Solr JSON Facet API & aggregation functions documentation

Solr JSON Facet API & aggregation functions documentation

Bram Van Dam
Hey folks,

Yonik's blog [1] contains a list of aggregation functions supported by
the JSON Facet API (the json.facet parameter) butI can't seem to find
documentation for these on the cwiki.

There's an old TODO list on the cwiki which mentions that this still
needs to happen. [2]

Is anyone working on this? Do I simply suck at searching the cwiki? Or
can we kindly borrow Yonik's blog post and use its contents for
documentation?

[1] http://yonik.com/solr-facet-functions/
[2] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/solr/Internal+-+TODO+List

 - Bram

Re: Solr JSON Facet API & aggregation functions documentation

Erick Erickson
I don't see it in the ref guide. BTW, I download the full PDF as
searching that is sometimes helpful.

We've recently gone to AsciiDoc which is much easier to edit IMO, and
also allows anyone (hint hint) to attach a patch to a JIRA for the
documentation that makes it into the next version of reference guide
as well as the current online version.

IntelliJ has a plugin that has a pretty good previewer, and Atom is
free and does the same.

Best,
Erick

On Mon, Jun 19, 2017 at 7:58 AM, Bram Van Dam <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hey folks,
>
> Yonik's blog [1] contains a list of aggregation functions supported by
> the JSON Facet API (the json.facet parameter) butI can't seem to find
> documentation for these on the cwiki.
>
> There's an old TODO list on the cwiki which mentions that this still
> needs to happen. [2]
>
> Is anyone working on this? Do I simply suck at searching the cwiki? Or
> can we kindly borrow Yonik's blog post and use its contents for
> documentation?
>
> [1] http://yonik.com/solr-facet-functions/
> [2] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/solr/Internal+-+TODO+List
>
>  - Bram

Re: Solr JSON Facet API & aggregation functions documentation

Cassandra Targett
The JSON facet docs were in the "in progress" area of the old Ref
Guide: https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/solr/Faceted+Search.
That page is probably rather out-of-date, since nearly all changes
from the time the page was first created are still listed on the TODO
list as undone (as Bram mentioned).

The various "in progress" files were exported from Confluence when I
did that for the Ref Guide migration in May, but have not yet been
converted to AsciiDoc format or committed to master.

On 19/06/17 17:38, Erick Erickson wrote:
> We've recently gone to AsciiDoc which is much easier to edit IMO, and
> also allows anyone (hint hint) to attach a patch to a JIRA for the
> documentation that makes it into the next version of reference guide
> as well as the current online version.

Hint taken, I'll see what I can do. I have to document some of the
functions (hll and others) for use in our application anyway, so I might
as well see if I can take it a bit further.

 - Bram

Re: Solr JSON Facet API & aggregation functions documentation

Cassandra Targett
Bram,

If you open a JIRA issue for the effort, I will make sure the existing
doc is converted into the new AsciiDoc format and upload it there for
you to build from.

Cassandra

On Wed, Jun 21, 2017 at 1:33 AM, Bram Van Dam <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 19/06/17 17:38, Erick Erickson wrote:
>> We've recently gone to AsciiDoc which is much easier to edit IMO, and
>> also allows anyone (hint hint) to attach a patch to a JIRA for the
>> documentation that makes it into the next version of reference guide
>> as well as the current online version.
>
> Hint taken, I'll see what I can do. I have to document some of the
> functions (hll and others) for use in our application anyway, so I might
> as well see if I can take it a bit further.
>
>  - Bram

Re: Solr JSON Facet API & aggregation functions documentation

Cassandra Targett
Picking up on this old thread, I've created an issue for adding docs
on JSON Facet API to the Solr Ref Guide, and attached the converted
export of the page that used to be in the Ref Guide "draft" area: