[VOTE] Mahout as TLP

12

[VOTE] Mahout as TLP

Grant Ingersoll-2
Per the earlier discussions, I'm calling a vote to submit the following resolution [1] to the Lucene PMC for consideration to then promote Mahout to be a TLP.

[] +1  I'm for Mahout being a TLP and the resolution below.
[] 0 No opinion
[] -1 Bad idea.  Please give justification.

Majority wins (i.e. no vetos).  Vote will be open for 72 hours.

[1]
X. Establish the Apache Mahout Project

 open-source software related to a machine learning platform
 for distribution at no charge to the public.

 Committee (PMC), to be known as the "Apache Mahout Project",
 Foundation; and be it further

 RESOLVED, that the Apache Mahout Project be and hereby is
 related to a machine learning platform; and be it further

 RESOLVED, that the office of "Vice President, Apache Mahout" be
 and hereby is created, the person holding such office to
 serve at the direction of the Board of Directors as the chair
 of the Apache Mahout Project, and to have primary responsibility
 for management of the projects within the scope of
 responsibility of the Apache Mahout Project; and be it further

 Apache Mahout Project:

        • Abdelhakim Deneche <adeneche@...>
        • Isabel Drost (isabel@...)
        • Ted Dunning (tdunning@...)
        • Jeff Eastman (jeastman@...)
        • Drew Farris (drew@...)
        • Grant Ingersoll (gsingers@...)
      • Benson Margulies (bimargulies@...)
        • Sean Owen (srowen@...)
        • Robin Anil (robinanil@...)
        • Jake Mannix  (jmannix@...)

 RESOLVED, that the Apache Mahout Project be and hereby
 Lucene Mahout sub-project; and be it further

 Lucene Mahout sub-project encumbered upon the
 Apache Mahout Project are hereafter discharged.

NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, that Sean Owen
 be appointed to the office of Vice President, Apache Mahout, to
 serve in accordance with and subject to the direction of the
 death, resignation, retirement, removal or disqualification,
 or until a successor is appointed.

Re: [VOTE] Mahout as TLP

Grant Ingersoll-2
Here's my vote.

On Mar 19, 2010, at 10:50 AM, Grant Ingersoll wrote:

> Per the earlier discussions, I'm calling a vote to submit the following resolution [1] to the Lucene PMC for consideration to then promote Mahout to be a TLP.
>
> [x] +1  I'm for Mahout being a TLP and the resolution below.

Re: [VOTE] Mahout as TLP

Sean Owen

> [] +1  I'm for Mahout being a TLP and the resolution below.

Re: [VOTE] Mahout as TLP

Benson Margulies
My nonbinding vote is +1.

On Fri, Mar 19, 2010 at 10:50 AM, Grant Ingersoll <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Per the earlier discussions, I'm calling a vote to submit the following resolution [1] to the Lucene PMC for consideration to then promote Mahout to be a TLP.
>
> [] +1  I'm for Mahout being a TLP and the resolution below.
> [] 0 No opinion
> [] -1 Bad idea.  Please give justification.
>
> Majority wins (i.e. no vetos).  Vote will be open for 72 hours.
>

> [1]
> X. Establish the Apache Mahout Project
>
>  WHEREAS, the Board of Directors deems it to be in the best
>  interests of the Foundation and consistent with the
>  Foundation's purpose to establish a Project Management
>  Committee charged with the creation and maintenance of
>  open-source software related to a machine learning platform
>  for distribution at no charge to the public.
>
>  NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED, that a Project Management
>  Committee (PMC), to be known as the "Apache Mahout Project",
>  be and hereby is established pursuant to Bylaws of the
>  Foundation; and be it further
>
>  RESOLVED, that the Apache Mahout Project be and hereby is
>  responsible for the creation and maintenance of software
>  related to a machine learning platform; and be it further
>
>  RESOLVED, that the office of "Vice President, Apache Mahout" be
>  and hereby is created, the person holding such office to
>  serve at the direction of the Board of Directors as the chair
>  of the Apache Mahout Project, and to have primary responsibility
>  for management of the projects within the scope of
>  responsibility of the Apache Mahout Project; and be it further
>
>  RESOLVED, that the persons listed immediately below be and
>  hereby are appointed to serve as the initial members of the
>  Apache Mahout Project:
>
>        • Abdelhakim Deneche <adeneche@...>
>        • Isabel Drost (isabel@...)
>        • Ted Dunning (tdunning@...)
>        • Jeff Eastman (jeastman@...)
>        • Drew Farris (drew@...)
>        • Grant Ingersoll (gsingers@...)
>      • Benson Margulies (bimargulies@...)
>        • Sean Owen (srowen@...)
>        • Robin Anil (robinanil@...)
>        • Jake Mannix  (jmannix@...)
>
>  RESOLVED, that the Apache Mahout Project be and hereby
>  is tasked with the migration and rationalization of the Apache
>  Lucene Mahout sub-project; and be it further
>
>  RESOLVED, that all responsibilities pertaining to the Apache
>  Lucene Mahout sub-project encumbered upon the
>  Apache Mahout Project are hereafter discharged.
>
> NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, that Sean Owen
>  be appointed to the office of Vice President, Apache Mahout, to
>  serve in accordance with and subject to the direction of the
>  Board of Directors and the Bylaws of the Foundation until
>  death, resignation, retirement, removal or disqualification,
>  or until a successor is appointed.

