Transitioning from Solr 1.2 to Solr 1.3

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Transitioning from Solr 1.2 to Solr 1.3

Michael Tedesco
Hey,

I just want to copy over my indexes from my production server running
1.2 to another test server running 1.3.  Since my Index are live I can't
just stop the it.  I also have 5 GB of indexes so I do not know how long
I will need to take it down.   All option I read backup the index
directory using hard links.  I need to copy the data.   What is the best
way?  I have been using google and solr wiki but haven't found a way to
do this.

Mike Tedesco

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Transitioning from Solr 1.2 to Solr 1.3

Shalin Shekhar Mangar
On Wed, Oct 1, 2008 at 10:28 PM, Michael Tedesco <[hidden email]>wrote:

>
> I just want to copy over my indexes from my production server running 1.2
> to another test server running 1.3.  Since my Index are live I can't just
> stop the it.  I also have 5 GB of indexes so I do not know how long I will
> need to take it down.   All option I read backup the index directory using
> hard links.  I need to copy the data.   What is the best way?  I have been
> using google and solr wiki but haven't found a way to do this.
>

Copying the index may not work because the index format has changed (due to
upgrade in lucene in 1.3). Re-indexing is the only option.

--
Regards,
Shalin Shekhar Mangar.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Transitioning from Solr 1.2 to Solr 1.3

Shalin Shekhar Mangar
Ok, I think I jumped the gun here. I'm not sure on this so I'll let someone
who knows more comment on this.

On Wed, Oct 1, 2008 at 11:03 PM, Shalin Shekhar Mangar <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 1, 2008 at 10:28 PM, Michael Tedesco <[hidden email]>wrote:
>
>>
>> I just want to copy over my indexes from my production server running 1.2
>> to another test server running 1.3.  Since my Index are live I can't just
>> stop the it.  I also have 5 GB of indexes so I do not know how long I will
>> need to take it down.   All option I read backup the index directory using
>> hard links.  I need to copy the data.   What is the best way?  I have been
>> using google and solr wiki but haven't found a way to do this.
>>
>
> Copying the index may not work because the index format has changed (due to
> upgrade in lucene in 1.3). Re-indexing is the only option.
>
> --
> Regards,
> Shalin Shekhar Mangar.
>



--
Regards,
Shalin Shekhar Mangar.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Transitioning from Solr 1.2 to Solr 1.3

Bill Au
Backup or snapshot taken by hard links are save to copy since once Lucene
creates an index file, it will not be modified.

From the 1.3.0 release notes:

The Porter snowball based stemmers in Lucene were updated (LUCENE-1142),
and are not guaranteed to be backward compatible at the index level
(the stem of certain words may have changed).  Re-indexing is recommended.

Bill

On Wed, Oct 1, 2008 at 1:35 PM, Shalin Shekhar Mangar <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Ok, I think I jumped the gun here. I'm not sure on this so I'll let someone
> who knows more comment on this.
>
> On Wed, Oct 1, 2008 at 11:03 PM, Shalin Shekhar Mangar <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Oct 1, 2008 at 10:28 PM, Michael Tedesco <
> [hidden email]>wrote:
> >
> >>
> >> I just want to copy over my indexes from my production server running
> 1.2
> >> to another test server running 1.3.  Since my Index are live I can't
> just
> >> stop the it.  I also have 5 GB of indexes so I do not know how long I
> will
> >> need to take it down.   All option I read backup the index directory
> using
> >> hard links.  I need to copy the data.   What is the best way?  I have
> been
> >> using google and solr wiki but haven't found a way to do this.
> >>
> >
> > Copying the index may not work because the index format has changed (due
> to
> > upgrade in lucene in 1.3). Re-indexing is the only option.
> >
> > --
> > Regards,
> > Shalin Shekhar Mangar.
> >
>
>
>
> --
> Regards,
> Shalin Shekhar Mangar.
>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Transitioning from Solr 1.2 to Solr 1.3

Jason Rennie-2
In reply to this post by Michael Tedesco
We just went through this process.  We simply copied the 1.2 index to the
new server (while the 1.2 server was live---responding to requests and
handling updates) and started it up with 1.3.  It worked.  I can't promise
that you'll have the same experience, but it's worth a try.  Also, if I were
you, I'd assume that some of the documents will be lost, so I'd reindex any
recently added documents.

Jason

On Wed, Oct 1, 2008 at 12:58 PM, Michael Tedesco <[hidden email]>wrote:

> Hey,
>
> I just want to copy over my indexes from my production server running 1.2
> to another test server running 1.3.  Since my Index are live I can't just
> stop the it.  I also have 5 GB of indexes so I do not know how long I will
> need to take it down.   All option I read backup the index directory using
> hard links.  I need to copy the data.   What is the best way?  I have been
> using google and solr wiki but haven't found a way to do this.
>
> Mike Tedesco
>
>


--
Jason Rennie
Head of Machine Learning Technologies, StyleFeeder
http://www.stylefeeder.com/
Samantha's blog & pictures: http://samanthalyrarennie.blogspot.com/