books (and articles) about search engine algorithms

books (and articles) about search engine algorithms

Mladen Adamovic-3
Hi!

I want to get more insight into various search engine algorithms. I have
wide knowledge of standard data structures & algorithms (hashvalues,
trees,  graphs, etc.). I thought that Lucene would be good place to
start to seek for information and indeed I've found some decent
information at Nutch website. However, I decided to post here some
personal opinions regarding this issue thinking that someone might give
me even more information.

As far as I understand I should read books about Informational Retrieval
(i.e. Modern Information Retrieval by Balza-Yates, Ribero-Neto). Any update?

I also found using one article about link spam and citeseer wide
articles about link spam techniques, namely:
1. Undue Influence: Eliminating the Impact of Link Plagiarism on Web
Search Rankings
2. Using Rank Propagation and Probabilistic Counting for LinkBased Spam
Detection
3. SpamRank   Fully Automatic Link Spam Detection
4. Identifying Link Farm Spam Pages
5. Thwarting the Nigritude Ultramarine: Learning to Identify Link Spam

If you have some more opinions about valuable literature about search
engine algorithms (primary books but also nice articles might work, let
me know).

Thanks and keep on good work.

--
Mladen Adamovic
http://www.online-utility.org  http://www.cheapvps.info

Re: books (and articles) about search engine algorithms

Andrzej Białecki-2
Mladen Adamovic wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I want to get more insight into various search engine algorithms. I
> have wide knowledge of standard data structures & algorithms
> (hashvalues, trees,  graphs, etc.). I thought that Lucene would be
> good place to start to seek for information and indeed I've found some
> decent information at Nutch website. However, I decided to post here
> some personal opinions regarding this issue thinking that someone
> might give me even more information.
>
> As far as I understand I should read books about Informational
> Retrieval (i.e. Modern Information Retrieval by Balza-Yates,
> Ribero-Neto). Any update?
>
> I also found using one article about link spam and citeseer wide
> articles about link spam techniques, namely:
> 1. Undue Influence: Eliminating the Impact of Link Plagiarism on Web
> Search Rankings
> 2. Using Rank Propagation and Probabilistic Counting for LinkBased
> Spam Detection
> 3. SpamRank   Fully Automatic Link Spam Detection
> 4. Identifying Link Farm Spam Pages
> 5. Thwarting the Nigritude Ultramarine: Learning to Identify Link Spam

Yes, good references. At this moment most of my working knowledge about
search engines comes either from the book you cited above, or from
papers found on Citeseer - play around with IR related terms, you will
find a LOT of papers to read... ;). And then follow references from
those papers ...

I also found that other printed books are either too outdated or not so
relevant to web-scale IR.

In the end (as usually) the best way to really dig into the subject is
to try and solve a real-life problem, combining the tools you already
have and what you have learned.

--
Best regards,
Andrzej Bialecki     <><

Re: books (and articles) about search engine algorithms

Thomas Delnoij-3
I found "Mining the web - discovering knowledge from Hypertext Data"
by Soumen Ckakrabarti a usefull reference.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1558607544/103-9548474-1631829?v=glance&n=283155

Rgrds, Thomas