Solr score use cases

Faraz Fallahi
Hi

A simple question: what are the most common use cases for the solr score of
documents retrieved after firing queries?
I dont have a real understanding of its purpose at the moment.

Thx for helping

Re: Solr score use cases

Aman Tandon
Hi Faraz,

Solr score which you could retrieved by adding in fl parameter could be
helpful to understand the following:

1) search relevance ranking: how much score solr has given to the top &
second top document, and with debug=true you could better understand what
is causing that score.

2) You could use the function query to multiply score with some feature
e.g. paid customers score, popularity score, etc to improve the relevance
as per the business.

I am able to think these few points only, someone can also put more light
if I am missing anything. I hope this is what you want to know. 😊

Regards,
Aman

On Dec 1, 2017 13:38, "Faraz Fallahi" <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi

A simple question: what are the most common use cases for the solr score of
documents retrieved after firing queries?
I dont have a real understanding of its purpose at the moment.

Thx for helping

Re: Solr score use cases

Faraz Fallahi
Oki but If ID Just make an simple query with a "where Claude" and sort by a
field i See no sense in calculating a score right?

Am 01.12.2017 16:33 schrieb "Aman Tandon" <[hidden email]>:

> Hi Faraz,
>
> Solr score which you could retrieved by adding in fl parameter could be
> helpful to understand the following:
>
> 1) search relevance ranking: how much score solr has given to the top &
> second top document, and with debug=true you could better understand what
> is causing that score.
>
> 2) You could use the function query to multiply score with some feature
> e.g. paid customers score, popularity score, etc to improve the relevance
> as per the business.
>
> I am able to think these few points only, someone can also put more light
> if I am missing anything. I hope this is what you want to know. 😊
>
> Regards,
> Aman
>
> On Dec 1, 2017 13:38, "Faraz Fallahi" <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> Hi
>
> A simple question: what are the most common use cases for the solr score of
> documents retrieved after firing queries?
> I dont have a real understanding of its purpose at the moment.
>
> Thx for helping

Re: Solr score use cases

Faraz Fallahi
Or does the Score even get calculated when i sort or Not?

Am 01.12.2017 4:38 nachm. schrieb "Faraz Fallahi" <
[hidden email]>:

> Oki but If ID Just make an simple query with a "where Claude" and sort by
> a field i See no sense in calculating a score right?
>
> Am 01.12.2017 16:33 schrieb "Aman Tandon" <[hidden email]>:
>
>> Hi Faraz,
>>
>> Solr score which you could retrieved by adding in fl parameter could be
>> helpful to understand the following:
>>
>> 1) search relevance ranking: how much score solr has given to the top &
>> second top document, and with debug=true you could better understand what
>> is causing that score.
>>
>> 2) You could use the function query to multiply score with some feature
>> e.g. paid customers score, popularity score, etc to improve the relevance
>> as per the business.
>>
>> I am able to think these few points only, someone can also put more light
>> if I am missing anything. I hope this is what you want to know. 😊
>>
>> Regards,
>> Aman
>>
>> On Dec 1, 2017 13:38, "Faraz Fallahi" <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>> Hi
>>
>> A simple question: what are the most common use cases for the solr score
>> of
>> documents retrieved after firing queries?
>> I dont have a real understanding of its purpose at the moment.
>>
>> Thx for helping

Re: Solr score use cases

Erick Erickson
Sorting certainly ignores scoring, I'm pretty sure it's just not
calculated in that case.

If your sorting results in multiple documents in the same bin, people
will combine the primary sort with a secondary sort on score, so in
that case the score is definitely calculated, ie "&sort=day asc, score
desc"

Returning the score with documents is usually for development
purposes. Scores are _not_ comparable except within a single query, so
IMO telling users that a doc from one search has a score of X and a
doc from another search has a score of Y is useless-to-misleading
information. A score of 2X is _not_ necessarily "twice as good" (or
even as good) as a score of X in another search.

FWIW,
Erick

On Fri, Dec 1, 2017 at 6:31 AM, Faraz Fallahi
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Or does the Score even get calculated when i sort or Not?
>
> Am 01.12.2017 4:38 nachm. schrieb "Faraz Fallahi" <
> [hidden email]>:
>
>> Oki but If ID Just make an simple query with a "where Claude" and sort by
>> a field i See no sense in calculating a score right?
>>
>> Am 01.12.2017 16:33 schrieb "Aman Tandon" <[hidden email]>:
>>
>>> Hi Faraz,
>>>
>>> Solr score which you could retrieved by adding in fl parameter could be
>>> helpful to understand the following:
>>>
>>> 1) search relevance ranking: how much score solr has given to the top &
>>> second top document, and with debug=true you could better understand what
>>> is causing that score.
>>>
>>> 2) You could use the function query to multiply score with some feature
>>> e.g. paid customers score, popularity score, etc to improve the relevance
>>> as per the business.
>>>
>>> I am able to think these few points only, someone can also put more light
>>> if I am missing anything. I hope this is what you want to know. 😊
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Aman
>>>
>>> On Dec 1, 2017 13:38, "Faraz Fallahi" <[hidden email]>
>>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> A simple question: what are the most common use cases for the solr score
>>> of
>>> documents retrieved after firing queries?
>>> I dont have a real understanding of its purpose at the moment.
>>>
>>> Thx for helping

Re: Solr score use cases

Faraz Fallahi
Thx for the clarification
Best regards

Am 01.12.2017 18:25 schrieb "Erick Erickson" <[hidden email]>:

> Sorting certainly ignores scoring, I'm pretty sure it's just not
> calculated in that case.
>
> If your sorting results in multiple documents in the same bin, people
> will combine the primary sort with a secondary sort on score, so in
> that case the score is definitely calculated, ie "&sort=day asc, score
> desc"
>
> Returning the score with documents is usually for development
> purposes. Scores are _not_ comparable except within a single query, so
> IMO telling users that a doc from one search has a score of X and a
> doc from another search has a score of Y is useless-to-misleading
> information. A score of 2X is _not_ necessarily "twice as good" (or
> even as good) as a score of X in another search.
>
> FWIW,
> Erick
>
> On Fri, Dec 1, 2017 at 6:31 AM, Faraz Fallahi
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Or does the Score even get calculated when i sort or Not?
> >
> > Am 01.12.2017 4:38 nachm. schrieb "Faraz Fallahi" <
> > [hidden email]>:
> >
> >> Oki but If ID Just make an simple query with a "where Claude" and sort
> by
> >> a field i See no sense in calculating a score right?

> what

> relevance

> light

> score

Re: Solr score use cases

alessandro.benedetti
I would like to stress how important is what Erick explained.
A lot of times people want to use the score to show it to the
users/calculate probability/doing weird calculations.

Score is used to rank results, given a query.
To give a local ordering.
This is the only useful information for the end user.

From an administrator/developer perspective is different, debugging the
score could be vital, mainly for relevancy tuning and understanding ranking
bugs.

-----
Alessandro Benedetti
Sease Ltd. - www.sease.io