VOTE: release 4.0 (RC2)

12

VOTE: release 4.0 (RC2)

Robert Muir
artifacts here: http://s.apache.org/lusolr40rc2

Thanks for the good inspection of rc#1 and finding bugs, which found
test bugs and other bugs!
I am happy this was all discovered and sorted out before release.

vote stays open until wednesday, the weekend is just extra time for
evaluating the RC.

RE: VOTE: release 4.0 (RC2)

Uwe Schindler
Hi,

+1 to release this time!

- I ran smoketester on Linux (JDKs: 1.6.0_33, 1.7.0_07, server, 64bit), passed!
- I used the PANGAEA index (version 3.6.1, copied from our production system), ran checkindex on it (both JDKs) passed. Index size and deletions were reported correctly this time. I also checked an force-merged PANGAEA index, passed also.
- I used IndexUpgrader to upgrade both 3.6.1 indexes, passed.
- I checked the output of IndexUpgrader again with CheckIndex, the output for the force-merged 3.6.1 index was identical to the migrated 4.0 index (number of terms,....)
- I compared the index sizes of the single-segment 3.6.1 and 4.0.0 indexes: 4.0 was slightly larger. You have to know that this index contains thousands of fields (it allows to search in XML based on XQuery-like, so we have a field for every possible xpath of our rather complex XML schema in the index). The search speed improved dramatically (because of the separate term dictionaries for every field). In addition, so the bigger size is also caused by splitting fields to separate term dictionaries vs. one in 3.6. 4.0 also has more statistics. I think an index with 10 fields may be smaller, will try this a little bit later with another index
- I used the demo module to run some text-only queries, they passed.

On small thing: We mention (in lucene's package), that Java 6 is needed, so we should at least mention that in the release notes. We should improve our docs/index.(html|xsl) to mention system requirements. Same for Solr. We have a system requirements page on the website, but that is unversioned, so we should also add a section for 4.0 there. But this is not the way to go. We should also mention that Java 7 is the preferred Java version, if you have 1.7.0_01 at least.

Uwe

-----
Uwe Schindler
H.-H.-Meier-Allee 63, D-28213 Bremen
http://www.thetaphi.de
> Thanks for the good inspection of rc#1 and finding bugs, which found test bugs
> and other bugs!
> I am happy this was all discovered and sorted out before release.
>
> vote stays open until wednesday, the weekend is just extra time for evaluating
> the RC.

RE: VOTE: release 4.0 (RC2)

Uwe Schindler
I mean: "we don't mention system requirements correctly" - sorry

-----
Uwe Schindler
H.-H.-Meier-Allee 63, D-28213 Bremen
http://www.thetaphi.de
> - I ran smoketester on Linux (JDKs: 1.6.0_33, 1.7.0_07, server, 64bit), passed!
> - I used the PANGAEA index (version 3.6.1, copied from our production system),
> ran checkindex on it (both JDKs) passed. Index size and deletions were reported
> correctly this time. I also checked an force-merged PANGAEA index, passed
> also.
> - I used IndexUpgrader to upgrade both 3.6.1 indexes, passed.
> - I checked the output of IndexUpgrader again with CheckIndex, the output for
> the force-merged 3.6.1 index was identical to the migrated 4.0 index (number
> of terms,....)
> - I compared the index sizes of the single-segment 3.6.1 and 4.0.0 indexes: 4.0
> was slightly larger. You have to know that this index contains thousands of
> fields (it allows to search in XML based on XQuery-like, so we have a field for
> every possible xpath of our rather complex XML schema in the index). The
> search speed improved dramatically (because of the separate term dictionaries
> for every field). In addition, so the bigger size is also caused by splitting fields to
> separate term dictionaries vs. one in 3.6. 4.0 also has more statistics. I think an
> index with 10 fields may be smaller, will try this a little bit later with another
> - I used the demo module to run some text-only queries, they passed.
>
> On small thing: We mention (in lucene's package), that Java 6 is needed, so we
> should at least mention that in the release notes. We should improve our
> docs/index.(html|xsl) to mention system requirements. Same for Solr. We have
> a system requirements page on the website, but that is unversioned, so we
> should also add a section for 4.0 there. But this is not the way to go. We should
> also mention that Java 7 is the preferred Java version, if you have 1.7.0_01 at
> least.
>
> Uwe
>
> -----
> Uwe Schindler
> H.-H.-Meier-Allee 63, D-28213 Bremen
> http://www.thetaphi.de

Re: VOTE: release 4.0 (RC2)

Michael McCandless-2
+1

Smoke tester is happy in my env (Ubuntu 12.04, Javas 1.6.0_32 / 1.7.0_04).

