SolrCloud with separate JAVA instances

Bernd Fehling
I have SolrCloud with a collection "test1" with 5 shards 2 replicas accoss 5 server.
This cloud is started at port 8983 on each server.

Now I have a second collection "test2" with 5 shards 1 replica accross the same
5 server. But this second collection is started in seperate JAVA instances at
port 7574 on all 5 server.

Both JAVA instances use the same zookeeper pool but each collection has its own
config in zookeeper.

If I now use the Admin GUI at port 8983 and select "Cloud"->"Graph" I see both collections.
Also with Admin GUI at port port 7574.
And I can select both collection in "Collection Selection" dropdown box.

Why and is this how it should be?

I thought different JAVA instances at different ports are separated by each other?

Regards,
Bernd

Re: SolrCloud with separate JAVA instances

Erick Erickson
bq. I thought different JAVA instances at different ports are separated by each other?

Not at all. If that were true, how would you use more than one physical machine? The combination URL:PORT is, from Solr’s perspective, just some Solr node. There’s no assumption about what machine it’s running on, whether there are two or more JVMs on the same machine etc.

Best,
Erick

> On Apr 3, 2019, at 7:16 AM, Bernd Fehling <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I have SolrCloud with a collection "test1" with 5 shards 2 replicas accoss 5 server.
> This cloud is started at port 8983 on each server.
>
> Now I have a second collection "test2" with 5 shards 1 replica accross the same
> 5 server. But this second collection is started in seperate JAVA instances at
> port 7574 on all 5 server.
>
> Both JAVA instances use the same zookeeper pool but each collection has its own
> config in zookeeper.
>
> If I now use the Admin GUI at port 8983 and select "Cloud"->"Graph" I see both collections.
> Also with Admin GUI at port port 7574.
> And I can select both collection in "Collection Selection" dropdown box.
>
> Why and is this how it should be?
>
> I thought different JAVA instances at different ports are separated by each other?
>
> Regards,
> Bernd

Re: SolrCloud with separate JAVA instances

Shawn Heisey-2
On 4/3/2019 8:16 AM, Bernd Fehling wrote:
> If I now use the Admin GUI at port 8983 and select "Cloud"->"Graph" I
> see both collections.
> Also with Admin GUI at port port 7574.
> And I can select both collection in "Collection Selection" dropdown box.
>
> Why and is this how it should be?
>
> I thought different JAVA instances at different ports are separated by
> each other?

If you have multiple Solr instances on the same machine, SolrCloud has
no idea that they are on the same machine.  It will treat them as if
they are separate machines.

You can see both collections in one admin UI because all of the machines
are all using the same ZooKeeper string when they start.  That means
they're all part of the same cloud.  They would need to be using
different zookeeper information to be separate -- that could either be
different ZK servers or a different chroot on the zkstring.

Thanks,
Shawn