QueryParser syntax French Operator

Patrick Turcotte-3
Hi,

Is there a way to add / replace the text for the boolean operators used
by the query parser?

We would like to replace (or even better, add), "AND", "OR" and "NOT" by
"ET", "OU" and "SAUF".

Is there a way to configure the QueryParser to do it?

We know we could always modify QueryParser.jj to add them to the list,
but we'd rather like not to have to recompile/rejar each time there is a
new version of Lucene.

Thanks

--
Patrick Turcotte

Re: QueryParser syntax French Operator

Erik Hatcher
Currently AND/OR/NOT are hardcoded into the .jj file.  A patch to
make this configurable would be welcome!

        Erik

On Oct 3, 2006, at 11:15 AM, Patrick Turcotte wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Is there a way to add / replace the text for the boolean operators
> used
> by the query parser?
>
> We would like to replace (or even better, add), "AND", "OR" and
> "NOT" by
> "ET", "OU" and "SAUF".
>
> Is there a way to configure the QueryParser to do it?
>
> We know we could always modify QueryParser.jj to add them to the list,
> but we'd rather like not to have to recompile/rejar each time there
> is a
> new version of Lucene.
>
> Thanks
>
> --
> Patrick Turcotte

Re: QueryParser syntax French Operator

Mark Miller-3
Oh wouldn't we all. I want this too. Unfortunately, it's an elusive
beast at best. As I am sure you know, JavaCC generates code based on the
grammar and so it is very hard to alter the grammar after JavaCC'ing it.
If you relax the 'add' part then you might be able to do something with
QueryParserConstants.java. This holds an int for each string in the
grammar which indexes into a String array...check it out and you will
see what I mean. So replacing may be as easy as modifying the 'and' and
'or' and whatnot in that String array. You might make a conditional
build file that includes the correct QueryParserConstants.java or
something. I have not explored this too deeply so if you find something
better or this is a dead end, please let me know.

- Mark

Patrick Turcotte wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Is there a way to add / replace the text for the boolean operators used
> by the query parser?
>
> We would like to replace (or even better, add), "AND", "OR" and "NOT" by
> "ET", "OU" and "SAUF".
>
> Is there a way to configure the QueryParser to do it?
>
> We know we could always modify QueryParser.jj to add them to the list,
> but we'd rather like not to have to recompile/rejar each time there is a
> new version of Lucene.
>
> Thanks

Re: QueryParser syntax French Operator

Ronnie Kolehmainen
Wouldn't the easiest fix be to just alter the users query string before passing
it to queryparser (moving the semantics of your search app outside of lucene)?
Something like:

str.replaceAll(" ET ", " AND ").replaceAll(" OU ", " OR ").replaceAll(" SAUF ",
" NOT ")

On Oct 4, 2006, at 2:18 AM, Ronnie Kolehmainen wrote:

> Wouldn't the easiest fix be to just alter the users query string
> before passing
> it to queryparser (moving the semantics of your search app outside
> of lucene)?
> Something like:
>
> str.replaceAll(" ET ", " AND ").replaceAll(" OU ", " OR
> ").replaceAll(" SAUF ",
> " NOT ")

The problem would be in cases where the users query was:

        title:"SANFORD AND SON" OR genre:comedy

> Citerar Mark Miller <[hidden email]>:
>
>> Oh wouldn't we all. I want this too. Unfortunately, it's an elusive
>> beast at best. As I am sure you know, JavaCC generates code based
>> on the
>> grammar and so it is very hard to alter the grammar after
>> JavaCC'ing it.
>> If you relax the 'add' part then you might be able to do something
>> with
>> QueryParserConstants.java. This holds an int for each string in the
>> grammar which indexes into a String array...check it out and you will
>> see what I mean. So replacing may be as easy as modifying the
>> 'and' and
>> 'or' and whatnot in that String array. You might make a conditional
>> build file that includes the correct QueryParserConstants.java or
>> something. I have not explored this too deeply so if you find
>> something
>> better or this is a dead end, please let me know.
>>
>> - Mark
>>
>> Patrick Turcotte wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Is there a way to add / replace the text for the boolean
>>> operators used
>>> by the query parser?
>>>
>>> We would like to replace (or even better, add), "AND", "OR" and
>>> "NOT" by
>>> "ET", "OU" and "SAUF".
>>>
>>> Is there a way to configure the QueryParser to do it?
>>>
>>> We know we could always modify QueryParser.jj to add them to the
>>> list,
>>> but we'd rather like not to have to recompile/rejar each time
>>> there is a
>>> new version of Lucene.
>>>
>>> Thanks

