RE: Is Lucene Java trunk still stable for production code?

RE: Is Lucene Java trunk still stable for production code?

Robichaud, Jean-Philippe-2
Thanks for your insight, it matches my thoughts.  The only reason I'm
wondering is because the latest change in the lucene_2_1 branch is 4
weeks old.  So either no bugs were found since then (yeah!) or the bugs
gets fixed in the trunk...

I'll search JIRA and decides after!

Thanks!

Jp

RE: Is Lucene Java trunk still stable for production code?

Chris Hostetter-3

: Thanks for your insight, it matches my thoughts.  The only reason I'm
: wondering is because the latest change in the lucene_2_1 branch is 4
: weeks old.  So either no bugs were found since then (yeah!) or the bugs
: gets fixed in the trunk...

The general policy that Doug has encouraged in teh past is to only commit
to the patch branch if/when a patch release is going to be made ... that
way there are less conflicts with merging and it's easier to understand
what exactly is going intothe patch release.

In general, i would suggest that the trunk no longer be considered
"stable" ... the current momentum is for more frequent releases, one
motivation for which is so people wanting "stable" builds don't feel
like they need to ues the trunk for the latest features,taking some burden
off commiters from needing to feel like every commit must be perfect
because users rely on the trunk being stable.

(or in short: we're moving more towards a *true* commit and review model)