Using guava on tika ?

Hong-Thai Nguyen
Hi all,

Guava (https://code.google.com/p/guava-libraries/) provides many facilities on text, file, collection ... manipuation. Should we use in Tika ?

Hong-Thai

Re: Using guava on tika ?

Nick Burch-2
On Thu, 6 Mar 2014, Hong-Thai Nguyen wrote:
> Guava (https://code.google.com/p/guava-libraries/) provides many
> facilities on text, file, collection ... manipuation. Should we use in
> Tika ?

Can you give an example of where using Guava would either simplify some
existing code, or improve its effectiveness, or permit something we
couldn't otherwise do?

Nick

Re: Using guava on tika ?

Konstantin Gribov
If you will bring it as a dependency -- don't use guava 15, use guava 16.
It breaks CDI in major appservers (jboss as 7, glassfish 3, websphere) with
incorrect beans.xml.

See https://issues.jboss.org/browse/WELD-1007 and
https://code.google.com/p/guava-libraries/issues/detail?id=1527.

--
Best regards,
Konstantin Gribov.

> On Thu, 6 Mar 2014, Hong-Thai Nguyen wrote:
>
>> Guava (https://code.google.com/p/guava-libraries/) provides many
>> facilities on text, file, collection ... manipuation. Should we use in Tika
>> ?
>>

> Can you give an example of where using Guava would either simplify some
> existing code, or improve its effectiveness, or permit something we
> couldn't otherwise do?
>
> Nick

Re: Using guava on tika ?

Jukka Zitting

On Thu, Mar 6, 2014 at 6:54 AM, Nick Burch <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Thu, 6 Mar 2014, Hong-Thai Nguyen wrote:
>> Guava (https://code.google.com/p/guava-libraries/) provides many
>> facilities on text, file, collection ... manipuation. Should we use in Tika?
>
> Can you give an example of where using Guava would either simplify some
> existing code, or improve its effectiveness, or permit something we couldn't
> otherwise do?

Also, especially in tika-core we've explicitly avoided any external
dependencies to keep it as simple and easy as possible to include as a
dependency in client applications. We've even gone as far as including
copies of some Commons IO classes in org.apache.tika.io instead of
referring to commons-io as a dependency.

BR,

Jukka Zitting

RE: Using guava on tika ?

Hong-Thai Nguyen
Thank for feedback.
Nothing we can't do with our code :) Guava is just 'facilities' make code more clear, shorter and sometime faster.
I agree that this integration brings more dependencies, may create conflicts in end-users applications. Leave as it for now.

Cheers,

Hong-Thai