Re: QueryParser syntax French Operator

Patrick Turcotte-3

I've started to look into this (and the whole javacc syntax) I'll keep
you posted on my results.

Patrick

Erik Hatcher wrote:

> Currently AND/OR/NOT are hardcoded into the .jj file.  A patch to make
> this configurable would be welcome!
>
>     Erik
>

> On Oct 3, 2006, at 11:15 AM, Patrick Turcotte wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Is there a way to add / replace the text for the boolean operators used
>> by the query parser?
>>
>> We would like to replace (or even better, add), "AND", "OR" and "NOT" by
>> "ET", "OU" and "SAUF".

Re: QueryParser syntax French Operator

Otis Gospodnetic-2
Hi Patrick,

If I were trying to do this, I'd modify QueryParser.jj to construct the grammar for boolean operators based on something like Locale (or LANG env. variable?).  I'd try adding code a la:
en_AND = AND
en_OR = OR
en_NOT = NOT
fr_AND = ET
fr_OR = OU
fr_NOT = SAUF

And then:
if (locale is 'fr')
 // construct the grammar with fr_*

Something like that.

Otis

Re: QueryParser syntax French Operator

Karl Wettin
On 10/8/06, Otis Gospodnetic <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Patrick,
>
> If I were trying to do this, I'd modify QueryParser.jj to construct the grammar for boolean operators based on something like Locale (or LANG env. variable?).  I'd try adding code a la:
> en_AND = AND
> en_OR = OR
> en_NOT = NOT
> fr_AND = ET
> fr_OR = OU
> fr_NOT = SAUF
>
> And then:
> if (locale is 'fr')
>  // construct the grammar with fr_*
>
> Something like that.

It is a good thought, but as number of locales grows with similar
languages you'll get deterministic errors in the lexer. So I would
absolutely recommend one grammar file per language. Not sure if JavaCC
allows inheritance, but with ANTlr this would be a very simple and
effective way to solve the problem.

RE: QueryParser syntax French Operator

Patrick Turcotte-3

        Hi,

        I was thinking of something along those lines.

        Last week, I was able to take time to understand the JavaCC syntax and
possiblities.

        I have some cleaning up, testing and documentation to do, but basically, I
was able to expand the AND / OR / NOT patterns at runtime using the
ResourceBundle paradigm. I'll keep you posted.

Patrick

QueryParser syntax French Operator : DONE!

Patrick Turcotte-3
Hello!

This may not be the best place for this message, sorry if this is the
case, but since this is the result of a question I asked here, I decided
to post it here. If I'm in error, please refer me to the best procedure.
Thanks!

I've completed the desired "patch". I now have a version of the
QueryParser that can "understand" the AND, OR and NOT keyword in other
languages.

1) Patched from revision 454769 of lucene 2.1dev (trunk)
2) The "ant test" target is still successful when the modified
QueryParser is used
3) It doesn't break actual code
4) The default behavior is the same as before
5) It has to be deliberately activated
6) It use ResourceBundle to find the keywords translation
7) Comes with FRENCH translation
8) Comes with JUnit testCases
9) Adds 1 public method to QueryParser

So, now, how do I go about sending it all to the those who can decide to
integrate it? Where? In what format? Etc.

Thanks,

Patrick Turcotte

Re: QueryParser syntax French Operator : DONE!

Grant Ingersoll-2
Hi Patrick,

Thanks for the work.  Create a bug in JIRA and upload a patch (see
svn diff).  See the Wiki for information on how to contribute.

