangNullPointerException_
>
> request: http://solr/coreX/select
>        at org.apache.solr.client.solrj.impl.CommonsHttpSolrServer.request
>        at org.apache.solr.client.solrj.impl.CommonsHttpSolrServer.request
>        at org.apache.solr.handler.component.HttpCommComponent$1.call
>        at org.apache.solr.handler.component.HttpCommComponent$1.call
>        at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask$Sync.innerRun
>        at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run
>        at java.util.concurrent.Executors$RunnableAdapter.call
>        at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask$Sync.innerRun
>        at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run
>        at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.runTask
>        at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run
>        at java.lang.Thread.run
>

> This situation resulted for another few hours. No one was able to perform
> any operation with the application and If any one tried to perform any
> action, it resulted in the above exception during that period. But, this
> situation resolved by itself after few hours and it started working like
> normal. Can you tell me if this situation was due to deadlock condition or
> was it due to the CPU utilization going beyond 100%? If it was due to the
> deadloack, then why did we not get any such messages in the log files?Or is
> it due to some other problem?Am I missing anything? Can you guide me on
> this?

Re: Null Pointer Exception in SOLR

mechravi25
Hi,

I'm using the following configuration for solr

Solr Specification Version: 1.4.0.2010.01.13.08.09.44
Solr Implementation Version: 1.5-dev exported - yonik - 2010-01-13 08:09:44
Lucene Specification Version: 2.9.1-dev
Lucene Implementation Version: 2.9.1-dev 888785 - 2009-12-09 18:03:31
Current Time: Thu May 03 05:38:12 MST 2012
Server Start Time:Wed May 02 03:45:58 MST 2012

I was trying to delete a part of a document from the UI. In this situation, the index file got updated only after 2hrs when the application unfroze.

Here, I also observed that I was getting the following Highlighting error mostly. Is there a problem with using this highlighting feature?

INFO: [corex] webapp=/solr path=/select params={facet=true&f.CFacet.facet.limit=160&hl.fl=*&wt=javabin&hl=false&rows=2&version=1&f.rFacet.facet.limit=160&fl=uxid,sch&start=0&f.tFacet.facet.limit=160&q=uxid:"Plan for Today"&facet.field=CFacet&facet.field=tFacet&facet.field=rFacet&?=&isShard=true&fs=true} hits=1 status=0 QTime=6

SEVERE: java.lang.NullPointerException
                at org.apache.solr.highlight.SolrHighlighter.getHighlightFields
                at org.apache.solr.highlight.DefaultSolrHighlighter.doHighlighting

                at org.apache.solr.handler.component.HighlightComponent.process
                at org.apache.solr.handler.component.SearchHandler.handleRequestBody
                at org.apache.solr.handler.RequestHandlerBase.handleRequest
                at org.apache.solr.core.SolrCore.execute
                at org.apache.solr.servlet.SolrDispatchFilter.execute
                at org.apache.solr.servlet.SolrDispatchFilter.doFilter
                at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler$CachedChain.doFilter
                at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler.handle
                at org.mortbay.jetty.security.SecurityHandler.handle
                at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.SessionHandler.handle
                at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.ContextHandler.handle
                at org.mortbay.jetty.webapp.WebAppContext.handle
                at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.ContextHandlerCollection.handle
                at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.HandlerCollection.handle
                at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.HandlerWrapper.handle
                at org.mortbay.jetty.Server.handle
                at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpConnection.handleRequest
                at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpConnection$RequestHandler.content
                at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpParser.parseNext
                at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpParser.parseAvailable
                at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpConnection.handle
                at org.mortbay.jetty.bio.SocketConnector$Connection.run
                at org.mortbay.thread.BoundedThreadPool$PoolThread.run