Release 6.5

12

Release 6.5

jim ferenczi
Hi,
We have a lot of great improvements coming in 6.5 so I'd like to volunteer for a new release. I can cut the branch around march 17th in order to let some time for devs to finish the current issues.
What do you think?

Re: Release 6.5

Joel Bernstein
+1

On Sat, Mar 11, 2017 at 12:43 PM, jim ferenczi <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,
We have a lot of great improvements coming in 6.5 so I'd like to volunteer for a new release. I can cut the branch around march 17th in order to let some time for devs to finish the current issues.
What do you think?

What do you think?

What do you think?

What do you think?

Re: Release 6.5

jim ferenczi
Hi,
I created the release branch (branch_6_5) and created a draft for the release notes:

Lucene:

Solr:

I don't see any blockers for now so if you have any please update JIRA accordingly.

I don't have the permission to update JIRA and Jenkins. If someone could help out to add me as an admin that would be nice.

Thanks

+1

On Sat, Mar 11, 2017 at 12:43 PM, jim ferenczi <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,
We have a lot of great improvements coming in 6.5 so I'd like to volunteer for a new release. I can cut the branch around march 17th in order to let some time for devs to finish the current issues.
What do you think?

Re: Release 6.5

sarowe
Hi Jim,

I’ve granted you the Administrators and Committers roles on the LUCENE and SOLR JIRA projects.

AFAICT only the PMC Chair can make you a Jenkins admin: <https://wiki.apache.org/general/Jenkins#How_do_I_get_an_account>.  I’ve CC’d Tommaso on this email.

--
Steve
www.lucidworks.com

> On Mar 17, 2017, at 7:06 AM, jim ferenczi <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
> I created the release branch (branch_6_5) and created a draft for the release notes:
>
> Lucene:
> https://wiki.apache.org/lucene-java/ReleaseNote65
>
> Solr:
> https://wiki.apache.org/solr/ReleaseNote65
>
> I don't see any blockers for now so if you have any please update JIRA accordingly.
>
> I don't have the permission to update JIRA and Jenkins. If someone could help out to add me as an admin that would be nice.
>
> Thanks

> +1
>
> Mike McCandless
>
> http://blog.mikemccandless.com
>
> On Sat, Mar 11, 2017 at 12:43 PM, jim ferenczi <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
> We have a lot of great improvements coming in 6.5 so I'd like to volunteer for a new release. I can cut the branch around march 17th in order to let some time for devs to finish the current issues.
> What do you think?

Re: Release 6.5

jim ferenczi
Thanks Steve !

Hi Jim,

I’ve granted you the Administrators and Committers roles on the LUCENE and SOLR JIRA projects.

AFAICT only the PMC Chair can make you a Jenkins admin: <https://wiki.apache.org/general/Jenkins#How_do_I_get_an_account>.  I’ve CC’d Tommaso on this email.

--
Steve
www.lucidworks.com

> On Mar 17, 2017, at 7:06 AM, jim ferenczi <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
> I created the release branch (branch_6_5) and created a draft for the release notes:
>
> Lucene:
> https://wiki.apache.org/lucene-java/ReleaseNote65
>
> Solr:
> https://wiki.apache.org/solr/ReleaseNote65
>
> I don't see any blockers for now so if you have any please update JIRA accordingly.
>
> I don't have the permission to update JIRA and Jenkins. If someone could help out to add me as an admin that would be nice.
>
> Thanks

> +1
>
> Mike McCandless
>
> http://blog.mikemccandless.com
>
> On Sat, Mar 11, 2017 at 12:43 PM, jim ferenczi <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
> We have a lot of great improvements coming in 6.5 so I'd like to volunteer for a new release. I can cut the branch around march 17th in order to let some time for devs to finish the current issues.
> What do you think?

Re: Release 6.5

jim ferenczi
I made https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENE-7747 a blocker for the 6.5 release. It's a protection against combinatorial explosion in the query parser when graph analysis is enabled (enabled by default). I'll push early next week if there is no objection.

Thanks Steve !

Hi Jim,

I’ve granted you the Administrators and Committers roles on the LUCENE and SOLR JIRA projects.

AFAICT only the PMC Chair can make you a Jenkins admin: <https://wiki.apache.org/general/Jenkins#How_do_I_get_an_account>.  I’ve CC’d Tommaso on this email.

