SOLR 7.2.1 on SLES 11?

Lichte, Lucas R - DHS (Tek Systems)
Hello, we're trying to get SOLR 7.2.1 running on SLES 11 but we hit issues with BASH 3 and the ${distro_string,,} at the beginning of the install_solr_service.sh.  We're just trying to get this upgraded without tossing out the old DB serves so we can get the content team happy and move on to redesigning the environment.  We're wondering if anyone else has hit this, and if they have any lessons learned.

As we see it, there's a few options:

1.        Install OpenSUSE BASH 4, maybe in /opt

2.       Update the lowercase method to something from BASH 3 ( pipe to tr?)

3.       Do this by hand without the install_solr_service.sh

4.       Build new Redhat servers, migrate the DB and nuke these things.

Does anyone have any experience/suggestions here?  Are there any gotchas for SOLR 7.2.1 in SLES 11?

NOTICE: This email and any attachments may contain confidential information. Use and further disclosure of the information by the recipient must be consistent with applicable laws, regulations and agreements. If you received this email in error, please notify the sender; delete the email; and do not use, disclose or store the information it contains.

Re: SOLR 7.2.1 on SLES 11?

Shawn Heisey-2
On 7/11/2018 12:09 PM, Lichte, Lucas R - DHS (Tek Systems) wrote:

> Hello, we're trying to get SOLR 7.2.1 running on SLES 11 but we hit issues with BASH 3 and the ${distro_string,,} at the beginning of the install_solr_service.sh.  We're just trying to get this upgraded without tossing out the old DB serves so we can get the content team happy and move on to redesigning the environment.  We're wondering if anyone else has hit this, and if they have any lessons learned.
>
> As we see it, there's a few options:
>
> 1.       Install OpenSUSE BASH 4, maybe in /opt
>
> 2.       Update the lowercase method to something from BASH 3 ( pipe to tr?)
>
> 3.       Do this by hand without the install_solr_service.sh
>
> 4.       Build new Redhat servers, migrate the DB and nuke these things.

Both bash 4 and SLES 11 are more than nine years old.  Upgrades are
definitely recommended.

The option that might be fastest is the second one you've presented --
changing anything in the scripts that requires bash 4 so it's compatible
with bash 3.  If you're comfortable with modifying a shell script in
this way, this is a good option.

The first option is probably a little bit safer -- install bash 4, and
make sure that this is the version used when installing and when
starting Solr.  That could be a PATH adjustment, or changing the shebang
in each script.

There is another issue you're going to need to deal with on SLES.  A fix
for this issue has not been committed to the source repository:

Shawn

RE: SOLR 7.2.1 on SLES 11?

Lichte, Lucas R - DHS (Tek Systems)
Thanks for the head's up on that bug, it looks like we'll be doing some script editing either way.  I think 1 is the most popular with the team at this point, but I'll take the temperature and see how people feel.

On 7/11/2018 12:09 PM, Lichte, Lucas R - DHS (Tek Systems) wrote:

> Hello, we're trying to get SOLR 7.2.1 running on SLES 11 but we hit issues with BASH 3 and the ${distro_string,,} at the beginning of the install_solr_service.sh.  We're just trying to get this upgraded without tossing out the old DB serves so we can get the content team happy and move on to redesigning the environment.  We're wondering if anyone else has hit this, and if they have any lessons learned.
>
> As we see it, there's a few options:
>
> 1.       Install OpenSUSE BASH 4, maybe in /opt
>
> 2.       Update the lowercase method to something from BASH 3 ( pipe to tr?)
>
> 3.       Do this by hand without the install_solr_service.sh
>
> 4.       Build new Redhat servers, migrate the DB and nuke these things.

Both bash 4 and SLES 11 are more than nine years old.  Upgrades are
definitely recommended.

The option that might be fastest is the second one you've presented --
changing anything in the scripts that requires bash 4 so it's compatible
with bash 3.  If you're comfortable with modifying a shell script in
this way, this is a good option.

The first option is probably a little bit safer -- install bash 4, and
make sure that this is the version used when installing and when
starting Solr.  That could be a PATH adjustment, or changing the shebang
in each script.

There is another issue you're going to need to deal with on SLES.  A fix
for this issue has not been committed to the source repository:

https://secure-web.cisco.com/1t8VBNgY_sYJsqMF0W7q4JFwbT7oK6SKtn6P7g6r3FhhNbrIOZEfCoZsmsAi3v22fJ1oXP7lOSwU6SNv1nCeY9u6V-zUCAYo6hVkHGu78vrtg3CJ8vy0AUnEkx0qsrV_tlSOejpFw2cFEYcYHllu8JO6rFCBDVOlGU-vEnR59YvzuL38hOD3qg62rO_i-g-JrT2BRLaZeieXUwhOUBmr85Ucz7nPlLxDSr935AXGdPQvoZmPurfOlY2Q0HFTG9fetjkv0Q0lOSefrwM5h1wR3cQ/https%3A%2F%2Fissues.apache.org%2Fjira%2Fbrowse%2FSOLR-11853

Thanks,
Shawn

RE: SOLR 7.2.1 on SLES 11?

Lichte, Lucas R - DHS (Tek Systems)
Welp, that didn't go spectacularly.  All the OpenSuSE SLES 11 downloads are RPM, both source and compiled.  Non-relocatable.  I did attempt to rebuild, but it choked on the following dependencies:

audit-devel is needed by bash-4.3-286.1.x86_64
        fdupes is needed by bash-4.3-286.1.x86_64
        patchutils is needed by bash-4.3-286.1.x86_64

If I can find a repository for them I can throw that into Zypper, but thus far I've failed.  Anyone out there have any suggestions?