Solr 7.4/7.5 and ZooKeeper version > 3.4.11

Solr 7.4/7.5 and ZooKeeper version > 3.4.11

Jaroslaw Rozanski-3
Hi all,

Solr 7.4.x and 7.5.x ships with ZooKeeper 3.4.11.

Meanwhile official stable ZooKeeper version is 3.4.12 and 3.4.13. The Solr supported version 3.4.11 has been removed from official distributions (https://www-eu.apache.org/dist/zookeeper/) I am guessing due to https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ZOOKEEPER-2960.

It is _trivial_ to use newer version when using external ZK ensemble however Solr Documentation (https://lucene.apache.org/solr/guide/7_5/setting-up-an-external-zookeeper-ensemble.html) says:

----
When using an external ZooKeeper ensemble, you will need need to keep your local installation up-to-date with the latest version distributed with Solr. Since it is a stand-alone application in this scenario, it does not get upgraded as part of a standard Solr upgrade.
----

Question: Anyone using ZK 3.4.12/13 and Solr 7.4/7.5 in production with success? Any noteworthy issues found?

The release notes from .11 to .12 look pretty harmless on the face of it.

Thanks,
Jarek

Jaroslaw Rozanski | [hidden email]

Re: Solr 7.4/7.5 and ZooKeeper version > 3.4.11

Erick Erickson
I had some problems trying to upgrade to ZK 3.4.13, see: SOLR-12727
and have never been able to get back to it. If you'd like to take a
whack at it that'd be great! Just apply the patch and chime in on the
JIRA, frankly I've forgotten the details. I didn't put very much
effort into tracking down exactly what was happening, other priorities
and all that.

Best,
Erick
On Wed, Nov 7, 2018 at 1:13 AM Jaroslaw Rozanski <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Solr 7.4.x and 7.5.x ships with ZooKeeper 3.4.11.
>
> Meanwhile official stable ZooKeeper version is 3.4.12 and 3.4.13. The Solr supported version 3.4.11 has been removed from official distributions (https://www-eu.apache.org/dist/zookeeper/) I am guessing due to https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ZOOKEEPER-2960.
>

> It is _trivial_ to use newer version when using external ZK ensemble however Solr Documentation (https://lucene.apache.org/solr/guide/7_5/setting-up-an-external-zookeeper-ensemble.html) says:
>
> ----
> When using an external ZooKeeper ensemble, you will need need to keep your local installation up-to-date with the latest version distributed with Solr. Since it is a stand-alone application in this scenario, it does not get upgraded as part of a standard Solr upgrade.
> ----
>

> Question: Anyone using ZK 3.4.12/13 and Solr 7.4/7.5 in production with success? Any noteworthy issues found?
>
> The release notes from .11 to .12 look pretty harmless on the face of it.
>
> Thanks,
> Jarek

> Jaroslaw Rozanski | [hidden email]

Re: Solr 7.4/7.5 and ZooKeeper version > 3.4.11

Shawn Heisey-2
On 11/7/2018 2:12 AM, Jaroslaw Rozanski wrote:
> Question: Anyone using ZK 3.4.12/13 and Solr 7.4/7.5 in production with success? Any noteworthy issues found?
The compatibility info published by the ZK project says that there will
be no problems.  My advice -- go ahead and use the latest ZK version to
run your ZK ensemble.  This advice has been given here before, so it is
likely that there are others using 3.4.12 or 3.4.13 with Solr.

The problem that led to ZK pulling 3.4.11 from download is only on the
server side -- the client usage inside Solr itself should have no
issues.  If you do not use a separate ZK ensemble and have the server
running embedded in Solr, then that ZK server would experience the bug,
but it wouldn't actually cause anything to break.

Thanks,
Shawn

On 11/7/2018 7:33 AM, Shawn Heisey wrote:
> The problem that led to ZK pulling 3.4.11 from download is only on the
> server side -- the client usage inside Solr itself should have no
> issues.  If you do not use a separate ZK ensemble and have the server
> running embedded in Solr, then that ZK server would experience the
> bug, but it wouldn't actually cause anything to break.

Clarification to what I wrote before -- if the ZK server config for the
embedded server isn't changed from what ships with Solr, there shouldn't
be any breakage.  If the config is changed, then the bug MIGHT be
encountered.

This is the bug:

Most usages of the embedded ZK will not be in an ensemble (which
requires at least three servers).  That bug does not affect ZK servers
running standalone.  When running in a multi-server ensemble, 3.4.11
swaps the settings for dataDir and dataLogDir.

Thanks,
Shawn