Thanks,
Grant

On Oct 13, 2006, at 10:40 AM, Patrick Turcotte wrote:

> Hello!
>
> This may not be the best place for this message, sorry if this is
> the case, but since this is the result of a question I asked here,
> I decided to post it here. If I'm in error, please refer me to the
> best procedure. Thanks!
>
> I've completed the desired "patch". I now have a version of the
> QueryParser that can "understand" the AND, OR and NOT keyword in
> other languages.
>
> 1) Patched from revision 454769 of lucene 2.1dev (trunk)
> 2) The "ant test" target is still successful when the modified
> QueryParser is used
> 3) It doesn't break actual code
> 4) The default behavior is the same as before
> 5) It has to be deliberately activated
> 6) It use ResourceBundle to find the keywords translation
> 7) Comes with FRENCH translation
> 8) Comes with JUnit testCases
> 9) Adds 1 public method to QueryParser
>
> So, now, how do I go about sending it all to the those who can
> decide to integrate it? Where? In what format? Etc.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Patrick Turcotte

--------------------------
Grant Ingersoll
Sr. Software Engineer
Center for Natural Language Processing
Syracuse University
335 Hinds Hall
Syracuse, NY 13244
http://www.cnlp.org

Re: QueryParser syntax French Operator : DONE!

Mark Miller-3
Could you say in a few words what you did to accomplish this? I know that
you mentioned you used a resource bundle, but what part of the code reads
this resource bundle? What method did you use to get by the JavaCC issues?

thanks,

-Mark

On 10/13/06, Patrick Turcotte <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello!
>
> This may not be the best place for this message, sorry if this is the
> case, but since this is the result of a question I asked here, I decided
> to post it here. If I'm in error, please refer me to the best procedure.
> Thanks!
>
> I've completed the desired "patch". I now have a version of the
> QueryParser that can "understand" the AND, OR and NOT keyword in other
> languages.
>
> 1) Patched from revision 454769 of lucene 2.1dev (trunk)
> 2) The "ant test" target is still successful when the modified
> QueryParser is used
> 3) It doesn't break actual code
> 4) The default behavior is the same as before
> 5) It has to be deliberately activated
> 6) It use ResourceBundle to find the keywords translation
> 7) Comes with FRENCH translation
> 8) Comes with JUnit testCases
> 9) Adds 1 public method to QueryParser
>
> So, now, how do I go about sending it all to the those who can decide to
> integrate it? Where? In what format? Etc.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Patrick Turcotte

Re: QueryParser syntax French Operator : DONE!

Otis Gospodnetic-2
Had this page open for somebody else:
  http://wiki.apache.org/jakarta-lucene/HowToContribute

Otis

Mark Miller wrote:
> Could you say in a few words what you did to accomplish this? I know that
> you mentioned you used a resource bundle, but what part of the code reads
> this resource bundle? What method did you use to get by the JavaCC
> issues?

    Basically:

    * I used TOKEN_MGR_DECLS to declare fields in the TokenManager class.

    * When setting a Locale or setting the useLocalizedOperators options
      (new method) in QueryParser, I fetch, with ResourceBundle, the
      strings to match against and set (with token_source.fieldName)
      values to be used by the TokenManager class
    * I expanded the token <TERM> to do further processing (as per
      JavaCC syntax), which create a TokenLixicalActions(Token
      matchedToken) in the TokenManager class with syntax:

<TERM: <_TERM_START_CHAR> (<_TERM_CHAR>)* >
{
    // THIS Will end up in TokenLixicalActions(Token matchedToken) method
    // DEFINE java processing with matchedToken.image to get to the
matched string, set matchedToken.kind accordingly.
    // USES fields set by the QueryParser to decide on behavior
}

    Hope this answer your question.