Re: [VOTE] Mahout as TLP

Robin Anil
+1 Its about time :)

Re: [VOTE] Mahout as TLP

David Stuart
+1 nonbinding

On 19 Mar 2010, at 15:05, Benson Margulies wrote:

> My nonbinding vote is +1.
>

> On Fri, Mar 19, 2010 at 10:50 AM, Grant Ingersoll <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Per the earlier discussions, I'm calling a vote to submit the following resolution [1] to the Lucene PMC for consideration to then promote Mahout to be a TLP.
>>
>> [] +1  I'm for Mahout being a TLP and the resolution below.
>> [] 0 No opinion
>> [] -1 Bad idea.  Please give justification.
>>
>> Majority wins (i.e. no vetos).  Vote will be open for 72 hours.
>>

>> [1]
>> X. Establish the Apache Mahout Project
>>
>>  WHEREAS, the Board of Directors deems it to be in the best
>>  interests of the Foundation and consistent with the
>>  Foundation's purpose to establish a Project Management
>>  Committee charged with the creation and maintenance of
>>  open-source software related to a machine learning platform
>>  for distribution at no charge to the public.
>>
>>  NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED, that a Project Management
>>  Committee (PMC), to be known as the "Apache Mahout Project",
>>  be and hereby is established pursuant to Bylaws of the
>>  Foundation; and be it further
>>
>>  RESOLVED, that the Apache Mahout Project be and hereby is
>>  responsible for the creation and maintenance of software
>>  related to a machine learning platform; and be it further
>>
>>  RESOLVED, that the office of "Vice President, Apache Mahout" be
>>  and hereby is created, the person holding such office to
>>  serve at the direction of the Board of Directors as the chair
>>  of the Apache Mahout Project, and to have primary responsibility
>>  for management of the projects within the scope of
>>  responsibility of the Apache Mahout Project; and be it further
>>
>>  RESOLVED, that the persons listed immediately below be and
>>  hereby are appointed to serve as the initial members of the
>>  Apache Mahout Project:
>>
>>        • Abdelhakim Deneche <adeneche@...>
>>        • Isabel Drost (isabel@...)
>>        • Ted Dunning (tdunning@...)
>>        • Jeff Eastman (jeastman@...)
>>        • Drew Farris (drew@...)
>>        • Grant Ingersoll (gsingers@...)
>>      • Benson Margulies (bimargulies@...)
>>        • Sean Owen (srowen@...)
>>        • Robin Anil (robinanil@...)
>>        • Jake Mannix  (jmannix@...)
>>
>>  RESOLVED, that the Apache Mahout Project be and hereby
>>  is tasked with the migration and rationalization of the Apache
>>  Lucene Mahout sub-project; and be it further
>>
>>  RESOLVED, that all responsibilities pertaining to the Apache
>>  Lucene Mahout sub-project encumbered upon the
>>  Apache Mahout Project are hereafter discharged.
>>
>> NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, that Sean Owen
>>  be appointed to the office of Vice President, Apache Mahout, to
>>  serve in accordance with and subject to the direction of the
>>  Board of Directors and the Bylaws of the Foundation until
>>  death, resignation, retirement, removal or disqualification,
>>  or until a successor is appointed.

Re: [VOTE] Mahout as TLP

Jake Mannix
+1

  -jake

Re: [VOTE] Mahout as TLP

Grant Ingersoll-2
Note, this is really a committer vote to ask the Lucene PMC to discharge Mahout, so I'd consider all committer votes to be binding.

