VOTE: Apache Solr Reference Guide for Solr 8.0

VOTE: Apache Solr Reference Guide for Solr 8.0

Cassandra Targett-2
Please vote to release the Solr Reference Guide for 8.0.

The PDF artifacts can be downloaded from:

$ cat apache-solr-ref-guide-8.0.pdf.sha512
c3d01089cb68fdbaa49dc94483a2643fba71ff9900840fbb1a6cc731f2116a9ce9994ab8b832429948f61c6caa7a52f1abfbc8c479c6958644076a8bf99a62f9  apache-solr-ref-guide-8.0.pdf

The online version is available at: https://lucene.apache.org/solr/guide/8_0/

Here's my +1.

Cassandra

PS - The 8.1 Guide will follow along hopefully by next week.

Re: VOTE: Apache Solr Reference Guide for Solr 8.0

Erik Hatcher-4
+1

1452 pages, that's a tome and a half!   The PDF looks great.    Incredible effort, Cassandra, yet again on this ref guide beast.

Erik

On May 31, 2019, at 10:24 AM, Cassandra Targett <[hidden email]> wrote:

Please vote to release the Solr Reference Guide for 8.0.

The PDF artifacts can be downloaded from:

$ cat apache-solr-ref-guide-8.0.pdf.sha512
c3d01089cb68fdbaa49dc94483a2643fba71ff9900840fbb1a6cc731f2116a9ce9994ab8b832429948f61c6caa7a52f1abfbc8c479c6958644076a8bf99a62f9  apache-solr-ref-guide-8.0.pdf

The online version is available at: https://lucene.apache.org/solr/guide/8_0/

Here's my +1.

Cassandra

PS - The 8.1 Guide will follow along hopefully by next week.

Re: VOTE: Apache Solr Reference Guide for Solr 8.0

Chris Hostetter-3

+1

: Date: Fri, 31 May 2019 09:24:23 -0500
: From: Cassandra Targett <[hidden email]>
: To: lucene dev <[hidden email]>
: Subject: VOTE: Apache Solr Reference Guide for Solr 8.0
:
: https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/lucene/solr/ref-guide/apache-solr-ref-guide-8.0-RC1/
:
: $ cat apache-solr-ref-guide-8.0.pdf.sha512
: c3d01089cb68fdbaa49dc94483a2643fba71ff9900840fbb1a6cc731f2116a9ce9994ab8b832429948f61c6caa7a52f1abfbc8c479c6958644076a8bf99a62f9
:  apache-solr-ref-guide-8.0.pdf
:
: The online version is available at:
: https://lucene.apache.org/solr/guide/8_0/
:
: Here's my +1.
:
: Cassandra
:
: PS - The 8.1 Guide will follow along hopefully by next week.
:

-Hoss
http://www.lucidworks.com/

Re: VOTE: Apache Solr Reference Guide for Solr 8.0

Jan Høydahl / Cominvent
Viewed on a smartphone :)

Comments:

Major changes section:

The Basic Authentication plugin now has an option forwardCredentials to prevent Basic Auth headers from being sent for inter-node requests.

This is wrong. Basic Auth never sent basicauth headers inter-node, and adding the “forwardcredentials” option lets user-originated requests be forwarded with original basicauth credentials instead of PKI.

Section 7.7 - Admin UI: “On clusters configured to use Kerberos Authentication, users will be directed to configure their browser to provide an appropriate Kerberos ticket.”

Is this correct? For Kerberos supported browsers will provide credentials directly and if unsupported browser or misconfigured krb then the UI will display an informative message telling the user to configure krb correctly. Right?

System requirements chapter:

I was sure that SOLR-12809 would make it to the 8.0 guide. If there is a re-spin, we should perhaps include it?

Else the parts I checked look fine.

Jan Høydahl

31. mai 2019 kl. 19:18 skrev Chris Hostetter <[hidden email]>:

+1

: Date: Fri, 31 May 2019 09:24:23 -0500
: From: Cassandra Targett <[hidden email]>
: To: lucene dev <[hidden email]>
:
[...]

Ah, guess this one is ok, I was reading “...will be redirected to...” but it says “directed” 🤔

Jan Høydahl

Anshum Gupta

Re: VOTE: Apache Solr Reference Guide for Solr 8.0

Jason Gerlowski
+1, Looks good to me.

On Mon, Jun 3, 2019 at 12:38 AM Anshum Gupta <[hidden email]> wrote:

> +1
>

> On Fri, May 31, 2019 at 7:24 AM Cassandra Targett <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Please vote to release the Solr Reference Guide for 8.0.
>>
>> The PDF artifacts can be downloaded from:
>> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/lucene/solr/ref-guide/apache-solr-ref-guide-8.0-RC1/
>>
>> $ cat apache-solr-ref-guide-8.0.pdf.sha512
>> c3d01089cb68fdbaa49dc94483a2643fba71ff9900840fbb1a6cc731f2116a9ce9994ab8b832429948f61c6caa7a52f1abfbc8c479c6958644076a8bf99a62f9  apache-solr-ref-guide-8.0.pdf
>>
>> The online version is available at: https://lucene.apache.org/solr/guide/8_0/
>>
>> Here's my +1.
>>
>> Cassandra
>>
>> PS - The 8.1 Guide will follow along hopefully by next week.
>

> --
> Anshum Gupta

Best regards,
Cao Mạnh Đạt

Re: VOTE: Apache Solr Reference Guide for Solr 8.0

Andrzej Białecki-2
+1.

I noticed a minor grammar issue in the stream-decorator-reference section on “daemon”, where it explains the “list” command: "along with there current state” should use “their”.

Anshum Gupta

Re: VOTE: Apache Solr Reference Guide for Solr 8.0

Jan Høydahl / Cominvent
Feel free as RM to release without these changes and fold into 8.1.
But here is a patch with re-phrasing of the two paragraphs I mentioned, as well as backport SOLR-12809, in case of a potential re-spin.

--
Jan Høydahl, search solution architect
Cominvent AS - www.cominvent.com

3. jun. 2019 kl. 14:54 skrev Cassandra Targett <[hidden email]>:

[...]

It took me a few days to get back to this - the week got away from me and I wanted to give Jan’s suggestions a decent review.

Thanks, Jan, for those changes. It looks like it’s really one sentence that’s misleadingly wrong. I hate releasing with known errors like that, but if you don’t think it’s that big of a problem, I’ll go ahead with the release and fold your changes into 8.1. Maybe this is a good use for that otherwise unused Errata page in the PDF.

Thanks everyone who voted, the VOTE has passed and I’ll get started releasing it.

Cassandra
On Jun 3, 2019, 6:16 PM -0500, Jan Høydahl <[hidden email]>, wrote:
[...]

david.w.smiley@gmail.com
Yeah, I totally appreciate your effort on the ref guide too Cassandra!

~ David Smiley
Apache Lucene/Solr Search Developer