Use of Synonyms

liat oren
Hi all,

I have a list of synonyms for every word.
Is there a good way to use these synonyms?

Currently I use a boost query so if 'a' is the queried word, and 'b' (0.5)
and 'c' (0.2) are its synonyms, I query for:
a^1 + b^0.5 + c^0.2.
Is there a better way of doing it?

Thanks,
Liat

Re: Use of Synonyms

Erick Erickson
What are you trying to do? I think you'd get a better response ifyou
explained what higher-level task/feature you're trying to
implement.

Best
Erick

On Mon, Jul 13, 2009 at 4:54 AM, liat oren <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have a list of synonyms for every word.
> Is there a good way to use these synonyms?
>
> Currently I use a boost query so if 'a' is the queried word, and 'b' (0.5)
> and 'c' (0.2) are its synonyms, I query for:
> a^1 + b^0.5 + c^0.2.
> Is there a better way of doing it?
>
> Thanks,
> Liat

Re: Use of Synonyms

liat oren
I have my own synonyms, which are differnt from the ones in wordNet.
For every word, I have synonyms and the score - for how close the synonym to
its word.
I would like to 'elaborate' the query, to expand it so it will include also
the synonyms of the words given in the query.

Thanks