apachecon

steven_parkes
So it looks like there's only a little Lucene-oriented stuff on the
program at ApacheCon 2006. The Solr talk looks interesting.

I was wondering if there have been any other self/semi-organized things
around Lucene in the past, like a BOF?

Solr Cache

Mark Miller-3
It looks like Solr does not use a simple cached queryfilter as a query
cache. Why is this? Is a cache queryfilter not efficient enough? Is this
alternate method just so you can easily load the cache from an old
Searcher to a new Searcher? Any info appreciated.

- Mark

Re: apachecon

Chris Hostetter-3

: program at ApacheCon 2006. The Solr talk looks interesting.

Why thank you :)

: I was wondering if there have been any other self/semi-organized things
: around Lucene in the past, like a BOF?

This will be my first ApacheCon, so i can't speak to what's happened in
the past -- but I'm certainly up for putting some faces to some names.

Re: Solr Cache

Chris Hostetter-3

: It looks like Solr does not use a simple cached queryfilter as a query
: cache. Why is this? Is a cache queryfilter not efficient enough? Is this
: alternate method just so you can easily load the cache from an old
: Searcher to a new Searcher? Any info appreciated.

This would probably be better addressed on the solr-user mailing list --
please post any followup question there.

I'll through out some high level answers though in case any one else is
interested...

 * there's nothign to stop a solr request handler from using
   QueryFilter's if they want (i have and do)
 * Solr has several types of caches for different things
 * the "filterCache" has the most direct conceptual mapping to how a
   QueryFilter and CachedWrapperFilter work.  The big benefits it has are:
    - the DocSet API allows for more memory efficient representations of
      small sets of documents then just a BitSet
    - it can be configured with a size and replacement strategy
      (CachedWrapperFilter is more for things that can live "forever"
      relative the IndexReader)

Re: Solr Cache

Mark Miller-3
Thanks Hoss. I apologize for being  slightly off topic.  Instead of
using  Solr, I am trying to steal from it, and so Lucene was still
mostly what was on my mind :) I posted too soon as well because I
finally found the wiki page on caching at Solr's site.

I have just implemented the "warm a new searcher" trick in my Lucene
app, and I am now looking into the best way to add caching--if caching
turns out to be beneficial to the app I am making. Of course I might
just drop all of this and use Solr, but it seems to be a nice learning
experience to go through all of this using just Lucene. Thanks for the
high level answers though...exactly what I was looking for.

- Mark

> : It looks like Solr does not use a simple cached queryfilter as a query
> : cache. Why is this? Is a cache queryfilter not efficient enough? Is this
> : alternate method just so you can easily load the cache from an old
> : Searcher to a new Searcher? Any info appreciated.
>
> This would probably be better addressed on the solr-user mailing list --
> please post any followup question there.
>
> I'll through out some high level answers though in case any one else is
> interested...
>
>  * there's nothign to stop a solr request handler from using
>    QueryFilter's if they want (i have and do)
>  * Solr has several types of caches for different things
>  * the "filterCache" has the most direct conceptual mapping to how a
>    QueryFilter and CachedWrapperFilter work.  The big benefits it has are:
>     - the DocSet API allows for more memory efficient representations of
>       small sets of documents then just a BitSet
>     - it can be configured with a size and replacement strategy
>       (CachedWrapperFilter is more for things that can live "forever"
>       relative the IndexReader)
>

> -Hoss

Re: apachecon

Yonik Seeley-2
> : I was wondering if there have been any other self/semi-organized things
> : around Lucene in the past, like a BOF?
>
> This will be my first ApacheCon, so i can't speak to what's happened in
> the past -- but I'm certainly up for putting some faces to some names.

I'll be attending ApacheCon also, in case any Lucene fans want to get together.

-Yonik
http://incubator.apache.org/solr Solr, the open-source Lucene search server

RE: apachecon

steven_parkes
I stopped procrastinating on this today.

I signed up for a BOF slot at 8 on Thursday. Hopefully not against other
stuff of interest.

I've not done this before, but the BOF slots were filling.

From my perspective, it'd be great to have people from any of the
subprojects. Plenty of cross fertilization opportunities.