Parent child documents partial update

Sujay Bawaskar-2
Hi,

Need a help to understand solr parent child document partial update
behaviour. Can we perform partial update on parent document without losing
its chiild documents? My observation is that parent child relationship
between documents get lost in case partial update is performed on parent.
Any work around or solution to this issue?

Sujay P Bawaskar
M:+91-77091 53669

Re: Parent child documents partial update

Amrit Sarkar
Sujay,

Not really. Parent-child documents are stored in a single block
contiguously. Read more about parent-child relationship at:
https://medium.com/@sarkaramrit2/multiple-documents-with-same-doc-id-in-index-in-solr-cloud-32c072db2164

While we perform partial / atomic update, say {"id":"X",
"fieldA":{"set":"Z"}, that particular doc with X will be fetched (all the
"stored" fields), update will be performed and indexed, all happens in
*DistributedUpdateProcessor* internally. So there is no way it will fetch
the child documents along with it.

I am not sure whether this can be done with current code or it will be
fixed / improved in the future.

Amrit Sarkar
Search Engineer
Lucidworks, Inc.
415-589-9269
www.lucidworks.com
Twitter http://twitter.com/lucidworks
LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/sarkaramrit2

On Mon, Jul 17, 2017 at 12:44 PM, Sujay Bawaskar <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Need a help to understand solr parent child document partial update
> behaviour. Can we perform partial update on parent document without losing
> its chiild documents? My observation is that parent child relationship
> between documents get lost in case partial update is performed on parent.
> Any work around or solution to this issue?

> Sujay P Bawaskar
> M:+91-77091 53669

Re: Parent child documents partial update

Sujay Bawaskar-2
Thanks Amrit. So storage mechanism of parent child documents is limiting
the capability of partial update. It would be great to have flawless parent
child index support in solr.

On 17-Jul-2017 11:14 PM, "Amrit Sarkar" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Sujay,
>
> Not really. Parent-child documents are stored in a single block
> contiguously. Read more about parent-child relationship at:
> https://medium.com/@sarkaramrit2/multiple-documents-with-same-doc-id-in-
> index-in-solr-cloud-32c072db2164
>
> While we perform partial / atomic update, say {"id":"X",
> "fieldA":{"set":"Z"}, that particular doc with X will be fetched (all the
> "stored" fields), update will be performed and indexed, all happens in
> *DistributedUpdateProcessor* internally. So there is no way it will fetch
> the child documents along with it.
>
> I am not sure whether this can be done with current code or it will be
> fixed / improved in the future.
>
> Amrit Sarkar
> Search Engineer
> Lucidworks, Inc.
> 415-589-9269
> www.lucidworks.com
> Twitter http://twitter.com/lucidworks
> LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/sarkaramrit2
>
> On Mon, Jul 17, 2017 at 12:44 PM, Sujay Bawaskar <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > Need a help to understand solr parent child document partial update
> > behaviour. Can we perform partial update on parent document without
> losing
> > its chiild documents? My observation is that parent child relationship
> > between documents get lost in case partial update is performed on parent.
> > Any work around or solution to this issue?
> >
> > --
> > Thanks,
> > Sujay P Bawaskar
> > M:+91-77091 53669

Re: Parent child documents partial update

Amrit Sarkar
Sujay,

Lucene index is in flat-object document style, so I really not think nested
documents at index / storage will ever be supported unless someone change
the very intricacy of the index.

Amrit Sarkar
Search Engineer
Lucidworks, Inc.
415-589-9269
www.lucidworks.com
Twitter http://twitter.com/lucidworks
LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/sarkaramrit2

On Tue, Jul 18, 2017 at 8:11 AM, Sujay Bawaskar <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Thanks Amrit. So storage mechanism of parent child documents is limiting
> the capability of partial update. It would be great to have flawless parent
> child index support in solr.
>
> On 17-Jul-2017 11:14 PM, "Amrit Sarkar" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Sujay,
> >
> > Not really. Parent-child documents are stored in a single block
> > contiguously. Read more about parent-child relationship at:
> > https://medium.com/@sarkaramrit2/multiple-documents-with-same-doc-id-in-
> > index-in-solr-cloud-32c072db2164
> >
> > While we perform partial / atomic update, say {"id":"X",
> > "fieldA":{"set":"Z"}, that particular doc with X will be fetched (all the
> > "stored" fields), update will be performed and indexed, all happens in
> > *DistributedUpdateProcessor* internally. So there is no way it will fetch
> > the child documents along with it.
> >
> > I am not sure whether this can be done with current code or it will be
> > fixed / improved in the future.
> >
> > Amrit Sarkar
> > Search Engineer
> > Lucidworks, Inc.
> > 415-589-9269
> > www.lucidworks.com
> > Twitter http://twitter.com/lucidworks
> > LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/sarkaramrit2
> >
> > On Mon, Jul 17, 2017 at 12:44 PM, Sujay Bawaskar <
> [hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > Need a help to understand solr parent child document partial update
> > > behaviour. Can we perform partial update on parent document without
> > losing
> > > its chiild documents? My observation is that parent child relationship
> > > between documents get lost in case partial update is performed on
> parent.
> > > Any work around or solution to this issue?
> > >
> > > --
> > > Thanks,
> > > Sujay P Bawaskar
> > > M:+91-77091 53669

Re: Parent child documents partial update

Sujay Bawaskar
Yup, got it!