-Grant

On Mar 19, 2010, at 11:05 AM, Benson Margulies wrote:

> [...]
>>
>>  RESOLVED, that all responsibilities pertaining to the Apache
>>  Lucene Mahout sub-project encumbered upon the
>>  Apache Mahout Project are hereafter discharged.
>>
>> NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, that Sean Owen
>>  be appointed to the office of Vice President, Apache Mahout, to
>>  serve in accordance with and subject to the direction of the
>>  Board of Directors and the Bylaws of the Foundation until
>>  death, resignation, retirement, removal or disqualification,
>>  or until a successor is appointed.

Re: [VOTE] Mahout as TLP

Grant Ingersoll-2

On Mar 19, 2010, at 10:50 AM, Grant Ingersoll wrote:

> Per the earlier discussions, I'm calling a vote to submit the following resolution [1] to the Lucene PMC for consideration to then promote Mahout to be a TLP.
>
> [] +1  I'm for Mahout being a TLP and the resolution below.

Jeff Eastman also submitted a +1 in a prev. thread in absentia.

Re: [VOTE] Mahout as TLP

Benson Margulies
OK, I think that my medication state justifies discharge from the
facility. Call me binding.

On Fri, Mar 19, 2010 at 11:46 AM, Grant Ingersoll <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>>>        • Jeff Eastman (jeastman@...)
>>>        • Drew Farris (drew@...)
>>>        • Grant Ingersoll (gsingers@...)
>>>      • Benson Margulies (bimargulies@...)
>>>        • Sean Owen (srowen@...)
>>>        • Robin Anil (robinanil@...)
>>>        • Jake Mannix  (jmannix@...)
>>>
>>>  RESOLVED, that the Apache Mahout Project be and hereby
>>>  is tasked with the migration and rationalization of the Apache
>>>  Lucene Mahout sub-project; and be it further
>>>
>>>  RESOLVED, that all responsibilities pertaining to the Apache
>>>  Lucene Mahout sub-project encumbered upon the
>>>  Apache Mahout Project are hereafter discharged.
>>>
>>> NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, that Sean Owen
>>>  be appointed to the office of Vice President, Apache Mahout, to
>>>  serve in accordance with and subject to the direction of the
>>>  Board of Directors and the Bylaws of the Foundation until
>>>  death, resignation, retirement, removal or disqualification,

Drew Farris
[x] +1  I'm for Mahout being a TLP and the resolution below.

On Fri, Mar 19, 2010 at 10:50 AM, Grant Ingersoll <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [1]
> X. Establish the Apache Mahout Project
>
>  WHEREAS, the Board of Directors deems it to be in the best
>  interests of the Foundation and consistent with the
>  Foundation's purpose to establish a Project Management
>  Committee charged with the creation and maintenance of
>  open-source software related to a machine learning platform
>  for distribution at no charge to the public.
>
>  NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED, that a Project Management
>  Committee (PMC), to be known as the "Apache Mahout Project",
>  be and hereby is established pursuant to Bylaws of the
>  Foundation; and be it further
>
>  RESOLVED, that the Apache Mahout Project be and hereby is
>  responsible for the creation and maintenance of software
>  related to a machine learning platform; and be it further
>
>  RESOLVED, that the office of "Vice President, Apache Mahout" be
>  and hereby is created, the person holding such office to
>  serve at the direction of the Board of Directors as the chair
>  of the Apache Mahout Project, and to have primary responsibility
>  for management of the projects within the scope of
>  responsibility of the Apache Mahout Project; and be it further
>
>  RESOLVED, that the persons listed immediately below be and
>  hereby are appointed to serve as the initial members of the
>  Apache Mahout Project:
>
>        • Abdelhakim Deneche <adeneche@...>
>        • Isabel Drost (isabel@...)
>        • Ted Dunning (tdunning@...)
>        • Jeff Eastman (jeastman@...)
>        • Drew Farris (drew@...)
>        • Grant Ingersoll (gsingers@...)
>      • Benson Margulies (bimargulies@...)
>        • Sean Owen (srowen@...)
>        • Robin Anil (robinanil@...)
>        • Jake Mannix  (jmannix@...)
>
>  RESOLVED, that the Apache Mahout Project be and hereby
>  is tasked with the migration and rationalization of the Apache
>  Lucene Mahout sub-project; and be it further
>
>  RESOLVED, that all responsibilities pertaining to the Apache
>  Lucene Mahout sub-project encumbered upon the
>  Apache Mahout Project are hereafter discharged.
>
> NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, that Sean Owen
>  be appointed to the office of Vice President, Apache Mahout, to
>  serve in accordance with and subject to the direction of the
>  Board of Directors and the Bylaws of the Foundation until
>  death, resignation, retirement, removal or disqualification,
>  or until a successor is appointed.