--
Steve
www.lucidworks.com

> On Mar 17, 2017, at 7:06 AM, jim ferenczi <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
> I created the release branch (branch_6_5) and created a draft for the release notes:
>
> Lucene:
> https://wiki.apache.org/lucene-java/ReleaseNote65
>
> Solr:
> https://wiki.apache.org/solr/ReleaseNote65
>
> I don't see any blockers for now so if you have any please update JIRA accordingly.
>
> I don't have the permission to update JIRA and Jenkins. If someone could help out to add me as an admin that would be nice.
>
> Thanks

> +1
>
> Mike McCandless
>
> http://blog.mikemccandless.com
>
> On Sat, Mar 11, 2017 at 12:43 PM, jim ferenczi <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
> We have a lot of great improvements coming in 6.5 so I'd like to volunteer for a new release. I can cut the branch around march 17th in order to let some time for devs to finish the current issues.
> What do you think?

Re: Release 6.5

sarowe
Oops, I didn’t notice the *obsolete* warning at the top of the ASF Infra Jenkins wiki page I pointed to.  Here’s the modern version (which says basically the same thing): <https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/INFRA/Jenkins#Jenkins-HowdoIgetanaccount>.

--
Steve
www.lucidworks.com

> On Mar 17, 2017, at 7:23 AM, Steve Rowe <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Jim,
>
> I’ve granted you the Administrators and Committers roles on the LUCENE and SOLR JIRA projects.
>
> AFAICT only the PMC Chair can make you a Jenkins admin: <https://wiki.apache.org/general/Jenkins#How_do_I_get_an_account>.  I’ve CC’d Tommaso on this email.
>
> --
> Steve
> www.lucidworks.com
>
>> On Mar 17, 2017, at 7:06 AM, jim ferenczi <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>> I created the release branch (branch_6_5) and created a draft for the release notes:
>>
>> Lucene:
>> https://wiki.apache.org/lucene-java/ReleaseNote65
>>
>> Solr:
>> https://wiki.apache.org/solr/ReleaseNote65
>>
>> I don't see any blockers for now so if you have any please update JIRA accordingly.
>>
>> I don't have the permission to update JIRA and Jenkins. If someone could help out to add me as an admin that would be nice.
>>
>> Thanks

>> +1
>>
>> Mike McCandless
>>
>> http://blog.mikemccandless.com
>>
>> On Sat, Mar 11, 2017 at 12:43 PM, jim ferenczi <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi,
>> We have a lot of great improvements coming in 6.5 so I'd like to volunteer for a new release. I can cut the branch around march 17th in order to let some time for devs to finish the current issues.
>> What do you think?

Re: Release 6.5

david.w.smiley@gmail.com
+1 that's serious.

On Fri, Mar 17, 2017 at 8:02 AM jim ferenczi <[hidden email]> wrote:
I made https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENE-7747 a blocker for the 6.5 release. It's a protection against combinatorial explosion in the query parser when graph analysis is enabled (enabled by default). I'll push early next week if there is no objection.

Thanks Steve !

Hi Jim,

I’ve granted you the Administrators and Committers roles on the LUCENE and SOLR JIRA projects.

AFAICT only the PMC Chair can make you a Jenkins admin: <https://wiki.apache.org/general/Jenkins#How_do_I_get_an_account>.  I’ve CC’d Tommaso on this email.

--
Steve
www.lucidworks.com

> On Mar 17, 2017, at 7:06 AM, jim ferenczi <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
> I created the release branch (branch_6_5) and created a draft for the release notes:
>
> Lucene:
> https://wiki.apache.org/lucene-java/ReleaseNote65
>
> Solr:
> https://wiki.apache.org/solr/ReleaseNote65
>
> I don't see any blockers for now so if you have any please update JIRA accordingly.
>
> I don't have the permission to update JIRA and Jenkins. If someone could help out to add me as an admin that would be nice.
>
> Thanks

> +1
>
> Mike McCandless
>
> http://blog.mikemccandless.com
>
> On Sat, Mar 11, 2017 at 12:43 PM, jim ferenczi <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
> We have a lot of great improvements coming in 6.5 so I'd like to volunteer for a new release. I can cut the branch around march 17th in order to let some time for devs to finish the current issues.
> What do you think?

Re: Release 6.5

Tomás Fernández Löbbe
I'd like to include SOLR-10237, Poly-fields can provide incorrect results if subfields are point fields with docValues=true. This is specially tricky since the users will get results, but will sometimes be incorrect, and the only way out is to modify the field type and reindex.

I already have a patch, I'm just doing some more testing before committing.

