Solr nested objects (child documents)

roiwexler
Hi,
we're at the process of testing Solr for it's indexing speed which is very
impotent to our application.
we've witnessed strange behavior that we wish to understand before using it.
when we indexed 1M docs it took about 63 seconds but when we indexed the
same documents only now we've nested them as 1000 parented with 1000 child
documents each, it took only 27 seconds.

we know that Lucene don't support nested documents for it has a flat object
model, and we do see that in fact it does index each of the child documents
as a separate document.

we have tests shows that we get the same results in case we index all
documents flat (without childs) or when we index them as 1000 parents with
1000 nested documents each.

do we miss something here?
why does it behave like that?
what kind of constraints does child documents have, or what is the price we
pay to get this better index speed?
we're trying to establish if this is a valid way to get a better performance
in index speed..

any help will be appreciated.

Re: Solr nested objects (child documents)

Zheng Lin Edwin Yeo
Which Solr version are you using?

Regards,
Edwin

On Thu, 11 Apr 2019 at 22:34, roiwexler <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
> we're at the process of testing Solr for it's indexing speed which is very
> impotent to our application.
> we've witnessed strange behavior that we wish to understand before using
> it.
> when we indexed 1M docs it took about 63 seconds but when we indexed the
> same documents only now we've nested them as 1000 parented with 1000 child
> documents each, it took only 27 seconds.
>
> we know that Lucene don't support nested documents for it has a flat object
> model, and we do see that in fact it does index each of the child documents
> as a separate document.
>
> we have tests shows that we get the same results in case we index all
> documents flat (without childs) or when we index them as 1000 parents with
> 1000 nested documents each.
>
> do we miss something here?
> why does it behave like that?
> what kind of constraints does child documents have, or what is the price we
> pay to get this better index speed?
> we're trying to establish if this is a valid way to get a better
> performance
> in index speed..
>
> any help will be appreciated.

Re: Solr nested objects (child documents)

roiwexler
latest. why is that important?