Re: [VOTE] Mahout as TLP

deneche abdelhakim-3

On 3/19/10, Drew Farris <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [x] +1  I'm for Mahout being a TLP and the resolution below.
>
> On Fri, Mar 19, 2010 at 10:50 AM, Grant Ingersoll <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>

>> [1]
>> X. Establish the Apache Mahout Project
>>
>>  WHEREAS, the Board of Directors deems it to be in the best
>>  interests of the Foundation and consistent with the
>>  Foundation's purpose to establish a Project Management
>>  Committee charged with the creation and maintenance of
>>  open-source software related to a machine learning platform
>>  for distribution at no charge to the public.
>>
>>  NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED, that a Project Management
>>  Committee (PMC), to be known as the "Apache Mahout Project",
>>  be and hereby is established pursuant to Bylaws of the
>>  Foundation; and be it further
>>
>>  RESOLVED, that the Apache Mahout Project be and hereby is
>>  responsible for the creation and maintenance of software
>>  related to a machine learning platform; and be it further
>>
>>  RESOLVED, that the office of "Vice President, Apache Mahout" be
>>  and hereby is created, the person holding such office to
>>  serve at the direction of the Board of Directors as the chair
>>  of the Apache Mahout Project, and to have primary responsibility
>>  for management of the projects within the scope of
>>  responsibility of the Apache Mahout Project; and be it further
>>
>>  RESOLVED, that the persons listed immediately below be and
>>  hereby are appointed to serve as the initial members of the
>>  Apache Mahout Project:
>>
>>        • Abdelhakim Deneche <adeneche@...>
>>        • Isabel Drost (isabel@...)
>>        • Ted Dunning (tdunning@...)
>>        • Jeff Eastman (jeastman@...)
>>        • Drew Farris (drew@...)
>>        • Grant Ingersoll (gsingers@...)
>>      • Benson Margulies (bimargulies@...)
>>        • Sean Owen (srowen@...)
>>        • Robin Anil (robinanil@...)
>>        • Jake Mannix  (jmannix@...)
>>
>>  RESOLVED, that the Apache Mahout Project be and hereby
>>  is tasked with the migration and rationalization of the Apache
>>  Lucene Mahout sub-project; and be it further
>>
>>  RESOLVED, that all responsibilities pertaining to the Apache
>>  Lucene Mahout sub-project encumbered upon the
>>  Apache Mahout Project are hereafter discharged.
>>
>> NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, that Sean Owen
>>  be appointed to the office of Vice President, Apache Mahout, to
>>  serve in accordance with and subject to the direction of the
>>  Board of Directors and the Bylaws of the Foundation until
>>  death, resignation, retirement, removal or disqualification,
>>  or until a successor is appointed.

Re: [VOTE] Mahout as TLP

Ted Dunning
+1 as well.

On Fri, Mar 19, 2010 at 10:23 AM, deneche abdelhakim <[hidden email]>wrote:

> [x] +1  I'm for Mahout being a TLP and the resolution below.
>
> On 3/19/10, Drew Farris <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > [x] +1  I'm for Mahout being a TLP and the resolution below.
> >
> > On Fri, Mar 19, 2010 at 10:50 AM, Grant Ingersoll <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >

> >> [1]
> >> X. Establish the Apache Mahout Project
> >>
> >>  WHEREAS, the Board of Directors deems it to be in the best
> >>  interests of the Foundation and consistent with the
> >>  Foundation's purpose to establish a Project Management
> >>  Committee charged with the creation and maintenance of
> >>  open-source software related to a machine learning platform
> >>  for distribution at no charge to the public.
> >>
> >>  NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED, that a Project Management
> >>  Committee (PMC), to be known as the "Apache Mahout Project",
> >>  be and hereby is established pursuant to Bylaws of the
> >>  Foundation; and be it further
> >>
> >>  RESOLVED, that the Apache Mahout Project be and hereby is
> >>  responsible for the creation and maintenance of software
> >>  related to a machine learning platform; and be it further
> >>
> >>  RESOLVED, that the office of "Vice President, Apache Mahout" be
> >>  and hereby is created, the person holding such office to
> >>  serve at the direction of the Board of Directors as the chair
> >>  of the Apache Mahout Project, and to have primary responsibility
> >>  for management of the projects within the scope of
> >>  responsibility of the Apache Mahout Project; and be it further
> >>
> >>  RESOLVED, that the persons listed immediately below be and
> >>  hereby are appointed to serve as the initial members of the
> >>  Apache Mahout Project:
> >>
> >>        • Abdelhakim Deneche <adeneche@...>
> >>        • Isabel Drost (isabel@...)
> >>        • Ted Dunning (tdunning@...)
> >>        • Jeff Eastman (jeastman@...)
> >>        • Drew Farris (drew@...)
> >>        • Grant Ingersoll (gsingers@...)
> >>      • Benson Margulies (bimargulies@...)
> >>        • Sean Owen (srowen@...)
> >>        • Robin Anil (robinanil@...)
> >>        • Jake Mannix  (jmannix@...)
> >>
> >>  RESOLVED, that the Apache Mahout Project be and hereby
> >>  is tasked with the migration and rationalization of the Apache
> >>  Lucene Mahout sub-project; and be it further
> >>
> >>  RESOLVED, that all responsibilities pertaining to the Apache
> >>  Lucene Mahout sub-project encumbered upon the
> >>  Apache Mahout Project are hereafter discharged.
> >>
> >> NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, that Sean Owen
> >>  be appointed to the office of Vice President, Apache Mahout, to
> >>  serve in accordance with and subject to the direction of the
> >>  Board of Directors and the Bylaws of the Foundation until
> >>  death, resignation, retirement, removal or disqualification,
> >>  or until a successor is appointed.

Re: [VOTE] Mahout as TLP

Ted Dunning
We should probably keep this open long enough for Isabel to vote, but I
think that we already have a clear majority (and nearly consensus).

On Mar 19, 2010, at 2:07 PM, Ted Dunning wrote:

> We should probably keep this open long enough for Isabel to vote, but I
> think that we already have a clear majority (and nearly consensus).

Yep, it's a 72 hour vote, but all signs are positive.

> On Fri, Mar 19, 2010 at 11:06 AM, Ted Dunning <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> +1 as well.
>>

>> On Fri, Mar 19, 2010 at 10:23 AM, deneche abdelhakim <[hidden email]>wrote:
>>
>>> [x] +1  I'm for Mahout being a TLP and the resolution below.

--------------------------
Grant Ingersoll
http://www.lucidimagination.com/

Search the Lucene ecosystem using Solr/Lucene: http://www.lucidimagination.com/search

Re: [VOTE] Mahout as TLP

Karl Wettin

19 mar 2010 kl. 15.50 skrev Grant Ingersoll:

> Per the earlier discussions, I'm calling a vote to submit the
> following resolution [1] to the Lucene PMC for consideration to then
> promote Mahout to be a TLP.
>
> [] +1  I'm for Mahout being a TLP and the resolution below.
> [X] 0 No opinion
> [] -1 Bad idea.  Please give justification.

Too me an Apache TLP is one of the greatest thing to stamp on a
project. But I also think one should be very careful with the Apache
trademark. Many a mickle make a muckle, and all that. At the expense
of beeing the bad guy I have to say that is feels too premature make
Mahout to graduate to a TLP and I see more possible downsides than
upsides to the suggestion right now. Perhaps wait for a 1.0?

This is not me coming up with doregatory comments about Mahout, I'm
just very found of what Apache in genenral always ment to me.

I would actually vote -1 if I would have been more invovled.

