Question RE: Contents of Field Value Cache

Question RE: Contents of Field Value Cache

benrollinger
Good Evening,

Running into a puzzle with my SOLR instance (bundled with WebSphere
Commerce).  I understand that FieldValueCache(FVC) roughly corresponds to
facets on the storefront.  Under normal processing we fill the FVC up to 137
and everything runs happy.  This roughly corresponds to the number of
facetable attributes on the front end.

But every so often (seems like it might correlate to indexprop timing), we
see the FVC climb up over 200.
 When it happens, it drives a bunch of extra CPU as the FVC cache hit ratio
decreases drastically (at 137 happy mode its right about 100% hit ratio).

So far have been unable to reproduce on demand, but users manage it a couple
times a week.  Since Im not finding how to reproduce, my next thought is how
can I log these entries, or more info about the contents?  So far Google
search hasnt helped with this much.  Nor did my PMR/IBM support case about
it.  If anyone has an idea how I can find & log the cache keys as they are
loaded, I'd very much appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Question RE: Contents of Field Value Cache

Mikhail Khludnev-2
Hello,
Every FVC entry corresponds to to a field, but capped by max size. So, it's
really odd that its' numbers peaked as some point of time. Note that some
caches support showItems parameter, check the doc.

Sincerely yours
Mikhail Khludnev

Re: Question RE: Contents of Field Value Cache

benrollinger
Mikhail Khludnev-2 wrote
> Hello,
> Every FVC entry corresponds to to a field, but capped by max size. So,
> it's
> really odd that its' numbers peaked as some point of time. Note that some
> caches support showItems parameter, check the doc.
>
> On Sat, May 4, 2019 at 11:04 AM benrollinger &lt;

> rollinger.benjamin.c@

> &gt;
> wrote:
>
>> Good Evening,
>>
>> Running into a puzzle with my SOLR instance (bundled with WebSphere
>> Commerce).  I understand that FieldValueCache(FVC) roughly corresponds to
>> facets on the storefront.  Under normal processing we fill the FVC up to
>> 137
>> and everything runs happy.  This roughly corresponds to the number of
>> facetable attributes on the front end.
>>
>> But every so often (seems like it might correlate to indexprop timing),
>> we
>> see the FVC climb up over 200.
>>  When it happens, it drives a bunch of extra CPU as the FVC cache hit
>> ratio
>> decreases drastically (at 137 happy mode its right about 100% hit ratio).
>>
>> So far have been unable to reproduce on demand, but users manage it a
>> couple
>> times a week.  Since Im not finding how to reproduce, my next thought is
>> how
>> can I log these entries, or more info about the contents?  So far Google
>> search hasnt helped with this much.  Nor did my PMR/IBM support case
>> about
>> it.  If anyone has an idea how I can find & log the cache keys as they
>> are
>> loaded, I'd very much appreciate it.
>>
>> Thanks in advance.
>>

>> --
>> Sent from: http://lucene.472066.n3.nabble.com/Solr-User-f472068.html
>>

> --
> Sincerely yours
> Mikhail Khludnev

Ah ha!  showItems should do the trick, I appreciate it!

And in case it helps any others in the future, for those running WCS, the
"keys" from the cache will correspond back to srchattrprop.propertyvalue
(table.col name).