Problem using ExtractingRequestHandler with tomcat

Problem using ExtractingRequestHandler with tomcat

Fergus McMenemie
Hello all,

I cant get ExtractingRequestHandler to work with tomcat. Using the
latest version from svn and then a "make clean dist" and copying the
war file to a clean tomcat does not work.

Adding the following to solconfig.xml ands restarting tomcat i get

>  <requestHandler name="/update/extract" class="org.apache.solr.handler.extraction.ExtractingRequestHandler">
>    <lst name="defaults">
>      <str name="ext.map.Last-Modified">last_modified</str>
>      <bool name="ext.ignore.und.fl">true</bool>
>      </lst>
>    </requestHandler>

>Apr 2, 2009 9:20:02 AM org.apache.solr.util.plugin.AbstractPluginLoader load
>INFO: created /update/javabin: org.apache.solr.handler.BinaryUpdateRequestHandler
>Apr 2, 2009 9:20:02 AM org.apache.solr.common.SolrException log
>SEVERE: org.apache.solr.common.SolrException: Error loading class 'org.apache.solr.handler.extraction.ExtractingRequestHandler'
> at org.apache.solr.core.SolrResourceLoader.findClass(SolrResourceLoader.java:310)
> at org.apache.solr.core.SolrResourceLoader.newInstance(SolrResourceLoader.java:325)
> at org.apache.solr.util.plugin.AbstractPluginLoader.create(AbstractPluginLoader.java:84)
> at org.apache.solr.core.RequestHandlers$1.create(RequestHandlers.java:154)
> at org.apache.solr.core.RequestHandlers$1.create(RequestHandlers.java:163)

Any ideas?

Fergus McMenemie               Email:[hidden email]
Techmore Ltd                   Phone:(UK) 07721 376021

Unix/Mac/Intranets             Analyst Programmer

Re: Problem using ExtractingRequestHandler with tomcat

Erik Hatcher

On Apr 2, 2009, at 4:26 AM, Fergus McMenemie wrote:
> I cant get ExtractingRequestHandler to work with tomcat. Using the
> latest version from svn and then a "make clean dist" and copying the
> war file to a clean tomcat does not work.

make?!  :)

try "ant example" to see if that gets it working - it copies the
ExtractingRequestHandler JAR and dependencies to <solr-home>/lib

        Erik

> Adding the following to solconfig.xml ands restarting tomcat i get
>
>> <requestHandler name="/update/extract"
>> class="org.apache.solr.handler.extraction.ExtractingRequestHandler">
>>   <lst name="defaults">
>>     <str name="ext.map.Last-Modified">last_modified</str>
>>     <bool name="ext.ignore.und.fl">true</bool>
>>     </lst>
>>   </requestHandler>
>

>> Apr 2, 2009 9:20:02 AM
>> org.apache.solr.util.plugin.AbstractPluginLoader load
>> INFO: created /update/javabin:
>> org.apache.solr.handler.BinaryUpdateRequestHandler
>> Apr 2, 2009 9:20:02 AM org.apache.solr.common.SolrException log
>> SEVERE: org.apache.solr.common.SolrException: Error loading class
>> 'org.apache.solr.handler.extraction.ExtractingRequestHandler'
>> at
>> org
>> .apache
>> .solr.core.SolrResourceLoader.findClass(SolrResourceLoader.java:310)
>> at
>> org
>> .apache
>> .solr.core.SolrResourceLoader.newInstance(SolrResourceLoader.java:
>> 325)
>> at
>> org
>> .apache
>> .solr
>> .util.plugin.AbstractPluginLoader.create(AbstractPluginLoader.java:
>> 84)
>> at org.apache.solr.core.RequestHandlers
>> $1.create(RequestHandlers.java:154)
>> at org.apache.solr.core.RequestHandlers
>> $1.create(RequestHandlers.java:163)
>
> Any ideas?

