Solr timeAllowed metric

weiwang19
Hi,

We tried to use solr's timeAllowed parameter to restrict the time spend on
expensive queries.  But as described at

https://lucene.apache.org/solr/guide/6_6/common-query-parameters.html#CommonQueryParameters-ThetimeAllowedParameter

" This value is only checked at the time of Query Expansion and Document
collection" .  Does that mean Solr will not abort the request if
timeAllowed is exceeded during the scoring process? What are the components
(query, facet,  stats, debug etc) this metric is effectively used?

Thanks,
Wei

Re: Solr timeAllowed metric

Mikhail Khludnev-2
Hello, Wei.

"Document collection" is done along side with "scoring process". So,  Solr
will abort the request if
timeAllowed is exceeded during the scoring process.
Query, MLT, grouping are subject of timeAllowed constrains, but facet,
json.facet https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-12478, stats, debug
are not.

Sincerely yours
Mikhail Khludnev

Re: Solr timeAllowed metric

Mikhail Khludnev-2
One note: enum facets might be stopped by timeAllowed.

Sincerely yours
Mikhail Khludnev

Re: Solr timeAllowed metric

weiwang19
Thanks Mikhail! Is traditional facet subject to timeAllowed?

On Mon, Aug 6, 2018 at 3:46 AM, Mikhail Khludnev <[hidden email]> wrote:

> One note: enum facets might be stopped by timeAllowed.
>
> On Mon, Aug 6, 2018 at 1:45 PM Mikhail Khludnev <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hello, Wei.
> >
> > "Document collection" is done along side with "scoring process". So,
> Solr
> > will abort the request if
> > timeAllowed is exceeded during the scoring process.
> > Query, MLT, grouping are subject of timeAllowed constrains, but facet,
> > json.facet https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-12478, stats,
> debug
> > are not.
> >
> > On Fri, Aug 3, 2018 at 11:34 PM Wei <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> We tried to use solr's timeAllowed parameter to restrict the time spend
> on
> >> expensive queries.  But as described at
> >>

> >> https://lucene.apache.org/solr/guide/6_6/common-query-parameters.html#
> CommonQueryParameters-ThetimeAllowedParameter
> >>
> >> " This value is only checked at the time of Query Expansion and Document
> >> collection" .  Does that mean Solr will not abort the request if
> >> timeAllowed is exceeded during the scoring process? What are the
> >> components
> >> (query, facet,  stats, debug etc) this metric is effectively used?
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >> Wei
> >>

> > --
> > Sincerely yours
> > Mikhail Khludnev
> >

> --
> Sincerely yours
> Mikhail Khludnev

Re: Solr timeAllowed metric

Mikhail Khludnev-2
facet.method=fc not facet.method=fsc are not, but facet.method=enum has a
chance to be stopped when  timeAllowed is exceeded.

--
Sincerely yours
Mikhail Khludnev