Mike McCandless

http://blog.mikemccandless.com

On Sat, Oct 6, 2012 at 4:10 AM, Robert Muir <[hidden email]> wrote:

> artifacts here: http://s.apache.org/lusolr40rc2
>
> Thanks for the good inspection of rc#1 and finding bugs, which found
> test bugs and other bugs!
> I am happy this was all discovered and sorted out before release.
>
> vote stays open until wednesday, the weekend is just extra time for
> evaluating the RC.

Re: VOTE: release 4.0 (RC2)

Tommaso Teofili
+1 smoke tests are ok.

Tommaso

2012/10/6 Michael McCandless <[hidden email]>
+1

Smoke tester is happy in my env (Ubuntu 12.04, Javas 1.6.0_32 / 1.7.0_04).

Mike McCandless

http://blog.mikemccandless.com

On Sat, Oct 6, 2012 at 4:10 AM, Robert Muir <[hidden email]> wrote:
> artifacts here: http://s.apache.org/lusolr40rc2
>
> Thanks for the good inspection of rc#1 and finding bugs, which found
> test bugs and other bugs!
> I am happy this was all discovered and sorted out before release.
>
> vote stays open until wednesday, the weekend is just extra time for
> evaluating the RC.

RE: VOTE: release 4.0 (RC2)

steve_rowe
+1

The smoke tester succeeded for me on Win7+Cygwin and on OS X 10.8.2, using Oracle Java 1.6.0_35 and 1.7.0_07 on both OSs.

Steve

Re: VOTE: release 4.0 (RC2)

Jack Krupansky-2
Success for smoke tester on my Windows 7 Cygwin machine. with Java 1.6.0_29.

-- Jack Krupansky

Re: VOTE: release 4.0 (RC2)

Adrien Grand
Smoke tests passed on my computer.

--
Adrien

Re: VOTE: release 4.0 (RC2)

Simon Willnauer-4
+1 everything is smooth

On Mon, Oct 8, 2012 at 12:43 PM, Adrien Grand <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Smoke tests passed on my computer.
>
> --
> Adrien

Re: VOTE: release 4.0 (RC2)

Jan Høydahl / Cominvent
+1

Smoke test passes on OSX 10.8.2. Believe all show stoppers are fixed now

--
Jan Høydahl, search solution architect
Cominvent AS - www.cominvent.com

6. okt. 2012 kl. 10:10 skrev Robert Muir <[hidden email]>:

> artifacts here: http://s.apache.org/lusolr40rc2
>
> Thanks for the good inspection of rc#1 and finding bugs, which found
> test bugs and other bugs!
> I am happy this was all discovered and sorted out before release.
>
> vote stays open until wednesday, the weekend is just extra time for
> evaluating the RC.

Re: VOTE: release 4.0 (RC2)

Chris Hostetter-3

: artifacts here: http://s.apache.org/lusolr40rc2

+1.

for the record, these are the SHA1 sigs for the files i tested...

hossman@frisbee:~/tmp/4.0-final-rc/rc2$ cat *.sha1
bf7a1332767909f139217d11413a82abfe938cc9 *apache-solr-4.0.0-src.tgz
0cb61d9572516fc627785201b79b3a85e95f877d *apache-solr-4.0.0.tgz
ae10d68eadbe30a2bb82a77277863d0d42d86af4 *apache-solr-4.0.0.zip
8ab307df987e375df06b7f6e1f65e85b1cda3f8d *lucene-4.0.0-src.tgz
263ef95eb1f8856c76ff22a0dad37a8705aa7db4 *lucene-4.0.0.tgz
ed0ca3c1a5b4a6ec67b1fb5517696cbba4483823 *lucene-4.0.0.zip

RE: VOTE: release 4.0 (RC2)

Fuad Efendi
Why can't we upgrade HttpComponents to v.4.2.1 with better multithreading
support? For SolrJ... 4.0 is major release indeed...

Fuad Efendi

Re: VOTE: release 4.0 (RC2)

Otis Gospodnetić
I'm going to guess because nobody put it in JIRA and provided a patch.

