Ready for JDK 9 ?

Rory O'Donnell Oracle, Dublin Ireland

Hi Uwe & Dawid,

Thank you very much for all your testing of JDK 9 during its
development! Such contributions have significantly helped shape and
improve JDK 9.

Now that we have reached the JDK 9 Final Release Candidate phase [1] , I
would like to ask if your project can be considered to be 'ready for JDK
9', or if there are any remaining show stopper issues which you've
encountered when testing with the JDK 9 release candidate.

JDK 9  b181 is available at http://jdk.java.net/9/

If you have a public web page, mailing list post, or even a tweet
announcing you project's readiness for JDK 9, I'd love to add the URL to
the upcoming JDK 9 readiness page on the Quality Outreach wiki.

Looking forward to hearing from you,
Rory

[1] http://openjdk.java.net/projects/jdk9/

--
Rgds,Rory O'Donnell
Quality Engineering Manager

Re: Ready for JDK 9 ?

Martin Gainty

Thank you very much for all your testing of JDK 9 during its
development! Such contributions have significantly helped shape and
improve JDK 9.

Now that we have reached the JDK 9 Final Release Candidate phase [1] , I
would like to ask if your project can be considered to be 'ready for JDK
9', or if there are any remaining show stopper issues which you've
encountered when testing with the JDK 9 release candidate.

MG>do you know if Oracle dropping IIOMetadata*.* (JPEG Metadata Parse classes)?
MG>I am noticing "will be deprecated in future release" messages
MG>i am using drew noakes (Adobe) XMP parser
MG>but the integration with Oracles base IIOMetadata classes isnt 100% successful

MG>can you recommend working alternatives such as Jai or commons-imaging for testing getAsTree, mergeTree and setFromTree?
MG>Thanks Rory!

JDK 9  b181 is available at http://jdk.java.net/9/

If you have a public web page, mailing list post, or even a tweet
announcing you project's readiness for JDK 9, I'd love to add the URL to
the upcoming JDK 9 readiness page on the Quality Outreach wiki.

Looking forward to hearing from you,
Rory

[1] http://openjdk.java.net/projects/jdk9/

--
Rgds,Rory O'Donnell
Quality Engineering Manager
Oracle EMEA , Dublin, Ireland

RE: Ready for JDK 9 ?

Uwe Schindler
Hi Rory,

Thank you for heads-up. I installed JDK 8 update 144 and Java 9 build 181 a minute ago. Once the first runs have succeeded, I'll report back.

About the current state:
- Apache Lucene 6.6 and the coming Apache Lucene 7.0 is fully comliant to Java 9 and works with "--illegal-access=deny", so the "kill switch" is not needed.
- Apache Solr 6.6 and Apache Solr 7.0 work (Java wise), but the startup (shell) scripts don't detect the Java version correctly. I think a fix is in the make (for Windows and Linux). But if you ignore the startup scripts and do it yourself, it works. We applied some fixes for third party libraries that don't work correctly (e.g. Hadoop in the version we use).

Older Solr and Lucene versions may still have problems, as the Module system changed some internal APIs we need for unmapping files, but generally they should work, but not everything might be with best performance (e.g. it chooses slow NIOFSDirectory instead on memory mapping).

We currently do not support Lucene with Automodules, so you *have* to use Lucene on classpath. The reason is that the JAR files share same packages. So you cannot make modules out of Lucene or Solr. We may support this in later versions, but that's not an important reason for us. You can still combine all of Lucene and Solr and make one huge "Uber Module" out of it (and that's what I personally recommend), but that's up to the user.

Uwe

-----
Uwe Schindler
Achterdiek 19, D-28357 Bremen
http://www.thetaphi.de
> Balchandra Vaidya <[hidden email]>; Muneer Kolarkunnu
> <[hidden email]>; [hidden email]
> Subject: Ready for JDK 9 ?
>

> Hi Uwe & Dawid,
>
> Thank you very much for all your testing of JDK 9 during its
> development! Such contributions have significantly helped shape and
> improve JDK 9.
>
> Now that we have reached the JDK 9 Final Release Candidate phase [1] , I
> would like to ask if your project can be considered to be 'ready for JDK
> 9', or if there are any remaining show stopper issues which you've
> encountered when testing with the JDK 9 release candidate.
>
> JDK 9  b181 is available at http://jdk.java.net/9/
>
> If you have a public web page, mailing list post, or even a tweet
> announcing you project's readiness for JDK 9, I'd love to add the URL to
> the upcoming JDK 9 readiness page on the Quality Outreach wiki.
>

> Looking forward to hearing from you,
> Rory
>
> [1] http://openjdk.java.net/projects/jdk9/
>
> --
> Rgds,Rory O'Donnell
> Quality Engineering Manager
> Oracle EMEA , Dublin, Ireland

Re: Ready for JDK 9 ?

