Patch Available status?

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
12 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Patch Available status?

chrismattmann
Hi Guys,

 I've seen on the Hadoop mailing list recently that there was a new status
added for issues in JIRA called "Patch Available" to let committers know
that a patch is ready for review to commit. How about we add this to the
Nutch jira instance as well? I tried doing this, but I don't think I have
the permissions to do so.

 I've got 2 patches for issues that are attached in jira that I'd like to
set as having this new status :-)

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/NUTCH-338
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/NUTCH-258

Cheers,
  Chris



Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Patch Available status?

Sami Siren-2
Chris Mattmann wrote:
> Hi Guys,
>
>  I've seen on the Hadoop mailing list recently that there was a new status
> added for issues in JIRA called "Patch Available" to let committers know
> that a patch is ready for review to commit. How about we add this to the
> Nutch jira instance as well?

+1

I tried doing this, but I don't think I have
> the permissions to do so.

I am not able to do it either, or then I just don't know how, can Doug
help us here?

--
  Sami Siren
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Patch Available status?

Doug Cutting
Sami Siren wrote:
> I am not able to do it either, or then I just don't know how, can Doug
> help us here?

This requires a change the the project's workflow.  I'd be happy to move
Nutch to use the workflow we use for Hadoop, which supports "Patch
Available".

This workflow has one other non-default feature, which is that bugs,
once closed, cannot be re-opened.  This works as follows: Only project
administrators are allowed to close issues.  Bugs are resolved as
they're fixed, and only closed when a release is made.  This keeps the
release notes Jira generates from changing after a release is made.

Would you like me to switch Nutch to use this Jira workflow?

Doug
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Patch Available status?

Andrzej Białecki-2
Doug Cutting wrote:

> Sami Siren wrote:
>> I am not able to do it either, or then I just don't know how, can
>> Doug help us here?
>
> This requires a change the the project's workflow.  I'd be happy to
> move Nutch to use the workflow we use for Hadoop, which supports
> "Patch Available".
>
> This workflow has one other non-default feature, which is that bugs,
> once closed, cannot be re-opened.  This works as follows: Only project
> administrators are allowed to close issues.  Bugs are resolved as
> they're fixed, and only closed when a release is made.  This keeps the
> release notes Jira generates from changing after a release is made.
>
> Would you like me to switch Nutch to use this Jira workflow?

+1, this would finally make sense with the "resolved" vs. "closed" ...

--
Best regards,
Andrzej Bialecki     <><
 ___. ___ ___ ___ _ _   __________________________________
[__ || __|__/|__||\/|  Information Retrieval, Semantic Web
___|||__||  \|  ||  |  Embedded Unix, System Integration
http://www.sigram.com  Contact: info at sigram dot com


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Patch Available status?

chrismattmann
Hi Doug and Andrzej,

  +1. I think that workflow makes a lot of sense. Currently users in the
nutch-developers group can close and resolve issues. In the Hadoop workflow,
would this continue to be the case?

Cheers,
  Chris



On 8/30/06 3:14 PM, "Andrzej Bialecki" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Doug Cutting wrote:
>> Sami Siren wrote:
>>> I am not able to do it either, or then I just don't know how, can
>>> Doug help us here?
>>
>> This requires a change the the project's workflow.  I'd be happy to
>> move Nutch to use the workflow we use for Hadoop, which supports
>> "Patch Available".
>>
>> This workflow has one other non-default feature, which is that bugs,
>> once closed, cannot be re-opened.  This works as follows: Only project
>> administrators are allowed to close issues.  Bugs are resolved as
>> they're fixed, and only closed when a release is made.  This keeps the
>> release notes Jira generates from changing after a release is made.
>>
>> Would you like me to switch Nutch to use this Jira workflow?
>
> +1, this would finally make sense with the "resolved" vs. "closed" ...


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Patch Available status?

Uroš Gruber-2
Chris Mattmann wrote:
> Hi Doug and Andrzej,
>
>   +1. I think that workflow makes a lot of sense. Currently users in the
> nutch-developers group can close and resolve issues. In the Hadoop workflow,
> would this continue to be the case?
>
>  
+1

Regards,
Uros

> Cheers,
>   Chris
>
>
>
> On 8/30/06 3:14 PM, "Andrzej Bialecki" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>  
>> Doug Cutting wrote:
>>    
>>> Sami Siren wrote:
>>>      
>>>> I am not able to do it either, or then I just don't know how, can
>>>> Doug help us here?
>>>>        
>>> This requires a change the the project's workflow.  I'd be happy to
>>> move Nutch to use the workflow we use for Hadoop, which supports
>>> "Patch Available".
>>>
>>> This workflow has one other non-default feature, which is that bugs,
>>> once closed, cannot be re-opened.  This works as follows: Only project
>>> administrators are allowed to close issues.  Bugs are resolved as
>>> they're fixed, and only closed when a release is made.  This keeps the
>>> release notes Jira generates from changing after a release is made.
>>>
>>> Would you like me to switch Nutch to use this Jira workflow?
>>>      
>> +1, this would finally make sense with the "resolved" vs. "closed" ...
>>    
>
>
>  

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Patch Available status?

Doug Cutting
In reply to this post by chrismattmann
Chris Mattmann wrote:
>   +1. I think that workflow makes a lot of sense. Currently users in the
> nutch-developers group can close and resolve issues. In the Hadoop workflow,
> would this continue to be the case?