Otis

On Mon, Oct 8, 2012 at 9:42 PM, Fuad Efendi <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Why can't we upgrade HttpComponents to v.4.2.1 with better multithreading
> support? For SolrJ... 4.0 is major release indeed...
>
> Fuad Efendi

Re: VOTE: release 4.0 (RC2)

Mark Miller-3
+1

- Mark

On 10/06/2012 04:10 AM, Robert Muir wrote:

> artifacts here: http://s.apache.org/lusolr40rc2
>
> Thanks for the good inspection of rc#1 and finding bugs, which found
> test bugs and other bugs!
> I am happy this was all discovered and sorted out before release.
>
> vote stays open until wednesday, the weekend is just extra time for
> evaluating the RC.

Re: VOTE: release 4.0 (RC2)

Yonik Seeley-4
+1

-Yonik
http://lucidworks.com

On Sat, Oct 6, 2012 at 4:10 AM, Robert Muir <[hidden email]> wrote:

> artifacts here: http://s.apache.org/lusolr40rc2
>
> Thanks for the good inspection of rc#1 and finding bugs, which found
> test bugs and other bugs!
> I am happy this was all discovered and sorted out before release.
>
> vote stays open until wednesday, the weekend is just extra time for
> evaluating the RC.

Re: VOTE: release 4.0 (RC2)

Martijn v Groningen-2
+1

On 10 October 2012 05:23, Yonik Seeley <[hidden email]> wrote:

> +1
>
> -Yonik
> http://lucidworks.com
>

> On Sat, Oct 6, 2012 at 4:10 AM, Robert Muir <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> artifacts here: http://s.apache.org/lusolr40rc2
>>
>> Thanks for the good inspection of rc#1 and finding bugs, which found
>> test bugs and other bugs!
>> I am happy this was all discovered and sorted out before release.
>>
>> vote stays open until wednesday, the weekend is just extra time for
>> evaluating the RC.

Met vriendelijke groet,

Martijn van Groningen

Re: VOTE: release 4.0 (RC2)

Michael Busch
+1

smoketest succeeded on macos 10.7.4.

  Michael

On 10/6/12 1:10 AM, Robert Muir wrote:

> artifacts here: http://s.apache.org/lusolr40rc2
>
> Thanks for the good inspection of rc#1 and finding bugs, which found
> test bugs and other bugs!
> I am happy this was all discovered and sorted out before release.
>
> vote stays open until wednesday, the weekend is just extra time for
> evaluating the RC.

Re: VOTE: release 4.0 (RC2)

Simon Willnauer-4
if buschmi votes we are good :D

simon

On Wed, Oct 10, 2012 at 9:30 PM, Michael Busch <[hidden email]> wrote:

> +1
>
> smoketest succeeded on macos 10.7.4.
>
>  Michael
>

> On 10/6/12 1:10 AM, Robert Muir wrote:
>>
>> artifacts here: http://s.apache.org/lusolr40rc2
>>
>> Thanks for the good inspection of rc#1 and finding bugs, which found
>> test bugs and other bugs!
>> I am happy this was all discovered and sorted out before release.
>>
>> vote stays open until wednesday, the weekend is just extra time for
>> evaluating the RC.

Re: VOTE: release 4.0 (RC2)

Robert Muir
vote passes. thanks everyone.

On Sat, Oct 6, 2012 at 4:10 AM, Robert Muir <[hidden email]> wrote:
> artifacts here: http://s.apache.org/lusolr40rc2
>
> Thanks for the good inspection of rc#1 and finding bugs, which found
> test bugs and other bugs!
> I am happy this was all discovered and sorted out before release.
>
> vote stays open until wednesday, the weekend is just extra time for
> evaluating the RC.

Re: VOTE: release 4.0 (RC2)

Erick Erickson
And thank you for all your hard work making this possible!

On Thu, Oct 11, 2012 at 3:55 AM, Robert Muir <[hidden email]> wrote:

> vote passes. thanks everyone.
>
> On Sat, Oct 6, 2012 at 4:10 AM, Robert Muir <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> artifacts here: http://s.apache.org/lusolr40rc2
>>
>> Thanks for the good inspection of rc#1 and finding bugs, which found
>> test bugs and other bugs!
>> I am happy this was all discovered and sorted out before release.
>>
>> vote stays open until wednesday, the weekend is just extra time for
>> evaluating the RC.

12