Rory O'Donnell Oracle, Dublin Ireland
Thanks for the update Uwe!

Rgds,Rory

On 09/08/2017 17:50, Uwe Schindler wrote:

> Hi Rory,
>
> Thank you for heads-up. I installed JDK 8 update 144 and Java 9 build 181 a minute ago. Once the first runs have succeeded, I'll report back.
>
> About the current state:
> - Apache Lucene 6.6 and the coming Apache Lucene 7.0 is fully comliant to Java 9 and works with "--illegal-access=deny", so the "kill switch" is not needed.
> - Apache Solr 6.6 and Apache Solr 7.0 work (Java wise), but the startup (shell) scripts don't detect the Java version correctly. I think a fix is in the make (for Windows and Linux). But if you ignore the startup scripts and do it yourself, it works. We applied some fixes for third party libraries that don't work correctly (e.g. Hadoop in the version we use).
>
> Older Solr and Lucene versions may still have problems, as the Module system changed some internal APIs we need for unmapping files, but generally they should work, but not everything might be with best performance (e.g. it chooses slow NIOFSDirectory instead on memory mapping).
>
> We currently do not support Lucene with Automodules, so you *have* to use Lucene on classpath. The reason is that the JAR files share same packages. So you cannot make modules out of Lucene or Solr. We may support this in later versions, but that's not an important reason for us. You can still combine all of Lucene and Solr and make one huge "Uber Module" out of it (and that's what I personally recommend), but that's up to the user.
>
> Uwe
>
> -----
> Uwe Schindler
> Achterdiek 19, D-28357 Bremen
> http://www.thetaphi.de

I just forgot about this: No problems with Lucene/Solr and Java 9 build 181, same for 8u144 (of course). I will look into the Solr startup script issues!
I have seen somewhere on twitter or on JDK mailing lists that you will soon also offer Java 10 builds. Is it worth to try them? But where to find them?

Uwe

-----
Uwe Schindler
Achterdiek 19, D-28357 Bremen
http://www.thetaphi.de
> 'Balchandra Vaidya' <[hidden email]>; 'Muneer Kolarkunnu'
> <[hidden email]>
> Subject: Re: Ready for JDK 9 ?
>
> Thanks for the update Uwe!
>
> Rgds,Rory
>

> On 09/08/2017 17:50, Uwe Schindler wrote:
> > Hi Rory,
> >
> > Thank you for heads-up. I installed JDK 8 update 144 and Java 9 build 181 a
> minute ago. Once the first runs have succeeded, I'll report back.
> >
> > About the current state:
> > - Apache Lucene 6.6 and the coming Apache Lucene 7.0 is fully comliant to
> Java 9 and works with "--illegal-access=deny", so the "kill switch" is not
> needed.
> > - Apache Solr 6.6 and Apache Solr 7.0 work (Java wise), but the startup
> (shell) scripts don't detect the Java version correctly. I think a fix is in the
> make (for Windows and Linux). But if you ignore the startup scripts and do it
> yourself, it works. We applied some fixes for third party libraries that don't
> work correctly (e.g. Hadoop in the version we use).
> >
> > Older Solr and Lucene versions may still have problems, as the Module
> system changed some internal APIs we need for unmapping files, but
> generally they should work, but not everything might be with best
> performance (e.g. it chooses slow NIOFSDirectory instead on memory
> mapping).
> >
> > We currently do not support Lucene with Automodules, so you *have* to
> use Lucene on classpath. The reason is that the JAR files share same
> packages. So you cannot make modules out of Lucene or Solr. We may
> support this in later versions, but that's not an important reason for us. You
> can still combine all of Lucene and Solr and make one huge "Uber Module"
> out of it (and that's what I personally recommend), but that's up to the user.
> >
> > Uwe
> >
> > -----
> > Uwe Schindler
> > Achterdiek 19, D-28357 Bremen
> > http://www.thetaphi.de

Re: Ready for JDK 9 ?

On 11/08/2017 23:45, Uwe Schindler wrote:
> Hi Rory,
>
> I just forgot about this: No problems with Lucene/Solr and Java 9 build 181, same for 8u144 (of course). I will look into the Solr startup script issues!
Thanks Uwe.
> I have seen somewhere on twitter or on JDK mailing lists that you will soon also offer Java 10 builds. Is it worth to try them? But where to find them?
Not available yet, I'll let you know when they become available.

Rgds,Rory