deprecated field types

Hendrik Haddorp
Hi,

the Solr documentation lists deprecated field types at:
https://lucene.apache.org/solr/guide/7_4/field-types-included-with-solr.html

Below the table the following is stated:
/All Trie* numeric and date field types have been deprecated in favor of
*Point field types. Point field types are better at range queries
(speed, memory, disk), however simple field:value queries underperform
relative to Trie. Either accept this, or continue to use Trie fields.
This shortcoming may be addressed in a future release./

Given that it is suggested that one can keep using these fields can I
expect that the types are not being removed in Solr 8?

thanks,
Hendrik

Re: deprecated field types

Shawn Heisey
On 8/6/2018 11:52 PM, Hendrik Haddorp wrote:
> Below the table the following is stated:
> /All Trie* numeric and date field types have been deprecated in favor
> of *Point field types. Point field types are better at range queries
> (speed, memory, disk), however simple field:value queries underperform
> relative to Trie. Either accept this, or continue to use Trie fields.
> This shortcoming may be addressed in a future release./
>
> Given that it is suggested that one can keep using these fields can I
> expect that the types are not being removed in Solr 8?

As far as I know, they will be removed in 8.  They WOULD have been
removed in 7.0 -- the underlying Lucene legacy numeric classes that make
the Trie fields possible were removed in Lucene 7.  By including the
source code for the legacy numeric classes in the Solr codebase, we were
able to keep the Trie fields around for another major version.  This was
extremely important for backwards compatibility -- without doing that,
it would not have been possible for Solr 7 to read a large fraction of
existing Solr 6 indexes that were NOT using deprecated Solr 6 classes.

Even if Trie fields are removed, Solr 8 will be able to read any Solr 7
index that is not using deprecated types.  This is the historical
backward compatibility guarantee that Solr has always had.

Thanks,
Shawn

Re: deprecated field types

sarowe