> Fergus McMenemie               Email:[hidden email]
> Techmore Ltd                   Phone:(UK) 07721 376021
>
> Unix/Mac/Intranets             Analyst Programmer

Re: Problem using ExtractingRequestHandler with tomcat

Fergus McMenemie
>On Apr 2, 2009, at 4:26 AM, Fergus McMenemie wrote:
>> I cant get ExtractingRequestHandler to work with tomcat. Using the
>> latest version from svn and then a "make clean dist" and copying the
>> war file to a clean tomcat does not work.
>
>make?!  :)
Oops!

>try "ant example" to see if that gets it working - it copies the
>ExtractingRequestHandler JAR and dependencies to <solr-home>/lib
>
> Erik

Thanks. Copying all those jar files to my solr/lib directory was
the trick. But why do I have to do this; is it by design or
because ExtractingRequestHandler is yet to be fully incorporated
into Solr?

Regards Fergus.

On Apr 2, 2009, at 4:55 AM, Fergus McMenemie wrote:
> Thanks. Copying all those jar files to my solr/lib directory was
> the trick. But why do I have to do this; is it by design or
> because ExtractingRequestHandler is yet to be fully incorporated
> into Solr?

It's fully integrated into the example as a "plugin" and runs out of
the box there.  It's not built into the .war file because it is pretty
bulky and may not be desirable for everyone.

        Erik

Re: Problem using ExtractingRequestHandler with tomcat

solenweg
I'm in the same situation, but is not getting what this ant example is about. Can't find anything in solr about it. Could I get anyone to write a little more specific what one have to do to get rid of the Error loading class 'org.apache.solr.handler.extraction.ExtractingRequestHandler' exception.

Thanks.

---------------------
-
Erik Hatcher wrote
On Apr 2, 2009, at 4:26 AM, Fergus McMenemie wrote:
> I cant get ExtractingRequestHandler to work with tomcat. Using the
> latest version from svn and then a "make clean dist" and copying the
> war file to a clean tomcat does not work.

make?!  :)

try "ant example" to see if that gets it working - it copies the
ExtractingRequestHandler JAR and dependencies to <solr-home>/lib

        Erik

> Adding the following to solconfig.xml ands restarting tomcat i get
>
>> <requestHandler name="/update/extract"
>> class="org.apache.solr.handler.extraction.ExtractingRequestHandler">
>>   <lst name="defaults">
>>     <str name="ext.map.Last-Modified">last_modified</str>
>>     <bool name="ext.ignore.und.fl">true</bool>
>>     </lst>
>>   </requestHandler>
>

>> Apr 2, 2009 9:20:02 AM
>> org.apache.solr.util.plugin.AbstractPluginLoader load
>> INFO: created /update/javabin:
>> org.apache.solr.handler.BinaryUpdateRequestHandler
>> Apr 2, 2009 9:20:02 AM org.apache.solr.common.SolrException log
>> SEVERE: org.apache.solr.common.SolrException: Error loading class
>> 'org.apache.solr.handler.extraction.ExtractingRequestHandler'
>> at
>> org
>> .apache
>> .solr.core.SolrResourceLoader.findClass(SolrResourceLoader.java:310)
>> at
>> org
>> .apache
>> .solr.core.SolrResourceLoader.newInstance(SolrResourceLoader.java:
>> 325)
>> at
>> org
>> .apache
>> .solr
>> .util.plugin.AbstractPluginLoader.create(AbstractPluginLoader.java:
>> 84)
>> at org.apache.solr.core.RequestHandlers
>> $1.create(RequestHandlers.java:154)
>> at org.apache.solr.core.RequestHandlers
>> $1.create(RequestHandlers.java:163)
>
> Any ideas?

> Fergus McMenemie               Email:fergus@twig.me.uk
> Techmore Ltd                   Phone:(UK) 07721 376021
>
> Unix/Mac/Intranets             Analyst Programmer

Re: Problem using ExtractingRequestHandler with tomcat

mredding
Eric,

Same issue here.  We ran ant example and it created the 1.4.1-dev.war file.

The next error we ran into though was a class loading error for TikaException

We have at this point just repackaged the war file, by slamming everything in there, but it seems like there should be a better way.

Any idea why ant example didn't include TikaException  ??

-Mark

Erik Hatcher wrote