Optimizing the performance of a Nutch-based web application?

Optimizing the performance of a Nutch-based web application?

Chun Wei Ho
Hi,

We have just deployed a nutch-0.7.1 based web application - with a
single index of approximately 1.4 GB and growing - on Tomcat 5.

We are seeing some performance issues on our web application - the
response time is usually within seconds but occasionally spikes to an
unacceptable 20-30s. Does anyone have any ideas or general tips/hints
on performance optimization for nutch or Tomcat (for deploying a nutch
web application). Any suggestions for Tomcat mem/processor/disk
settings that, from your experience, has helped to improve
performance?

Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! :)

Regards,
CW

Re: Optimizing the performance of a Nutch-based web application?

Thomas Delnoij-3
Hi Chun Wei.

just google for 'tomcat performance tuning', you will find a lot of helpfull
information.

For instance:

http://tomcat.apache.org/articles/performance.pdf
http://www.javaworld.com/channel_content/jw-performance-index.shtml

Rgrds, Thomas

On 4/27/06, Chun Wei Ho <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We have just deployed a nutch-0.7.1 based web application - with a
> single index of approximately 1.4 GB and growing - on Tomcat 5.
>
> We are seeing some performance issues on our web application - the
> response time is usually within seconds but occasionally spikes to an
> unacceptable 20-30s. Does anyone have any ideas or general tips/hints
> on performance optimization for nutch or Tomcat (for deploying a nutch
> web application). Any suggestions for Tomcat mem/processor/disk
> settings that, from your experience, has helped to improve
> performance?
>
> Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! :)
>
> Regards,
> CW

Re: Optimizing the performance of a Nutch-based web application?

Thomas Delnoij-3
Some more:

http://kinetic.more.net/web/javaserver/resources/wpapers/printer/performance.pdf
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/misc/perf-tuning.html