Solr Capacity Planning

Greenhorn Techie
Hi,

We are planning to setup a Solr cloud for building a search application on
huge volumes of data points (~hundreds of billions of solr documents) I
would like to understand if there is any recommendation on how to size the
infrastructure and hardware requirements for Solr clusters. Also, what are
the best practices to consider during this setup.

Thanks

Re: Solr Capacity Planning

Will Martin
MODERATOR REQUESTED:

> On Jun 17, 2017, at 3:56 AM, Greenhorn Techie <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> We are planning to setup a Solr cloud for building a search application on
> huge volumes of data points (~hundreds of billions of solr documents) I
> would like to understand if there is any recommendation on how to size the
> infrastructure and hardware requirements for Solr clusters. Also, what are
> the best practices to consider during this setup.
>
> Thanks

Seriously.
Will Martin

Re: Solr Capacity Planning

I have no idea what Will's comment means, but I will say that at that
scale you'd probably be well advised to get some professional
consulting help, it'll save you a world of hassle.

The basic sizing exercise is here:
https://lucidworks.com/2012/07/23/sizing-hardware-in-the-abstract-why-we-dont-have-a-definitive-answer/

If you follow the process there you'll have an idea how many of your
docs with your queries you can fit on a machine of a particular size
and extrapolate from there. Expect there to be some "learning
experiences" along the way.

Best,
Erick