Solr Size Limitation upto 32 kb limitation

Solr Size Limitation upto 32 kb limitation

Kranthi Kumar K

Hi team,

We are currently using Solr 4.2.1 version in our project and everything is going well. But recently, we are facing an issue with Solr Data Import. It is not importing the files with size greater than 32766 bytes (i.e, 32 kb) and showing 2 exceptions:

  1. java.lang.illegalargumentexception
  2. org.apache.lucene.util.bytesref hash$maxbyteslengthexceededexception

Please find the attached screenshot for reference.

We have searched for solutions in many forums and didn’t find the exact solution for this issue. Interestingly, we found in the article, by changing the type of the ‘field’ from sting to  ‘text_general’ might solve the issue. Please have a look in the below forum:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/29445323/adding-a-document-to-the-index-in-solr-document-contains-at-least-one-immense-t

Schema.xml:

Changed from:

‘<field name="text" type="string_rev" indexed="true" stored="false" multiValued="true" />’

Changed to:

‘<field name="text" type="text_general " indexed="true" stored="false" multiValued="true" />’

We have tried it but still it is not importing the files > 32 KB or 32766 bytes.

Could you please let us know the solution to fix this issue? We’ll be awaiting your reply.

Solr Issue.PNG (281K) Download Attachment

Re: Solr Size Limitation upto 32 kb limitation

Erick Erickson
First off, the field in question is "FileContent", why do you think
the filed "text" is the problem?
Try switching FileContent to a text-based type.

If that's not the case, depending on the tokenizer and the input you
_still_ may
have an immense term even if you have a text-based field. For example, the
data could be something like base64 encoded, which has no spaces and you
are using a tokenizer that only breaks on whitespace.

You simply have got to look at the input data to make sense of the problem

Best,
Erick

On Fri, Jan 4, 2019 at 3:32 AM Kranthi Kumar K
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi team,
>

> We are currently using Solr 4.2.1 version in our project and everything is going well. But recently, we are facing an issue with Solr Data Import. It is not importing the files with size greater than 32766 bytes (i.e, 32 kb) and showing 2 exceptions:
>

> java.lang.illegalargumentexception
> org.apache.lucene.util.bytesref hash$maxbyteslengthexceededexception
>

> Please find the attached screenshot for reference.
>

> We have searched for solutions in many forums and didn’t find the exact solution for this issue. Interestingly, we found in the article, by changing the type of the ‘field’ from sting to  ‘text_general’ might solve the issue. Please have a look in the below forum:
>

> https://stackoverflow.com/questions/29445323/adding-a-document-to-the-index-in-solr-document-contains-at-least-one-immense-t
>

> Schema.xml:
>
> Changed from:
>
> ‘<field name="text" type="string_rev" indexed="true" stored="false" multiValued="true" />’
>

> Changed to:
>
> ‘<field name="text" type="text_general " indexed="true" stored="false" multiValued="true" />’
>

> We have tried it but still it is not importing the files > 32 KB or 32766 bytes.
>

> Could you please let us know the solution to fix this issue? We’ll be awaiting your reply.

Re: Solr Size Limitation upto 32 kb limitation

Kranthi Kumar K

Hi Team,

Can we have any updates on the below issue? We are awaiting your reply.

Thanks,

Kranthi kumar.K

Re: Solr Size Limitation upto 32 kb limitation

Toke Eskildsen-2
On Thu, 2019-01-17 at 07:12 +0000, Kranthi Kumar K wrote:
> Can we have any updates on the below issue? We are awaiting your
> reply.

Erick Erickson posted a reply 5 hours after you asked your original
question on the developer mailinglist. I suggest you write a follow-up
to his answer if it did not solve your problem.

- Toke Eskildsen, royal Danish Library

RE: Solr Size Limitation upto 32 kb limitation

Kranthi Kumar K

Hi team,

Thank you Erick Erickson ,Bernd Fehling , Jan Hoydahl for your suggested solutions. I’ve tried the suggested one’s and still we are unable to import files having            size  >32 kb, it is displaying same error.

Below link has the suggested solutions. Please have a look once.

http://lucene.472066.n3.nabble.com/Solr-Size-Limitation-upto-32-KB-files-td4419779.html

  1. As per Erick Erickson, I’ve changed the string type to Text type based and still the issue occurs .

I’ve changed from :

<field name="FileContent" type="string_rev" indexed="true" stored="true" />

Changed to:

<field name="FileContent" type="text" indexed="true" stored="true" />

If we do so, it is showing error in the log, please find the error in the attachment.

If I change to:

<field name="FileContent" type="text_general" indexed="true" stored="true" />

It is not showing any error , but the issue still exists.

  1. As per Jan Hoydahl, I have gone through the link that you have provided and checked ‘requestParsers’ tag in solrconfig.xml,

RequestParsers tag in our application is as follows:

‘<requestParsers enableRemoteStreaming="true"

                    multipartUploadLimitInKB="2048000"

                    formdataUploadLimitInKB="2048"

                    addHttpRequestToContext="false"/>’

Request parsers, which we are using and in the link you have provided are similar. And still we are unable to import the files size >32 kb.

  1. As per Bernd Fehling, we are using Solr 4.10.2. you have mentioned as,

If you are trying to add larger content then you have to "chop" that
by yourself and add it as multivalued. Can be done within a self written loader.

I’m a newbie to Solr and I didn’t get what exactly ‘self written loader’ is?

