Welcome Michael McCandless as committer!

Welcome Michael McCandless as committer!

Yonik Seeley-2
I'm pleased to announce that the Lucene PMC has voted to make Michael
McCandless a committer on the Lucene Java project.  Mike has
contributed some outstanding patches, and has been a pleasure to work
with.

Congrats, Mike!

Re: Welcome Michael McCandless as committer!

Michael McCandless-2
Yonik Seeley wrote:
> I'm pleased to announce that the Lucene PMC has voted to make Michael
> McCandless a committer on the Lucene Java project.  Mike has
> contributed some outstanding patches, and has been a pleasure to work
> with.
>
> Congrats, Mike!

Thank you Yonik!

I like the tradition of newbie committers (= me!) doing a quick
introduction, so here goes:

I am one of the founders of iPhrase, which was a startup in the
Boston, MA (USA) area, providing enterprise search software.  We built
our own text/relational search engine (C + Python) with a strong
emphasis on rich user experience / UI.  We provided a lot of tunable
functionality like NLP meaning resolution, runtime business rules
engine, faceted/guided search, entitlements,
document/field/synonym/term weighting, etc.  Then, about a year ago,
iPhrase was acquired by IBM, which is where I am today!

Before iPhrase, I was at MIT where I got my BS + MS + PhD (took a
looong time).  I worked in the Spoken Langauge Systems group, which
creates neat systems that understand speech and speak back in an
interactive dialogue.

I'm very happy to be part of this team!

I think the world of search is still very much in its infancy.  Most
times when I do searches online it's really not a great experience.
And I think Lucene will play a big part in changing that!

Mike

Re: Welcome Michael McCandless as committer!

Otis Gospodnetic-2
Over on Solr list we just got Bertrand as a new commiter, and he started of with a little introduction of himself.  I thought that was a good idea.  Feel like sharing, Michael?  I'm curious. :)

Otis

Otis Gospodnetic wrote:
> Over on Solr list we just got Bertrand as a new commiter, and he started of with a little introduction of himself.  I thought that was a good idea.  Feel like sharing, Michael?  I'm curious. :)

Indeed I saw his response and I agree this is a great tradition and so I
already just sent my intro!  Except, there seems to be some delay
somewhere...

Mike