SynonymGraphFilter can't consume an incoming graph

SynonymGraphFilter can't consume an incoming graph

lambda.coder lucene
Hello,

The Javadocs of SynonymGraphFilter says that it can’t consume an incoming graph and that the result will be undefined

Is there any example that exhibits the limitations and what is meant by undefined ?

Regards
Patrick

Re: SynonymGraphFilter can't consume an incoming graph

Erick Erickson
It's, well, undefined. As in nobody knows except that it'll be wrong.
And exactly what the results are may change with any given release.

Best,
Erick

On Sun, Feb 10, 2019 at 10:48 AM lambda.coder lucene
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> The Javadocs of SynonymGraphFilter says that it can’t consume an incoming graph and that the result will be undefined
>
> Is there any example that exhibits the limitations and what is meant by undefined ?
>

> Regards
> Patrick

Re: SynonymGraphFilter can't consume an incoming graph

lambda.coder lucene
Thanks Eric for your response

So I guess the answer to Shawn Heisey’s question [1] :

"Since multiple Graph filters cannot be used in an analysis chain, what is somebody running 8.0 supposed to do if they need both the WordDelimiter filter and Synonym filter in their analysis chain? »

is to have an analysis chain for the WordDelimiterGraphFilter and another one for the SynonymGraphFiler and then querying the two corresponding fields at the same time

There is currently no better option / alternative

Am I right ?

Kind regards
Patrick

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENE-6664?focusedCommentId=16386294&page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels%3Acomment-tabpanel#comment-16386294

> Le 11 févr. 2019 à 05:46, Erick Erickson <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>
> It's, well, undefined. As in nobody knows except that it'll be wrong.
> And exactly what the results are may change with any given release.
>
> Best,
> Erick
>
> On Sun, Feb 10, 2019 at 10:48 AM lambda.coder lucene
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> The Javadocs of SynonymGraphFilter says that it can’t consume an incoming graph and that the result will be undefined
>>
>> Is there any example that exhibits the limitations and what is meant by undefined ?
>>

>> Regards
>> Patrick

Re: SynonymGraphFilter can't consume an incoming graph

Michael Sokolov-4
I wonder what happens if you ensure that none of your synonyms contains a
character that WDGF cares about. Then they would operate on a disjoint set
of tokens, and maybe they would (or could be made to) play nicely together?
Even if they hate each other (maybe they detect token graphs and fail even
though they could safely ignore), you could maybe write something using
ConditionalTokenFilter that passes each token to either one or the other,
thereby keeping them separate