Solr Cloud configuration

David Hastings
I cant seem to find the documentation on how to actually edit the schema
file myself, everything seems to lead me to using an API to add fields and
stop words etc.  this is more or less obnoxious, and the admin api for
adding fields/field types is not exactly functional.  is there a guide or
something to let me know how to do it normally like in standalone solr?

Re: Solr Cloud configuration

Woll-E
Hi David,

You can upload configuration to the zookeeper - it is nearly the same as
the standaloneconfig.

You can also edit the schema.xml in this file. At least I do it like this.

Mit freundlichem Gruß / kind regards

Wolfgang Freudenberger
Pure Host IT-Services
Münsterstr. 14
48341 Altenberge
GERMANY
Tel.: (+49) 25 71 - 99 20 170
Fax: (+49) 25 71 - 99 20 171

Umsatzsteuer ID DE259181123

Informieren Sie sich über unser gesamtes Leistungsspektrum unter www.pure-host.de
Get our whole services at www.pure-host.de

Am 20.11.2018 um 19:38 schrieb David Hastings:
> I cant seem to find the documentation on how to actually edit the schema
> file myself, everything seems to lead me to using an API to add fields and
> stop words etc.  this is more or less obnoxious, and the admin api for
> adding fields/field types is not exactly functional.  is there a guide or
> something to let me know how to do it normally like in standalone solr?

Re: Solr Cloud configuration

David Hastings
Thanks, researching that now, but this seems extremely annoying.  wouldnt
it just be easier if you could edit the config files raw from the admin
UI?

On Tue, Nov 20, 2018 at 1:41 PM Pure Host - Wolfgang Freudenberger <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi David,
>

> You can upload configuration to the zookeeper - it is nearly the same as
> the standaloneconfig.
>
> You can also edit the schema.xml in this file. At least I do it like this.
>
> Mit freundlichem Gruß / kind regards
>
> Wolfgang Freudenberger
> Pure Host IT-Services
> Münsterstr. 14
> 48341 Altenberge
> GERMANY
> Tel.: (+49) 25 71 - 99 20 170
> Fax: (+49) 25 71 - 99 20 171
>
> Umsatzsteuer ID DE259181123
>
> Informieren Sie sich über unser gesamtes Leistungsspektrum unter
> www.pure-host.de
> Get our whole services at www.pure-host.de
>
> Am 20.11.2018 um 19:38 schrieb David Hastings:
> > I cant seem to find the documentation on how to actually edit the schema
> > file myself, everything seems to lead me to using an API to add fields
> and
> > stop words etc.  this is more or less obnoxious, and the admin api for
> > adding fields/field types is not exactly functional.  is there a guide or
> > something to let me know how to do it normally like in standalone solr?

Re: Solr Cloud configuration

Erick Erickson
David:

Sure would. See https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-5287.
Especially the bits about how allowing this leads to security
vulnerabilities. You're not the first one who had this idea ;).....

Whether those security issues are still valid is another question I suppose.

Best,
Erick
On Tue, Nov 20, 2018 at 11:01 AM David Hastings
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks, researching that now, but this seems extremely annoying.  wouldnt
> it just be easier if you could edit the config files raw from the admin
> UI?
>
> On Tue, Nov 20, 2018 at 1:41 PM Pure Host - Wolfgang Freudenberger <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hi David,
> >

> > You can upload configuration to the zookeeper - it is nearly the same as
> > the standaloneconfig.
> >
> > You can also edit the schema.xml in this file. At least I do it like this.
> >
> > Mit freundlichem Gruß / kind regards
> >
> > Wolfgang Freudenberger
> > Pure Host IT-Services
> > Münsterstr. 14
> > 48341 Altenberge
> > GERMANY
> > Tel.: (+49) 25 71 - 99 20 170
> > Fax: (+49) 25 71 - 99 20 171
> >
> > Umsatzsteuer ID DE259181123
> >
> > Informieren Sie sich über unser gesamtes Leistungsspektrum unter
> > www.pure-host.de
> > Get our whole services at www.pure-host.de
> >
> > Am 20.11.2018 um 19:38 schrieb David Hastings:
> > > I cant seem to find the documentation on how to actually edit the schema
> > > file myself, everything seems to lead me to using an API to add fields
> > and
> > > stop words etc.  this is more or less obnoxious, and the admin api for
> > > adding fields/field types is not exactly functional.  is there a guide or
> > > something to let me know how to do it normally like in standalone solr?

Re: Solr Cloud configuration

David Hastings
Well considering that any access to the user interface by anyone can
completely destroy entire collections/cores, I would think the security of
the stop word file wouldnt be that important
Thanks Erick, it seems the only reason I have any desire to use SolrCloud
is the use of streaming expressions.  I think thats the only benefit that
more hardware cant solve.