        karl

> Majority wins (i.e. no vetos).  Vote will be open for 72 hours.
>

> [1]
> X. Establish the Apache Mahout Project

> interests of the Foundation and consistent with the
> Foundation's purpose to establish a Project Management
> Committee charged with the creation and maintenance of
> open-source software related to a machine learning platform
> for distribution at no charge to the public.
>
> NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED, that a Project Management
> Committee (PMC), to be known as the "Apache Mahout Project",
> be and hereby is established pursuant to Bylaws of the
> Foundation; and be it further
>
> RESOLVED, that the Apache Mahout Project be and hereby is
> responsible for the creation and maintenance of software
> related to a machine learning platform; and be it further
>
> RESOLVED, that the office of "Vice President, Apache Mahout" be
> and hereby is created, the person holding such office to
> serve at the direction of the Board of Directors as the chair
> of the Apache Mahout Project, and to have primary responsibility
> for management of the projects within the scope of
> responsibility of the Apache Mahout Project; and be it further
>
> RESOLVED, that the persons listed immediately below be and
> hereby are appointed to serve as the initial members of the
> Apache Mahout Project:
>
> • Abdelhakim Deneche <adeneche@...>
> • Isabel Drost (isabel@...)
> • Ted Dunning (tdunning@...)
> • Jeff Eastman (jeastman@...)
> • Drew Farris (drew@...)
> • Grant Ingersoll (gsingers@...)
>      • Benson Margulies (bimargulies@...)
> • Sean Owen (srowen@...)
> • Robin Anil (robinanil@...)
> • Jake Mannix  (jmannix@...)
>
> RESOLVED, that the Apache Mahout Project be and hereby
> is tasked with the migration and rationalization of the Apache
> Lucene Mahout sub-project; and be it further
>
> RESOLVED, that all responsibilities pertaining to the Apache
> Lucene Mahout sub-project encumbered upon the
> Apache Mahout Project are hereafter discharged.
>
> NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, that Sean Owen
> be appointed to the office of Vice President, Apache Mahout, to
> serve in accordance with and subject to the direction of the
> Board of Directors and the Bylaws of the Foundation until
> death, resignation, retirement, removal or disqualification,
> or until a successor is appointed.

Re: [VOTE] Mahout as TLP

Yonik Seeley-2
On Fri, Mar 19, 2010 at 4:17 PM, Karl Wettin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> 19 mar 2010 kl. 15.50 skrev Grant Ingersoll:
>
>> Per the earlier discussions, I'm calling a vote to submit the following
>> resolution [1] to the Lucene PMC for consideration to then promote Mahout to
>> be a TLP.
>>
>> [] +1  I'm for Mahout being a TLP and the resolution below.
>> [X] 0 No opinion
>> [] -1 Bad idea.  Please give justification.
>
> Too me an Apache TLP is one of the greatest thing to stamp on a project. But
> I also think one should be very careful with the Apache trademark. Many a
> mickle make a muckle, and all that. At the expense of beeing the bad guy I
> have to say that is feels too premature make Mahout to graduate to a TLP and
> I see more possible downsides than upsides to the suggestion right now.
> Perhaps wait for a 1.0?

Mahout seems to have a book in progress... not too shabby!
Although I haven't followed Mahout closely, I have followed (and been
through) the Apache Incubator.  A well functioning diverse community
that gets the "Apache Way" is the standard for graduation (along with
other paperwork such as taking care of IP issues).  As long as IP
issues are dealt with correctly, the quality or completeness of the
code is not an issue.

The other point is that the majority of users probably don't even pay
attention to internal organization... Mahout already uses the Apache
brand, and I'm not sure if most will even recognize the TLP
distinction.

Re: [VOTE] Mahout as TLP

Karl Wettin

19 mar 2010 kl. 21.48 skrev Yonik Seeley:

> On Fri, Mar 19, 2010 at 4:17 PM, Karl Wettin <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> Perhaps wait for a 1.0?
>
> Mahout seems to have a book in progress... not too shabby!

I hope I didn't seem to imply that Mahout is underdeveloped as I have
no such opinon. I do however say that Apache is an awesome brand and I
think it could be unnessecary graduate projects too early. But
appearently my view of what should be a TLP has been something much
bigger than what it is in reality and I hereby retract my objects.

Out of curiosity does anyone know in what state Hadoop was at
graduation?

      karl

Re: [VOTE] Mahout as TLP

Ted Dunning
Definitely not at 1.0 !  (it still isn't there)

I first came to hadoop just after 0.15 came out which must have been shortly
after it became a TLP.  The code worked, but was pretty wild and woolly if
you stepped into a dark corner.

I would say that hadoop had a much better defined mission than Mahout and
was generally a bit more well developed for normal use cases.  The developer
community for Hadoop was much larger, but much more concentrated in one
company.  I don't think that there is any company where more than one Mahout
committer (or even contributor) works.

> Out of curiosity does anyone know in what state Hadoop was at graduation?

Re: [VOTE] Mahout as TLP

IsabelDrost