VOTE: release 4.0 (take two)

12

VOTE: release 4.0 (take two)

Robert Muir
artifacts are here: http://s.apache.org/lusolr40rc1

By the way, thanks for all the help improving smoketesting and
packaging and so on. This will pay off in the future!

Re: VOTE: release 4.0 (take two)

Michael McCandless-2
+1, smoke tester is happy on my [Linux] env.

Mike McCandless

http://blog.mikemccandless.com

On Thu, Sep 27, 2012 at 3:15 PM, Robert Muir <[hidden email]> wrote:
> artifacts are here: http://s.apache.org/lusolr40rc1
>
> By the way, thanks for all the help improving smoketesting and
> packaging and so on. This will pay off in the future!

Re: VOTE: release 4.0 (take two)

Martijn v Groningen-2
+1 smoke tester is also happy on my machine.

Martijn

On 27 September 2012 21:16, Michael McCandless
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> +1, smoke tester is happy on my [Linux] env.
>
> Mike McCandless
>
> http://blog.mikemccandless.com
>
> On Thu, Sep 27, 2012 at 3:15 PM, Robert Muir <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> artifacts are here: http://s.apache.org/lusolr40rc1
>>
>> By the way, thanks for all the help improving smoketesting and
>> packaging and so on. This will pay off in the future!

RE: VOTE: release 4.0 (take two)

steve_rowe
+1: smoker admitted SUCCESS! on Win7+Cygwin

By the way, thanks for all the help improving smoketesting and
packaging and so on. This will pay off in the future!

Re: VOTE: release 4.0 (take two)

Tommaso Teofili
Smoke test succeeded on MacOSX 10.7, plus tested in various running projects and everything seems fine.
one thing I noticed is :
"no package description (missing package.html in src?)"
for most of the Solr source code therefore we should add those package(-info).html for the javadoc.
However I don't think it's a blocker so +1.
Regards,
Tommaso

2012/9/27 Robert Muir <[hidden email]>
artifacts are here: http://s.apache.org/lusolr40rc1

By the way, thanks for all the help improving smoketesting and
packaging and so on. This will pay off in the future!

Re: release 4.0 (take two)

Jack Krupansky-2
The smoke tester even finally conceded "SUCCESS!" for me on Windows 7 with
Cygwin. (Only ran for two and a half hours!)

-- Jack Krupansky

+1: smoker admitted SUCCESS! on Win7+Cygwin

By the way, thanks for all the help improving smoketesting and
packaging and so on. This will pay off in the future!

Re: VOTE: release 4.0 (take two)

Simon Willnauer-4
+1 smoketested + tested in 4.0 apps. Looks good to me!

simon

On Fri, Sep 28, 2012 at 12:01 AM, Tommaso Teofili
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Smoke test succeeded on MacOSX 10.7, plus tested in various running projects
> and everything seems fine.
> one thing I noticed is :
> "no package description (missing package.html in src?)"
> for most of the Solr source code therefore we should add those
> package(-info).html for the javadoc.
> However I don't think it's a blocker so +1.
> Regards,
> Tommaso
>

> 2012/9/27 Robert Muir <[hidden email]>
>>
>> artifacts are here: http://s.apache.org/lusolr40rc1
>>
>> By the way, thanks for all the help improving smoketesting and
>> packaging and so on. This will pay off in the future!

Re: VOTE: release 4.0 (take two)

Adrien Grand
Smoke test passed successfully on my computer (Ubuntu 12.04.1 , locale=fr_FR).

Good that lucene-core JAR now is 2.0 MB (vs. 2.3 in 4.0-BETA).

--
Adrien

Re: VOTE: release 4.0 (take two)

Shalin Shekhar Mangar
+1

Tested on Ubuntu 12.01 i386, Java 1.7

On Fri, Sep 28, 2012 at 12:45 AM, Robert Muir <[hidden email]> wrote:
artifacts are here: http://s.apache.org/lusolr40rc1

By the way, thanks for all the help improving smoketesting and
packaging and so on. This will pay off in the future!

Shalin Shekhar Mangar.

Re: VOTE: release 4.0 (take two)

Chris Male
+1

On Fri, Sep 28, 2012 at 7:15 AM, Robert Muir <[hidden email]> wrote:
artifacts are here: http://s.apache.org/lusolr40rc1

By the way, thanks for all the help improving smoketesting and
packaging and so on. This will pay off in the future!

Chris Male | Open Source Search Developer | elasticsearch | www.elasticsearch.com

Re: VOTE: release 4.0 (take two)

Christian Moen
I'm continuously indexing Japanese Wikipedia while introducing a constant query load of approx. 200 queries per second using unique Japanese terms with highlighting turned on. I'm running Mac OS X 10.8.2 and Java 1.6.0_35.  Things are looking good.

+1

Thanks again for being release manager, Robert!

Best,

Christian
http://atilika.com

On Fri, Sep 28, 2012 at 7:15 AM, Christian Moen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks again for being release manager, Robert!

+1

Mike McCandless

http://blog.mikemccandless.com

Re: VOTE: release 4.0 (take two)

Mark Miller-3
Smoke test passes on my machine, I've been doing other checks and
verification, and I'm happy with the results.

+1

- Mark

On 09/27/2012 03:15 PM, Robert Muir wrote:
> artifacts are here: http://s.apache.org/lusolr40rc1
>
> By the way, thanks for all the help improving smoketesting and
> packaging and so on. This will pay off in the future!

Re: VOTE: release 4.0 (take two)

Chris Hostetter-3

: artifacts are here: http://s.apache.org/lusolr40rc1

VOTE: +1 for the following artifacts (sha1)...