Tomás

On Fri, Mar 17, 2017 at 5:43 AM, David Smiley <[hidden email]> wrote:
+1 that's serious.

On Fri, Mar 17, 2017 at 8:02 AM jim ferenczi <[hidden email]> wrote:
I made https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENE-7747 a blocker for the 6.5 release. It's a protection against combinatorial explosion in the query parser when graph analysis is enabled (enabled by default). I'll push early next week if there is no objection.

Thanks Steve !

Hi Jim,

I’ve granted you the Administrators and Committers roles on the LUCENE and SOLR JIRA projects.

AFAICT only the PMC Chair can make you a Jenkins admin: <https://wiki.apache.org/general/Jenkins#How_do_I_get_an_account>.  I’ve CC’d Tommaso on this email.

--
Steve
www.lucidworks.com

> On Mar 17, 2017, at 7:06 AM, jim ferenczi <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
> I created the release branch (branch_6_5) and created a draft for the release notes:
>
> Lucene:
> https://wiki.apache.org/lucene-java/ReleaseNote65
>
> Solr:
> https://wiki.apache.org/solr/ReleaseNote65
>
> I don't see any blockers for now so if you have any please update JIRA accordingly.
>
> I don't have the permission to update JIRA and Jenkins. If someone could help out to add me as an admin that would be nice.
>
> Thanks

> +1
>
> Mike McCandless
>
> http://blog.mikemccandless.com
>
> On Sat, Mar 11, 2017 at 12:43 PM, jim ferenczi <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
> We have a lot of great improvements coming in 6.5 so I'd like to volunteer for a new release. I can cut the branch around march 17th in order to let some time for devs to finish the current issues.
> What do you think?

Re: Release 6.5

sarowe
I plan on including SOLR-10218: The Schema API commands "add-field-type" and "replace-field-type" improperly specify SimilarityFactory params.  I have a patch ready, and I’ll commit later tonight after running all Solr tests.

--
Steve
www.lucidworks.com

> On Mar 17, 2017, at 1:22 PM, Tomás Fernández Löbbe <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I'd like to include SOLR-10237, Poly-fields can provide incorrect results if subfields are point fields with docValues=true. This is specially tricky since the users will get results, but will sometimes be incorrect, and the only way out is to modify the field type and reindex.
>
> I already have a patch, I'm just doing some more testing before committing.
>
> Tomás
>
> On Fri, Mar 17, 2017 at 5:43 AM, David Smiley <[hidden email]> wrote:
> +1 that's serious.
>

> On Fri, Mar 17, 2017 at 8:02 AM jim ferenczi <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I made https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENE-7747 a blocker for the 6.5 release. It's a protection against combinatorial explosion in the query parser when graph analysis is enabled (enabled by default). I'll push early next week if there is no objection.

> Thanks Steve !

> Hi Jim,
>
> I’ve granted you the Administrators and Committers roles on the LUCENE and SOLR JIRA projects.
>
> AFAICT only the PMC Chair can make you a Jenkins admin: <https://wiki.apache.org/general/Jenkins#How_do_I_get_an_account>.  I’ve CC’d Tommaso on this email.
>
> --
> Steve
> www.lucidworks.com
>
> > On Mar 17, 2017, at 7:06 AM, jim ferenczi <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> > I created the release branch (branch_6_5) and created a draft for the release notes:
> >
> > Lucene:
> > https://wiki.apache.org/lucene-java/ReleaseNote65
> >
> > Solr:
> > https://wiki.apache.org/solr/ReleaseNote65
> >
> > I don't see any blockers for now so if you have any please update JIRA accordingly.
> >
> > I don't have the permission to update JIRA and Jenkins. If someone could help out to add me as an admin that would be nice.
> >
> > Thanks

> > +1
> >
> > Mike McCandless
> >
> > http://blog.mikemccandless.com
> >
> > On Sat, Mar 11, 2017 at 12:43 PM, jim ferenczi <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hi,
> > We have a lot of great improvements coming in 6.5 so I'd like to volunteer for a new release. I can cut the branch around march 17th in order to let some time for devs to finish the current issues.
> > What do you think?

> LinkedIn: http://linkedin.com/in/davidwsmiley | Book: http://www.solrenterprisesearchserver.com

Re: Release 6.5

Andrzej Białecki-2
Hi Jim,

If it’s not too late I’d like to include a one line fix for SOLR-10319: SolrCore "instanceDir" metric not visible in JMX.

