Solr Subfaceting

Ponnuswamy, Poornima (GE Healthcare)
Hello,

We have Solr version 6.4.2  and we have been using Solr Subfaceting – Terms Facet as per the document https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/solr/Faceted+Search in our project.

In our project which is going to go in production soon, we use it for getting the facet/subfacet counts, sort etc. We make a direct rest call to solr and the counts matches perfectly. I have few questions and clarification on this approach and appreciate your response on this.

  1.  In confluence - https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/solr/Faceted+Search it page says its experimental and may change significantly. Is it safe for us to use the Terms faceting or will it change in future releases?. When will this be official?.
  2.  As Term faceting has few advantages over Pivot facet as per http://yonik.com/solr-subfacets/ we went on with it. Is it safe to use it or do we use Pivot faceting instead?
  3.  Currently we make a rest call to Solr API to get results. Now we are planning to move to Solr Cloud and use Solrj library to integrate with Solr. I don’t see any support for Terms faceting (json.facet) in Solrj library. Am I overlooking it or will it be supported in future releases?

Appreciate your response.

Thanks,
Poornima

Re: Solr Subfaceting

Amrit Sarkar
Poornima,

Regarding 3;
You can do something like:

CloudSolrClient client = new CloudSolrClient("localhost:9983");

SolrParams params = new ModifiableSolrParams().add("q","*:*")
        .add("json.facet","{.....}");

QueryResponse response = client.query(params);

Setting key and value via SolrParams is available.

Amrit Sarkar
Search Engineer
Lucidworks, Inc.
415-589-9269
www.lucidworks.com
Twitter http://twitter.com/lucidworks
LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/sarkaramrit2

On Mon, Jul 17, 2017 at 8:48 PM, Ponnuswamy, Poornima (GE Healthcare) <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> We have Solr version 6.4.2  and we have been using Solr Subfaceting –
> Terms Facet as per the document https://cwiki.apache.org/
> confluence/display/solr/Faceted+Search in our project.
>
> In our project which is going to go in production soon, we use it for
> getting the facet/subfacet counts, sort etc. We make a direct rest call to
> solr and the counts matches perfectly. I have few questions and
> clarification on this approach and appreciate your response on this.
>

>   1.  In confluence - https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/solr/
> Faceted+Search it page says its experimental and may change
> significantly. Is it safe for us to use the Terms faceting or will it
> change in future releases?. When will this be official?.
>   2.  As Term faceting has few advantages over Pivot facet as per
> http://yonik.com/solr-subfacets/ we went on with it. Is it safe to use it
> or do we use Pivot faceting instead?
>   3.  Currently we make a rest call to Solr API to get results. Now we are
> planning to move to Solr Cloud and use Solrj library to integrate with
> Solr. I don’t see any support for Terms faceting (json.facet) in Solrj
> library. Am I overlooking it or will it be supported in future releases?
>
> Appreciate your response.
>
> Thanks,
> Poornima

Re: Solr Subfaceting

Ponnuswamy, Poornima (GE Healthcare)
Thanks for your response. I have tried with SolrParams and it works for me.

Any feedback on question 1 & 2.

Thanks,
Poornima

    [hidden email]> wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > We have Solr version 6.4.2  and we have been using Solr Subfaceting –
    > Terms Facet as per the document https://cwiki.apache.org/
    > confluence/display/solr/Faceted+Search in our project.
    >
    > In our project which is going to go in production soon, we use it for
    > getting the facet/subfacet counts, sort etc. We make a direct rest call to
    > solr and the counts matches perfectly. I have few questions and
    > clarification on this approach and appreciate your response on this.
    >
    >
    >
    >   1.  In confluence - https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/solr/
    > Faceted+Search it page says its experimental and may change
    > significantly. Is it safe for us to use the Terms faceting or will it
    > change in future releases?. When will this be official?.
    >   2.  As Term faceting has few advantages over Pivot facet as per
    > http://yonik.com/solr-subfacets/ we went on with it. Is it safe to use it
    > or do we use Pivot faceting instead?
    >   3.  Currently we make a rest call to Solr API to get results. Now we are
    > planning to move to Solr Cloud and use Solrj library to integrate with
    > Solr. I don’t see any support for Terms faceting (json.facet) in Solrj
    > library. Am I overlooking it or will it be supported in future releases?
    >
    > Appreciate your response.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Poornima

Re: Solr Subfaceting

Amrit Sarkar
Poornima,

  1.  In confluence - https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/solr/
Faceted+Search it page says its experimental and may change significantly.
Is it safe for us to use the Terms faceting or will it change in future
releases?. When will this be official?.

A lot of people / engineers are using json faceting in their production
today itself. By "experimental and may change significantly" simple means
the end points of request and response may change in in future releases,
hence the back-compat will suffer. If you are upgrading to future released
solr version, you have to make sure the client code you have wrote at your
end (via SolrJ) is upto date with that solr version (you upgrade to).

  2.  As Term faceting has few advantages over Pivot facet as per
http://yonik.com/solr-subfacets/ we went on with it. Is it safe to use it
or do we use Pivot faceting instead?

In my opinion, you should use the better feature. Though you may hit some
limitations of json faceting and their respective would be jiras opened too.

Rest Mr. Seeley would be the the best person the 2nd.

Amrit Sarkar
Search Engineer
Lucidworks, Inc.
415-589-9269