378a1077b9b8806e8a972e8b56722696c07c1078 *apache-solr-4.0.0-src.tgz
787c41de747053bd22dfbb24ebbd1a6184038eef *apache-solr-4.0.0.tgz
5c7d5143dbe02b430a5dd0243385f55b928f1f40 *apache-solr-4.0.0.zip
e12d373a1bc965f4045e4d87d4ab4cf64313653b *lucene-4.0.0-src.tgz
0e200f8ef943d3238c9759ca96ca3fbe97398407 *lucene-4.0.0.tgz
c00131a926cfad1e3e9654f326cf78199bf9eea7 *lucene-4.0.0.zip

Re: VOTE: release 4.0 (take two)

Robert Muir
NOTE: vote stays open until Tuesday (since it was over a weekend).

On Thu, Sep 27, 2012 at 3:15 PM, Robert Muir <[hidden email]> wrote:
> artifacts are here: http://s.apache.org/lusolr40rc1
>
> By the way, thanks for all the help improving smoketesting and
> packaging and so on. This will pay off in the future!

RE: VOTE: release 4.0 (take two)

Uwe Schindler

-1 to release those artifacts!

First the good thing: I ran smoketester on an Ubuntu 12.04.1 Server with 2 older Opteron CPUs (NUMA), passed perfectly (1.6.0_33 and 1.7.0_07). I also inspected the artifacts and had a look at JavaDocs. I found some typos in READMEs, but all not very problematic. I had no real Lucene 4.0 Application ready to test with (I am still in process to upgrade PANGAEA), but so far so good.

But I found a serious bug when comparing the output of checkindex on the same index in 4.0 and 3.6.1 (used a 7 GiB PANGAEA index): https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENE-4455; The deletions are reported negative (segment with no deletions is reported to have them) and the size of the segments is doubled, causing MergePolicy to behave wrong (depending on settings).

In any case: Many thanks to Robert for making the release - if we must respin, depends on you!

Uwe

-----
Uwe Schindler
H.-H.-Meier-Allee 63, D-28213 Bremen
http://www.thetaphi.de
> By the way, thanks for all the help improving smoketesting and packaging and
> so on. This will pay off in the future!

Re: VOTE: release 4.0 (take two)

Robert Muir
Lets fix this stuff. I don't like this sizeInBytes double-counting!

On Mon, Oct 1, 2012 at 1:05 PM, Uwe Schindler <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> -1 to release those artifacts!
>
> First the good thing: I ran smoketester on an Ubuntu 12.04.1 Server with 2 older Opteron CPUs (NUMA), passed perfectly (1.6.0_33 and 1.7.0_07). I also inspected the artifacts and had a look at JavaDocs. I found some typos in READMEs, but all not very problematic. I had no real Lucene 4.0 Application ready to test with (I am still in process to upgrade PANGAEA), but so far so good.
>
> But I found a serious bug when comparing the output of checkindex on the same index in 4.0 and 3.6.1 (used a 7 GiB PANGAEA index): https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENE-4455; The deletions are reported negative (segment with no deletions is reported to have them) and the size of the segments is doubled, causing MergePolicy to behave wrong (depending on settings).
>
> In any case: Many thanks to Robert for making the release - if we must respin, depends on you!
>
> Uwe
>
> -----
> Uwe Schindler
> H.-H.-Meier-Allee 63, D-28213 Bremen
> http://www.thetaphi.de

David Smiley
Does this mean a re-spin?

I have a low-risk but high impact (in terms of features) bug-fix I would like to get in to 4.0:  https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENE-4444 but I did not want to put the breaks on any release that was being voted on.

~ David

Re: VOTE: release 4.0 (take two)

Robert Muir
Patch looks fine: though it should have a CHANGES entry (since it was
introduced after the beta release from what I can tell)

The only other things i see listed as bugs are
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-3637 and

If these things are safe and useful to fix in 4.0 (the three patches
look safe to me), then do it asap (but of course run the proper
tests).

Thanks

On Mon, Oct 1, 2012 at 1:46 PM, David Smiley (@MITRE.org)
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Does this mean a re-spin?
>
> I have a low-risk but high impact (in terms of features) bug-fix I would
> like to get in to 4.0:  https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENE-4444
> but I did not want to put the breaks on any release that was being voted on.
>
> ~ David
>

> -----
>  Author: http://www.packtpub.com/apache-solr-3-enterprise-search-server/book

Re: VOTE: release 4.0 (take two)

Robert Muir
Sorry, i had this backwards: if it makes 4.0 it needs no CHANGES entry :)

If it doesnt, then it should have one for 4.1

On Mon, Oct 1, 2012 at 1:50 PM, Robert Muir <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Patch looks fine: though it should have a CHANGES entry (since it was
> introduced after the beta release from what I can tell)
>
> The only other things i see listed as bugs are
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-3637 and
>
> If these things are safe and useful to fix in 4.0 (the three patches
> look safe to me), then do it asap (but of course run the proper
> tests).
>
> Thanks
>
> On Mon, Oct 1, 2012 at 1:46 PM, David Smiley (@MITRE.org)
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Does this mean a re-spin?
>>
>> I have a low-risk but high impact (in terms of features) bug-fix I would
>> like to get in to 4.0:  https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENE-4444
>> but I did not want to put the breaks on any release that was being voted on.
>>
>> ~ David
>>

>> -----
>>  Author: http://www.packtpub.com/apache-solr-3-enterprise-search-server/book
>> --