WildcardQuery question

Evert Wagenaar
Hello all,

I have a WebApp (see http://ejwagenaar.com/index.php/Lingoweb/) which makes
extensive use of wildcardquery. I want to enable the first character(s)
too. How can I enable this?

Many thanks,

Evert Wagenaar
Sent from Gmail IPad

Re: WildcardQuery question

Erick Erickson
Take a look at ReverseWilcardFilterFactory:

https://lucene.apache.org/solr/guide/6_6/filter-descriptions.html

Best,
Erick

On Mon, Jul 23, 2018 at 7:53 AM, Evert Wagenaar
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I have a WebApp (see http://ejwagenaar.com/index.php/Lingoweb/) which makes
> extensive use of wildcardquery. I want to enable the first character(s)
> too. How can I enable this?
>
> Many thanks,
>
> Evert Wagenaar
> --
> Sent from Gmail IPad

Re: WildcardQuery question

Evert Wagenaar
Thanks Eric,

I see only Solr documents in there. My solution is 100% Lucene.

Regards,

Evert

On Mon, Jul 23, 2018 at 7:56 PM Erick Erickson <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Take a look at ReverseWilcardFilterFactory:
>
> https://lucene.apache.org/solr/guide/6_6/filter-descriptions.html
>
> Best,
> Erick
>
> On Mon, Jul 23, 2018 at 7:53 AM, Evert Wagenaar
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hello all,
> >
> > I have a WebApp (see http://ejwagenaar.com/index.php/Lingoweb/) which
> makes
> > extensive use of wildcardquery. I want to enable the first character(s)
> > too. How can I enable this?
> >
> > Many thanks,
> >
> > Evert Wagenaar
> > --
> > Sent from Gmail IPad

Sent from Gmail IPad

Re: WildcardQuery question

Erick Erickson
This just implements ReversedWildcardFilter, which while also in Solr
should be readily adaptable to lucene-only.

In general you want to do some trick like this. Otherwise it doesn't
scale well as conceptually Lucene has to enumerate
_all_ the terms to assemble the actual list of contained terms. I.e.
say you are searching for

*what

There's no way to know what terms match unless you look at them all,
which doesn't scale when the number of terms
gets huge.

You might be able to do something with ngrams too.

Best,
Erick

On Mon, Jul 23, 2018 at 12:07 PM, Evert Wagenaar
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks Eric,
>
> I see only Solr documents in there. My solution is 100% Lucene.
>
> Regards,
>
> Evert
>
> On Mon, Jul 23, 2018 at 7:56 PM Erick Erickson <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> Take a look at ReverseWilcardFilterFactory:
>>
>> https://lucene.apache.org/solr/guide/6_6/filter-descriptions.html
>>
>> Best,
>> Erick
>>
>> On Mon, Jul 23, 2018 at 7:53 AM, Evert Wagenaar
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > Hello all,
>> >
>> > I have a WebApp (see http://ejwagenaar.com/index.php/Lingoweb/) which
>> makes
>> > extensive use of wildcardquery. I want to enable the first character(s)
>> > too. How can I enable this?
>> >
>> > Many thanks,
>> >
>> > Evert Wagenaar
>> > --
>> > Sent from Gmail IPad

Re: WildcardQuery question

Evert Wagenaar
Thanks Eric,

To get the terms I use

parser.setMultiTermRewriteMethod(MultiTermQuery.
CONSTANT_SCORE_BOOLEAN_REWRITE);
So I'm rewriting the Query. I already passed the MaxClauseCont which I
could solve by setting.
I already did raise the MaxClauseCount to 4000 to avoid errors.

 Thanks,

Evert