On Tue, Nov 20, 2018 at 2:17 PM Erick Erickson <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> David:
>
> Sure would. See https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-5287.
> Especially the bits about how allowing this leads to security
> vulnerabilities. You're not the first one who had this idea ;).....
>
> Whether those security issues are still valid is another question I
> suppose.
>
> Best,
> Erick
> On Tue, Nov 20, 2018 at 11:01 AM David Hastings
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Thanks, researching that now, but this seems extremely annoying.  wouldnt
> > it just be easier if you could edit the config files raw from the admin
> > UI?
> >
> > On Tue, Nov 20, 2018 at 1:41 PM Pure Host - Wolfgang Freudenberger <
> > [hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > Hi David,
> > >

> > > You can upload configuration to the zookeeper - it is nearly the same
> as
> > > the standaloneconfig.
> > >
> > > You can also edit the schema.xml in this file. At least I do it like
> this.
> > >
> > > Mit freundlichem Gruß / kind regards
> > >
> > > Wolfgang Freudenberger
> > > Pure Host IT-Services
> > > Münsterstr. 14
> > > 48341 Altenberge
> > > GERMANY
> > > Tel.: (+49) 25 71 - 99 20 170
> > > Fax: (+49) 25 71 - 99 20 171
> > >
> > > Umsatzsteuer ID DE259181123
> > >
> > > Informieren Sie sich über unser gesamtes Leistungsspektrum unter
> > > www.pure-host.de
> > > Get our whole services at www.pure-host.de

> schema
> fields
> > > and
> for
> guide or
> solr?

Re: Solr Cloud configuration

Adam Constabaris-2
David,

One benefit of the way recommended in the reference guide is that it lets
you use zookeeper upconfig/downconfig as deployment tools on a set of text
files, which in turn allows you to manage your Solr configuration like any
other bit of source code, e.g. with version control and, if your situation
permits, things like branching and pull requests or other review mechanisms.

In particular I have found the capacity to view diffs, have peers review,
and the ease of deploying changes to test and staging environments before
moving them into production is worth the effort all by itself.

HTH,

AC

On Tue, Nov 20, 2018 at 2:22 PM David Hastings <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Well considering that any access to the user interface by anyone can
> completely destroy entire collections/cores, I would think the security of
> the stop word file wouldnt be that important
> Thanks Erick, it seems the only reason I have any desire to use SolrCloud
> is the use of streaming expressions.  I think thats the only benefit that
> more hardware cant solve.
>
> On Tue, Nov 20, 2018 at 2:17 PM Erick Erickson <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > David:
> >
> > Sure would. See https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-5287.
> > Especially the bits about how allowing this leads to security
> > vulnerabilities. You're not the first one who had this idea ;).....
> >
> > Whether those security issues are still valid is another question I
> > suppose.
> >
> > Best,
> > Erick
> > On Tue, Nov 20, 2018 at 11:01 AM David Hastings
> > <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > >
> > > Thanks, researching that now, but this seems extremely annoying.
> wouldnt
> > > it just be easier if you could edit the config files raw from the admin
> > > UI?

> > as

> > this.

> > schema
> > fields
> > for
> > guide or
> > solr?

Re: Solr Cloud configuration

Edward Ribeiro
Hi David,

Well, as a last resort you can resort to classic schema.xml if you are
using standalone Solr and don't bother to give up schema API. Then you are
back to manually editing conf/ files. See:

https://lucene.apache.org/solr/guide/7_4/schema-factory-definition-in-solrconfig.html

Best regards,
Edward

Em ter, 20 de nov de 2018 18:21, Adam Constabaris <[hidden email]
escreveu:

> David,
>
> One benefit of the way recommended in the reference guide is that it lets
> you use zookeeper upconfig/downconfig as deployment tools on a set of text
> files, which in turn allows you to manage your Solr configuration like any
> other bit of source code, e.g. with version control and, if your situation
> permits, things like branching and pull requests or other review
> mechanisms.
>
> In particular I have found the capacity to view diffs, have peers review,
> and the ease of deploying changes to test and staging environments before
> moving them into production is worth the effort all by itself.
>
> HTH,
>
> AC
>

> On Tue, Nov 20, 2018 at 2:22 PM David Hastings <
> [hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > Well considering that any access to the user interface by anyone can
> > completely destroy entire collections/cores, I would think the security
> of
> > the stop word file wouldnt be that important
> > Thanks Erick, it seems the only reason I have any desire to use SolrCloud
> > is the use of streaming expressions.  I think thats the only benefit that
> > more hardware cant solve.
> >
> > On Tue, Nov 20, 2018 at 2:17 PM Erick Erickson <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > David:
> > >
> > > Sure would. See https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-5287.
> > > Especially the bits about how allowing this leads to security
> > > vulnerabilities. You're not the first one who had this idea ;).....
> > >
> > > Whether those security issues are still valid is another question I
> > > suppose.
> > >
> > > Best,
> > > Erick

> > wouldnt
> admin

> same
> > > as

> like
> > > this.

> > > schema
> > > fields
> api
> > > for
> > > guide or
> > > solr?

Re: Solr Cloud configuration

David Hastings
But then I would lose the steaming expressions right?