Re: [DISCUSS] Use of AssertJ for testing

Re: [DISCUSS] Use of AssertJ for testing

Takanobu Asanuma
Thanks Akira. +1 for your opinion. I will review YARN-8943 after this discussion has finished.

- Takanobu

on 2019/04/01 14:07, "Sree V"<[hidden email]> wrote:

    My opinion:
    - Upgrade to JUnit5.- Use an Assertion Framework. Preferably, AssertJ as JUnit5 user guide full of it.

    Thank you./Sree

        On Sunday, March 31, 2019, 9:37:52 PM PDT, Akira Ajisaka <[hidden email]> wrote:

     Hi folks,

    Now I'm going to upgrade the JUnit version from 4 to 5 for Java 11 support.
    I wanted to start with the small module, so I uploaded a patch to upgrade
    the API in hadoop-yarn-api module at first (YARN-8943), and in this JIRA,
    Szilard Nemeth suggested using AssertJ with JUnit 5. (Thanks Szilard
    for the suggestion!)

    I think the JUnit upgrade and the use of AssertJ are separated, but
    related tasks.
    Therefore, I'd like to decide:
    - Use AssertJ or not
    - If we are going to use AssertJ, when to use AssertJ (before
    upgrading JUnit or after?)

    My opinion is:
    - JUnit migration is required for Java 11, so upgrading JUnit as soon
    as possible.
    - After the migration, we may use AssertJ for existing tests.
    - We may use AssertJ for new tests. (not must)

    Any thoughts?

    Thanks,
    Akira

Re: [DISCUSS] Use of AssertJ for testing

Steve Loughran-4
assertj is already on the test classpath for some modules already, though
an older version (3.8.0) from what's current (3.12.0)

No problems seem to have surfaced, so I don't see anything wrong with
picking it up more broadly.

if someone wants to update the assertj version, it's only a test artifact
so no worries about that