Could you please provide us sample code, that helps us to go further?

image001

Thanks & Regards,

Kranthi Kumar.K,

Software Engineer,

Ccube Fintech Global Services Pvt Ltd.,

Email/Skype: [hidden email],

Mobile: +91-8978078449.

solr size.PNG (13K) Download Attachment

RE: Solr Size Limitation upto 32 kb limitation

Kranthi Kumar K

Thank you Bernd Fehling for your suggested solution, I've tried the same by changing the type and added multivalued to true in Schema.xml file i.e,

change from:

<field name="FileContent" type="text_general" indexed="true" stored="true" />

Changed to:

<field name="FileContent" type="text_general" indexed="true" stored="true" multiValued="true" />

After changing it also still we are unable to import the files size > 32 kb. please find the solution suggested by Bernd in the below url:

http://lucene.472066.n3.nabble.com/Re-Solr-Size-Limitation-upto-32-kb-limitation-td4421569.html

Bernd Fehling, could you please suggest another alternative solution to resolve our issue, which would help us alot?

Please let me know for any questions.

image001

Thanks & Regards,

Kranthi Kumar.K,

Software Engineer,

Ccube Fintech Global Services Pvt Ltd.,

Email/Skype: [hidden email],

Mobile: +91-8978078449.

Can we have any updates on the below issue? We are awaiting your reply.

Thanks,

Kranthi kumar.K

RE: Solr Size Limitation upto 32 kb limitation

Michelle Ngo

Thanks [hidden email] for following up

Can we have any updates on the below issue? We are awaiting your reply.

Thanks,

Kranthi kumar.K

Re: Solr Size Limitation upto 32 kb limitation

Jan Høydahl / Cominvent
I cannot see why you'd want a single term of 32kb in your index anyway. Can you give us examples of what these terms are and how you will search them?
What kind of files are you indexing, could it be like bad PDFs consisting of a bunch of binary garbage?
Try adding a lengthFilterFactory to your fieldType(s). See https://lucene.apache.org/solr/guide/7_6/filter-descriptions.html#length-filter

--
Jan Høydahl, search solution architect
Cominvent AS - www.cominvent.com

24. jan. 2019 kl. 06:51 skrev Kranthi Kumar K <[hidden email]>:

Thank you Bernd Fehling for your suggested solution, I've tried the same by changing the type and added multivalued to true in Schema.xml file i.e,
change from:

<field name="FileContent" type="text_general" indexed="true" stored="true" />

Changed to:

<field name="FileContent" type="text_general" indexed="true" stored="true" multiValued="true" />

After changing it also still we are unable to import the files size > 32 kb. please find the solution suggested by Bernd in the below url:

Bernd Fehling, could you please suggest another alternative solution to resolve our issue, which would help us alot?

Please let me know for any questions.

<image001.png>

Thanks & Regards,
Kranthi Kumar.K,
Software Engineer,
Ccube Fintech Global Services Pvt Ltd.,
Email/Skype: [hidden email],

Can we have any updates on the below issue? We are awaiting your reply.

Thanks,

Kranthi kumar.K

Re: Solr Size Limitation upto 32 kb limitation

Erick Erickson
What Jan said.

If you are getting this error on a _text_ based field, then your data
is bad. What it's telling you is that _after_ tokenization, you have a
single _term_ that's > 32K which is almost, but not quite totally,
useless.

ImagineASingleWordThatRunsOnForMoreThanThirtyTwoThousandCharactersHowWouldThatBeUsefulToEitherSearchOrReturnToTheUserWouldThisSingleWordImTypingBeUsefulAndItIsntEvenCloseToThirtyTwoThousandCharacters.....

So I'd try to find out what it is you're processing that shows you
such a large term. It's pretty easy to run Tika on a file in SolrJ,
see: https://lucidworks.com/2012/02/14/indexing-with-solrj/

There are also web sites that'll process the PDF file through Tika and
show you how it parses....

Best,
Erick

On Thu, Jan 24, 2019 at 12:57 AM Jan Høydahl <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I cannot see why you'd want a single term of 32kb in your index anyway. Can you give us examples of what these terms are and how you will search them?
> What kind of files are you indexing, could it be like bad PDFs consisting of a bunch of binary garbage?
> Try adding a lengthFilterFactory to your fieldType(s). See https://lucene.apache.org/solr/guide/7_6/filter-descriptions.html#length-filter

> Cominvent AS - www.cominvent.com
>
> 24. jan. 2019 kl. 06:51 skrev Kranthi Kumar K <[hidden email]>:
>
> Thank you Bernd Fehling for your suggested solution, I've tried the same by changing the type and added multivalued to true in Schema.xml file i.e,
> change from:
>
> <field name="FileContent" type="text_general" indexed="true" stored="true" />
>
> Changed to:
>
> <field name="FileContent" type="text_general" indexed="true" stored="true" multiValued="true" />
>
> After changing it also still we are unable to import the files size > 32 kb. please find the solution suggested by Bernd in the below url:
>
> http://lucene.472066.n3.nabble.com/Re-Solr-Size-Limitation-upto-32-kb-limitation-td4421569.html
>
> Bernd Fehling, could you please suggest another alternative solution to resolve our issue, which would help us alot?
>
> Please let me know for any questions.
>

> <image001.png>
>
> Thanks & Regards,
> Kranthi Kumar.K,
> Software Engineer,
> Ccube Fintech Global Services Pvt Ltd.,
> Email/Skype: [hidden email],

Thanks for your suggestions that you've posted, but none of them have fixed our issue. Could you please provide us your valuable suggestions to address this issue.

We'll be awaiting your reply.

Thanks,

Kranthi kumar.K

Can we have any updates on the below issue? We are awaiting your reply.

Thanks,

Kranthi kumar.K

RE: Solr Size Limitation upto 32 kb limitation

Kranthi Kumar K

Hi Team,

We didn’t get any suggested solutions. Could you help us by providing better approach or a solution to fix the issue?

We’ll be awaiting your reply.