In Hadoop, most developers can resolve but not close.  Only members of a
separate Jira group (hadoop-admin a subset of hadoop-developers) are
permitted to close bugs.  Note that the Jira group hadoop-developers has
far more members than Hadoop has committers.

But the nutch-developers Jira group pretty closely corresponds to
Nutch's committers, so perhaps all committers should be permitted to
close, although this should be exercised with caution, only at releases,
since closes cannot be undone in this workflow.

Another alternative would be to construct a new workflow that just adds
the "Patch Available" status and still permits issues to be re-opened.

Which sounds best for Nutch?

Doug
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Patch Available status?

Andrzej Białecki-2
Doug Cutting wrote:

> Chris Mattmann wrote:
>>   +1. I think that workflow makes a lot of sense. Currently users in the
>> nutch-developers group can close and resolve issues. In the Hadoop
>> workflow,
>> would this continue to be the case?
>
> In Hadoop, most developers can resolve but not close.  Only members of
> a separate Jira group (hadoop-admin a subset of hadoop-developers) are
> permitted to close bugs.  Note that the Jira group hadoop-developers
> has far more members than Hadoop has committers.
>
> But the nutch-developers Jira group pretty closely corresponds to
> Nutch's committers, so perhaps all committers should be permitted to
> close, although this should be exercised with caution, only at
> releases, since closes cannot be undone in this workflow.

If closing is supposed to happen only at the release, then the release
engineer (whoever that is) should be the one to have this right, and
perhaps 1 other person if the RE person is unavailable.


>
> Another alternative would be to construct a new workflow that just
> adds the "Patch Available" status and still permits issues to be
> re-opened.
>
> Which sounds best for Nutch?

I'm trying to remember when it was the last time that we had to re-open
an issue ... not that often, even though we usually do "resolve AND
close". So perhaps we can live with this limitation.

--
Best regards,
Andrzej Bialecki     <><
 ___. ___ ___ ___ _ _   __________________________________
[__ || __|__/|__||\/|  Information Retrieval, Semantic Web
___|||__||  \|  ||  |  Embedded Unix, System Integration
http://www.sigram.com  Contact: info at sigram dot com


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Patch Available status?

Stefan Groschupf
In reply to this post by Doug Cutting
>
> Another alternative would be to construct a new workflow that just  
> adds the "Patch Available" status and still permits issues to be re-
> opened.
>
+1

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Patch Available status?

chrismattmann
In reply to this post by Doug Cutting
Hi Doug,

>
> But the nutch-developers Jira group pretty closely corresponds to
> Nutch's committers, so perhaps all committers should be permitted to
> close, although this should be exercised with caution, only at releases,
> since closes cannot be undone in this workflow.
>
> Another alternative would be to construct a new workflow that just adds
> the "Patch Available" status and still permits issues to be re-opened.
>
> Which sounds best for Nutch?

Good question. Well, my personal preference would be for one that allows
issue closes to be undone, as I've seen several cases (even some recent ones
such as NUTCH-258) where someone in the nutch-developers group has closed an
issue (including myself) that users in fact don't believe is resolved.

So my +1 for having the 2nd option above: an alternative workflow to that of
the Hadoop one that simply adds the "Patch Available" status and still
permits issues to be re-opened.

Just my 2 cents.

Thanks!

Cheers,
  Chris
 
>
> Doug


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Patch Available status?

Piotr Kosiorowski
I like Hadoop version of workflow. I do not think that we would have
problems with reopenning as issues would not be closed immidiatelly
after resolving them. In some extreme situations one can always open a
new bug that references closed one.
Piotr
On 9/1/06, Chris Mattmann <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Doug,
>
> >
> > But the nutch-developers Jira group pretty closely corresponds to
> > Nutch's committers, so perhaps all committers should be permitted to
> > close, although this should be exercised with caution, only at releases,
> > since closes cannot be undone in this workflow.
> >
> > Another alternative would be to construct a new workflow that just adds
> > the "Patch Available" status and still permits issues to be re-opened.
> >
> > Which sounds best for Nutch?
>
> Good question. Well, my personal preference would be for one that allows
> issue closes to be undone, as I've seen several cases (even some recent ones
> such as NUTCH-258) where someone in the nutch-developers group has closed an
> issue (including myself) that users in fact don't believe is resolved.
>
> So my +1 for having the 2nd option above: an alternative workflow to that of
> the Hadoop one that simply adds the "Patch Available" status and still
> permits issues to be re-opened.
>
> Just my 2 cents.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Cheers,
>   Chris
>
> >
> > Doug
>
>
>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Patch Available status?

Otis Gospodnetic-2-2
In reply to this post by chrismattmann
Sorry if I missed followups to this (catching up on emails after vacation).
This sounds like a good idea (because JIRA is often full of bug reports, enhancement requests, and only some issues have patches, and those can get stale, so reviewing and applying them quickly is important).

I took a quick look at JIRA, tried editing an issue, but didn't see the status option anywhere.

Otis

----- Original Message ----
From: Chris Mattmann <[hidden email]>
To: "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>
Sent: Tuesday, August 15, 2006 4:18:28 PM
Subject: Patch Available status?

Hi Guys,

 I've seen on the Hadoop mailing list recently that there was a new status
added for issues in JIRA called "Patch Available" to let committers know
that a patch is ready for review to commit. How about we add this to the
Nutch jira instance as well? I tried doing this, but I don't think I have
the permissions to do so.

 I've got 2 patches for issues that are attached in jira that I'd like to
set as having this new status :-)

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/NUTCH-338
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/NUTCH-258

Cheers,
  Chris






Loading...