Using attributes after end of stream

David Kaelbling
Hi,

After incrementToken() returns false, what are attribute getters supposed to return?  I thought that any such calls would be erroneous (the equivalent of NullPointerExceptions), but org.apache.lucene.index.DocInverterPerField.processFields() makes just such a call at line 194.

  Thanks,
  David

--
David Kaelbling
Senior Software Engineer

[hidden email]
T +1.781.810.2041
F +1.781.891.5145

http://www.blackducksoftware.com

Re: Using attributes after end of stream

Michael McCandless-2
I think it depends on the attribute?

In that case (a call to offsetAttribute.endOffset(), after
TokenStream.end() has been called), that method returns the final
offset increment.  This is necessary so multi-valued fields keep the
right offsets (see https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENE-1448
for details of what led to this).

Mike