Remove TermEnum.skipTo(Term target)

Wolfgang Hoschek
I was considering an efficient impl of TermEnum.skipTo(Term target) for
the MemoryIndex. But then I realized that nothing anywhere in Lucene
calls that method. It's effectively dead code; a remainder of a
previous ice age - nothing would break if it would be removed. I'd
suggest doing so unless I'm missing something.

Wolfgang.

Re: Remove TermEnum.skipTo(Term target)

Daniel Naber
On Wednesday 04 May 2005 22:59, Wolfgang Hoschek wrote:

> I was considering an efficient impl of TermEnum.skipTo(Term target) for
> the MemoryIndex. But then I realized that nothing anywhere in Lucene
> calls that method.

It's part of the API (public method in a public class), so we cannot just
remove it. Whether it makes sense is a different question...

Regards
 Daniel

--
http://www.danielnaber.de

On May 4, 2005, at 4:44 PM, Daniel Naber wrote:

> On Wednesday 04 May 2005 22:59, Wolfgang Hoschek wrote:
>
>> I was considering an efficient impl of TermEnum.skipTo(Term target)
>> for
>> the MemoryIndex. But then I realized that nothing anywhere in Lucene
>> calls that method.
>
> It's part of the API (public method in a public class), so we cannot
> just
> remove it. Whether it makes sense is a different question...

I was referring to 2.0 of course. Unless someone can foresee that
method actually being put to good use anywhere...
There are already plenty of changes in the IndexReader API and
elsewhere. For example, I can't see anyway to come up with a
MemoryIndex that compiles *and* runs against 1.4.3, 1.9 and 2.0 from a
single source...

Wolfgang.