Nutch 2.3.1: Compile error "org.apache.jasper cannot be resolved to a type" in unit tests TestProtocolHttp.java and TestProtocolHttpClient.java

Nutch 2.3.1: Compile error "org.apache.jasper cannot be resolved to a type" in unit tests TestProtocolHttp.java and TestProtocolHttpClient.java

Allen Pouratian
Hello Nutch Developers-

This is my first time emailing any open source project's email list. Please forgive any breaches of customs, or oversights.

I'm following the directions in https://wiki.apache.org/nutch/RunNutchInEclipse and after importing Nutch 2.3.1 into Eclipse, I'm getting build errors in TestProtocolHttp.java and TestProtocolHttpClient.java on line 66.

It's the same constructor in both files:

ServletHolder sh = new ServletHolder(org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.class);

I'm running...

- Ubuntu 16.04 LTS 64 bit system with the latest patches
- java 1.8.0_151 64bit
- ant 1.9.6
- Nutch 2.3.1 released January 16th 2016.
- Eclipse 4.7 Oxygen

I've tried downloading a jasper jar file and right clicking on the Unit Test, and doing Build Path --> Configure Build Path --> Add External Jars and it still would not work.

If I should be emailing [hidden email], then please say so. I'm guessing this is merely a developer issue and local to my setup, as certainly a "compile error" wouldn't be released.

Best Regards,
Allen Pouratian
Software Developer

Allen Pouratian
Software Developer

Re: Nutch 2.3.1: Compile error "org.apache.jasper cannot be resolved to a type" in unit tests TestProtocolHttp.java and TestProtocolHttpClient.java

Allen Pouratian
Hello -

Figured it out.

1) Download tomcat 6.0.53
2) Add jasper.jar as an external lib (not the completely different (embarrassed after the fact) jasper-reports.jar I downloaded before)

Thanks for your time, I apologize for any inconvenience.

Allen Pouratian
Software Developer