Patrick

> thanks,
>
> -Mark
>
> On 10/13/06, Patrick Turcotte <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hello!
>>
>> This may not be the best place for this message, sorry if this is the
>> case, but since this is the result of a question I asked here, I decided
>> to post it here. If I'm in error, please refer me to the best procedure.
>> Thanks!
>>
>> I've completed the desired "patch". I now have a version of the
>> QueryParser that can "understand" the AND, OR and NOT keyword in other
>> languages.
>>
>> 1) Patched from revision 454769 of lucene 2.1dev (trunk)
>> 2) The "ant test" target is still successful when the modified
>> QueryParser is used
>> 3) It doesn't break actual code
>> 4) The default behavior is the same as before
>> 5) It has to be deliberately activated
>> 6) It use ResourceBundle to find the keywords translation
>> 7) Comes with FRENCH translation
>> 8) Comes with JUnit testCases
>> 9) Adds 1 public method to QueryParser
>>
>> So, now, how do I go about sending it all to the those who can decide to
>> integrate it? Where? In what format? Etc.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Patrick Turcotte

Patrick Turcotte

Re: QueryParser syntax French Operator : DONE!

Mark Miller-3
Great work Patrick. I was unfamiliar with the use of TOKEN_MGR_DECLS. Looks
like a powerfull feature for dynamic token selection. Thanks a lot,

- Mark

On 10/13/06, Patrick Turcotte <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Mark Miller wrote:
> > Could you say in a few words what you did to accomplish this? I know
> that
> > you mentioned you used a resource bundle, but what part of the code
> reads
> > this resource bundle? What method did you use to get by the JavaCC
> > issues?
> >
>     Basically:
>
>     * I used TOKEN_MGR_DECLS to declare fields in the TokenManager class.
>
>     * When setting a Locale or setting the useLocalizedOperators options
>       (new method) in QueryParser, I fetch, with ResourceBundle, the
>       strings to match against and set (with token_source.fieldName)
>       values to be used by the TokenManager class
>     * I expanded the token <TERM> to do further processing (as per
>       JavaCC syntax), which create a TokenLixicalActions(Token
>       matchedToken) in the TokenManager class with syntax:
>
> <TERM: <_TERM_START_CHAR> (<_TERM_CHAR>)* >
> {
>     // THIS Will end up in TokenLixicalActions(Token matchedToken) method
>     // DEFINE java processing with matchedToken.image to get to the
> matched string, set matchedToken.kind accordingly.
>     // USES fields set by the QueryParser to decide on behavior
> }
>
>     Hope this answer your question.
>
> Patrick
> > thanks,
> >
> > -Mark
> >
> > On 10/13/06, Patrick Turcotte <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >>
> >> Hello!
> >>
> >> This may not be the best place for this message, sorry if this is the
> >> case, but since this is the result of a question I asked here, I
> decided
> >> to post it here. If I'm in error, please refer me to the best
> procedure.
> >> Thanks!
> >>
> >> I've completed the desired "patch". I now have a version of the
> >> QueryParser that can "understand" the AND, OR and NOT keyword in other
> >> languages.
> >>
> >> 1) Patched from revision 454769 of lucene 2.1dev (trunk)
> >> 2) The "ant test" target is still successful when the modified
> >> QueryParser is used
> >> 3) It doesn't break actual code
> >> 4) The default behavior is the same as before
> >> 5) It has to be deliberately activated
> >> 6) It use ResourceBundle to find the keywords translation
> >> 7) Comes with FRENCH translation
> >> 8) Comes with JUnit testCases
> >> 9) Adds 1 public method to QueryParser
> >>
> >> So, now, how do I go about sending it all to the those who can decide
> >> integrate it? Where? In what format? Etc.
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >>
> >> Patrick Turcotte

> Patrick Turcotte

Re: QueryParser syntax French Operator : DONE!

Patrek
Thanks Mark!

I have to mention Benoit Mercier here who worked with me so we could
understand how to expand a term and use TOKEN_MGR_DECLS.

Patrick

On 10/13/06, Mark Miller <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Great work Patrick. I was unfamiliar with the use of TOKEN_MGR_DECLS.
> Looks
> like a powerfull feature for dynamic token selection. Thanks a lot,
>
> - Mark

Re: QueryParser syntax French Operator : DONE!

Patrick Turcotte-3
Submitted to Jira with key LUCENE-682

Patrick