custom request handler; standard vs dismax

custom request handler; standard vs dismax

Matt Mitchell
Hi,

I recently started playing with the dismax handler and custom request
handlers. When using the solr.StandardRequestHandler class, I get the
response that I want; lots of facet values. When I switch to the dismax
class, I get none. I've posted my request handler definitions here. Am I
missing something totally obvious?

Thanks,
Matt

p.s. using the latest/nightly build of solr

* an example url:

http://localhost:8983/solr/select/?facet.limit=6&wt=ruby&rows=0&facet=true&facet.mincount=1&facet.offset=0&q=*:*&fl=*,score&qt=catalog&facet.missing=true&facet.field=source_facet&facet.sort=true

* no facet values with this:

<requestHandler name="catalog" class="solr.DisMaxRequestHandler" >
    <str name="q.alt">*:*</str>
    <str name="hl">on</str>
</requestHandler>

* lots of facet values with this:

<requestHandler name="catalog" class="solr.StandardRequestHandler" >
    <str name="q.alt">*:*</str>
    <str name="hl">on</str>
</requestHandler>

Re: custom request handler; standard vs dismax

Erik Hatcher
I just chatted with Matt about this.  It took me a few seconds
(thinking this might be a browser caching issue without looking at
the actual query), but the issue is that dismax does not support the
*:* syntax.  Removing the q parameter altogether does the trick, with
it falling back to the q.alt standard Lucene parsing.

        Erik