concurrency while indexing

Thorsten Scherler-3
Hi all,

I have following usecase, one solr instance which receives add/commit
calls constantly from 3 different clients.

The machine:
Model: HP Proliant DL 360
Memory: 2 Gb
CPU: 1 Intel Xeon 3.02 Ghz
Disk: 2 x 36 GB SCSI en RAID

I need to raise the number of clients to about 10, can this be a problem
for the indexing machine?

salu2
--
Thorsten Scherler                                 thorsten.at.apache.org
Open Source Java                      consulting, training and solutions

Re: concurrency while indexing

Yonik Seeley-2
On Feb 8, 2008 3:53 AM, Thorsten Scherler
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have following usecase, one solr instance which receives add/commit
> calls constantly from 3 different clients.
>
> The machine:
> Model: HP Proliant DL 360
> Memory: 2 Gb
> CPU: 1 Intel Xeon 3.02 Ghz
> Disk: 2 x 36 GB SCSI en RAID
>
> I need to raise the number of clients to about 10, can this be a problem
> for the indexing machine?

I'd stop the clients from doing commit themselves unless it's really
necessary, and use some form of time based autocommit (see example
solrconfig.xml).

On Fri, 2008-02-08 at 08:44 -0500, Yonik Seeley wrote:

> On Feb 8, 2008 3:53 AM, Thorsten Scherler
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > I have following usecase, one solr instance which receives add/commit
> > calls constantly from 3 different clients.
> >
> > The machine:
> > Model: HP Proliant DL 360
> > Memory: 2 Gb
> > CPU: 1 Intel Xeon 3.02 Ghz
> > Disk: 2 x 36 GB SCSI en RAID
> >
> > I need to raise the number of clients to about 10, can this be a problem
> > for the indexing machine?
>
> I'd stop the clients from doing commit themselves unless it's really
> necessary, and use some form of time based autocommit (see example
> solrconfig.xml).

Cheers Yonlik, will have a look.

salu2