Quantcast

Solr on Google App Engine

pk

Solr on Google App Engine

pk
Hi,
I was wondering if Solr can be deployed/run on Google App Engine. GAE has
some restrictions, notably no local file write access is allowed, instead
applications must use JDO/JPA etc.

I believe Solr can be deployed/run on Amazon EC2.

Has anyone tried Solr on these two hosts?

Thanks.
Praveen

Re: Solr on Google App Engine

mausch
Solr on GAE has been discussed a couple of times, see these threads:

http://www.mail-archive.com/java-user@.../msg26010.html
<http://www.mail-archive.com/java-user@.../msg26010.html>
http://www.mail-archive.com/solr-user@.../msg24473.html
<http://www.mail-archive.com/solr-user@.../msg24473.html>
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/lucene-dev/201005.mbox/%3Co2w952e01251005032245r79d6bfd6zbe08ece212c821c0@...%3E

--
Mauricio

On Thu, Dec 9, 2010 at 9:07 AM, Praveen Agrawal <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
> I was wondering if Solr can be deployed/run on Google App Engine. GAE has
> some restrictions, notably no local file write access is allowed, instead
> applications must use JDO/JPA etc.
>
> I believe Solr can be deployed/run on Amazon EC2.
>
> Has anyone tried Solr on these two hosts?
>
> Thanks.
> Praveen

pk

Re: Solr on Google App Engine

pk
Thanks a lot, Mauricio.

Does anyone has any experience on Amazon EC2, or can point me to existing
discussions?

Appreciate your help.
Thanks.
Praveen

On Thu, Dec 9, 2010 at 6:20 PM, Mauricio Scheffer <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Solr on GAE has been discussed a couple of times, see these threads:
>
> http://www.mail-archive.com/java-user@.../msg26010.html
> <http://www.mail-archive.com/java-user@.../msg26010.html>
> http://www.mail-archive.com/solr-user@.../msg24473.html
> <http://www.mail-archive.com/solr-user@.../msg24473.html>
>
> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/lucene-dev/201005.mbox/%3Co2w952e01251005032245r79d6bfd6zbe08ece212c821c0@...%3E
> <
> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/lucene-dev/201005.mbox/%3Co2w952e01251005032245r79d6bfd6zbe08ece212c821c0@...%3E
> >

> --
> Mauricio
>

> On Thu, Dec 9, 2010 at 9:07 AM, Praveen Agrawal <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> > I was wondering if Solr can be deployed/run on Google App Engine. GAE has
> > some restrictions, notably no local file write access is allowed, instead
> > applications must use JDO/JPA etc.
> >
> > I believe Solr can be deployed/run on Amazon EC2.
> >
> > Has anyone tried Solr on these two hosts?
> >
> > Thanks.
> > Praveen

RE: Solr on Google App Engine

Dave Searle
EC2 installations are just windows/linux machines, so this would just be a normal setup. I have a solr server running on a small instance with 1.7gb ram mounted to an EBS volume of 50gb, seems to run fine. Costs about $115 a month

[hidden email]> wrote:

> Solr on GAE has been discussed a couple of times, see these threads:
>
> http://www.mail-archive.com/java-user@.../msg26010.html
> <http://www.mail-archive.com/java-user@.../msg26010.html>
> http://www.mail-archive.com/solr-user@.../msg24473.html
> <http://www.mail-archive.com/solr-user@.../msg24473.html>
>
> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/lucene-dev/201005.mbox/%3Co2w952e01251005032245r79d6bfd6zbe08ece212c821c0@...%3E
> <
> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/lucene-dev/201005.mbox/%3Co2w952e01251005032245r79d6bfd6zbe08ece212c821c0@...%3E
> >

> --
> Mauricio
>

> On Thu, Dec 9, 2010 at 9:07 AM, Praveen Agrawal <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> > I was wondering if Solr can be deployed/run on Google App Engine. GAE has
> > some restrictions, notably no local file write access is allowed, instead
> > applications must use JDO/JPA etc.
> >
> > I believe Solr can be deployed/run on Amazon EC2.
> >
> > Has anyone tried Solr on these two hosts?
> >
> > Thanks.
> > Praveen

pk

Re: Solr on Google App Engine