Unexpected docvalues type SORTED_NUMERIC Exception when grouping by a PointField facet

Unexpected docvalues type SORTED_NUMERIC Exception when grouping by a PointField facet

JiaJun Zhu
Hello,

I got an "Unexpected docvalues type SORTED_NUMERIC" exception when I perform group facet on an IntPointField. Debugging into the source code, the cause is that internally the docvalue type for PointField is "NUMERIC" (single value) or "SORTED_NUMERIC" (multi value), while the TermGroupFacetCollector class requires the facet field must have a "SORTED" or "SOTRTED_SET" docvalue type: https://github.com/apache/lucene-solr/blob/2480b74887eff01f729d62a57b415d772f947c91/lucene/grouping/src/java/org/apache/lucene/search/grouping/TermGroupFacetCollector.java#L313

When I change schema for all int field to TrieIntField, the group facet then work. Since internally the docvalue type for TrieField is SORTED (single value) or SORTED_SET (multi value).

Regarding that the "TrieField" is depreciated in Solr7, can someone help on this grouping facet issue for PointField. I also commented this issue in SOLR-7495.

Thanks.

Best regards,

JiaJun
Manager Technology
Alexander Street, a ProQuest Company
No. 201 NingXia Road, Room 6J Shanghai China P.R.
200063

Re: Unexpected docvalues type SORTED_NUMERIC Exception when grouping by a PointField facet

Erick Erickson
Looks like: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-11728