Re: About supporting upcoming java versions

Re: About supporting upcoming java versions

Kihwal Lee-3
+1 It makes sense to converge on the LTS version.
Thanks for the initiative.

73
Kihwal

On Sun, Nov 4, 2018 at 10:10 PM Takanobu Asanuma <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> As discussed in HADOOP-11123, we stop fixing incompatibilities of JDK9 and
> JDK10, and would like to focus on supporting JDK11.
> This week, I plan to close HADOOP-11123(Support Java 9) and
> HADOOP-11423(Support Java 10) as duplicate/superceded, and move the
> unresolved sub-tasks to under HADOOP-15338(Support Java 11).
>
> If there are any opinions, please reply this email or comment on the jiras.
> Any help for supporting upcoming JDK would be highly appreciated.
>
> Regards,
> - Takanobu

Re: About supporting upcoming java versions

Owen O'Malley-3
I’m less convinced. I’ve hit at least one pretty serious JVM bug in JDK 11, so there is value in enabling JDK 9 and 10 even with blockers on JDK 11.

That said, I’d be surprised if the work items for JDK 9 and 10 aren’t a strict subset of the issues getting to JDK 11.

.. Owen