Recommendations please

Malcolm Clark
Hi everyone,
I am about to index the INEX collection (22 files with 30000 files in each-ish) using Java Lucene. I am undecided with the approach to indexing and have left my LIA book at uni :-/
Would you recommend:

  1..  indexing all files into one big index? (would this be inefficient to search?)
  2.. 23 seperate indexes and then merging them?
  3.. 23 seperate indexes and then searching an array of indexes?

Also has anyone else indexed the INEX collection using Java Lucene and what did you do?
Thanks for any helpful advice.
MC

Re: Recommendations please

Erik Hatcher

On May 13, 2006, at 12:10 PM, Malcolm Clark wrote:

> Hi everyone,
> I am about to index the INEX collection (22 files with 30000 files
> in each-ish) using Java Lucene. I am undecided with the approach to
> indexing and have left my LIA book at uni :-/
> Would you recommend:
>
>   1..  indexing all files into one big index? (would this be
> inefficient to search?)
>   2.. 23 seperate indexes and then merging them?
>   3.. 23 seperate indexes and then searching an array of indexes?
>
> Also has anyone else indexed the INEX collection using Java Lucene
> and what did you do?
> Thanks for any helpful advice.

This really all depends.  Any of those options are fine, but I'd
personally start with the simplest option of indexing it all into a
single index.

        Erik