On 11 Mar 2017, at 18:43, jim ferenczi <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi,
We have a lot of great improvements coming in 6.5 so I'd like to volunteer for a new release. I can cut the branch around march 17th in order to let some time for devs to finish the current issues.
What do you think?

---
Best regards,

Andrzej Bialecki

Re: Release 6.5

sarowe
Hi Jim,

I’ll go set up the 6.5 jobs now.

--
Steve
www.lucidworks.com

> On Mar 20, 2017, at 2:20 PM, jim ferenczi <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> It's not. I want to create the first RC tomorrow but we need to setup the Jenkins jobs for the 6.5 branch first. I don't have the admin right with my account yet so any help would be greatly appreciated..
>
> Jim

> Hi Jim,
>
> If it’s not too late I’d like to include a one line fix for SOLR-10319: SolrCore "instanceDir" metric not visible in JMX.
>
>> On 11 Mar 2017, at 18:43, jim ferenczi <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>> We have a lot of great improvements coming in 6.5 so I'd like to volunteer for a new release. I can cut the branch around march 17th in order to let some time for devs to finish the current issues.
>> What do you think?
>
> ---
> Best regards,
>
> Andrzej Bialecki

Re: Release 6.5

jim ferenczi
Thanks ! I'll create the RC if all jobs pass.

Hi Jim,

I’ll go set up the 6.5 jobs now.

--
Steve
www.lucidworks.com

> On Mar 20, 2017, at 2:20 PM, jim ferenczi <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> It's not. I want to create the first RC tomorrow but we need to setup the Jenkins jobs for the 6.5 branch first. I don't have the admin right with my account yet so any help would be greatly appreciated..
>
> Jim

> Hi Jim,
>
> If it’s not too late I’d like to include a one line fix for SOLR-10319: SolrCore "instanceDir" metric not visible in JMX.
>
>> On 11 Mar 2017, at 18:43, jim ferenczi <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>> We have a lot of great improvements coming in 6.5 so I'd like to volunteer for a new release. I can cut the branch around march 17th in order to let some time for devs to finish the current issues.
>> What do you think?
>
> ---
> Best regards,
>
> Andrzej Bialecki

Re: Release 6.5

Ishan Chattopadhyaya
Hi Jim,
I'd like to propose that we allow at least 24 hours of running Jenkins on the release branch before cutting an RC.
Thanks,
Ishan

On Tue, Mar 21, 2017 at 12:17 AM, jim ferenczi <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks ! I'll create the RC if all jobs pass.

Hi Jim,

I’ll go set up the 6.5 jobs now.

--
Steve
www.lucidworks.com

> On Mar 20, 2017, at 2:20 PM, jim ferenczi <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> It's not. I want to create the first RC tomorrow but we need to setup the Jenkins jobs for the 6.5 branch first. I don't have the admin right with my account yet so any help would be greatly appreciated..
>
> Jim

> Hi Jim,
>
> If it’s not too late I’d like to include a one line fix for SOLR-10319: SolrCore "instanceDir" metric not visible in JMX.
>
>> On 11 Mar 2017, at 18:43, jim ferenczi <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>> We have a lot of great improvements coming in 6.5 so I'd like to volunteer for a new release. I can cut the branch around march 17th in order to let some time for devs to finish the current issues.
>> What do you think?
>
> ---
> Best regards,
>
> Andrzej Bialecki

Re: Release 6.5

jim ferenczi
Sure Ishan. I'll wait.

Hi Jim,
I'd like to propose that we allow at least 24 hours of running Jenkins on the release branch before cutting an RC.
Thanks,
Ishan

On Tue, Mar 21, 2017 at 12:17 AM, jim ferenczi <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks ! I'll create the RC if all jobs pass.

Hi Jim,

I’ll go set up the 6.5 jobs now.

--
Steve
www.lucidworks.com

> On Mar 20, 2017, at 2:20 PM, jim ferenczi <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> It's not. I want to create the first RC tomorrow but we need to setup the Jenkins jobs for the 6.5 branch first. I don't have the admin right with my account yet so any help would be greatly appreciated..
>
> Jim

> Hi Jim,
>
> If it’s not too late I’d like to include a one line fix for SOLR-10319: SolrCore "instanceDir" metric not visible in JMX.
>
>> On 11 Mar 2017, at 18:43, jim ferenczi <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>> We have a lot of great improvements coming in 6.5 so I'd like to volunteer for a new release. I can cut the branch around march 17th in order to let some time for devs to finish the current issues.
>> What do you think?
>
> ---
> Best regards,
>
> Andrzej Bialecki