dropping index at startup

aldana-2
is it possible to clean up solr index by passing a start param?
currently I am deleting the data/ folder to achieve this, which feels a
bit unnatural. It would be cool to have something like -Dsolr.drop.index
as parameter.

btw, how does solr generally handle documents in index which aren't
matching the schema.xml (e.g. after a change done to schema.xml)? Is it
discarding them, the server itself starts up OK (doesn't give an error,
that inconsistent documents exist).

--
 manuel aldana
 [hidden email]
 software-engineering blog: http://www.aldana-online.de

Re: dropping index at startup

Mark Miller-3
On Sun, Jul 12, 2009 at 10:55 AM, manuel aldana <[hidden email]> wrote:

> is it possible to clean up solr index by passing a start param? currently I
> am deleting the data/ folder to achieve this, which feels a bit unnatural.
> It would be cool to have something like -Dsolr.drop.index as parameter.

A great and very fast way to clear the index is to do a delete by query with
*:*

> btw, how does solr generally handle documents in index which aren't
> matching the schema.xml (e.g. after a change done to schema.xml)? Is it
> discarding them, the server itself starts up OK (doesn't give an error, that
> inconsistent documents exist).

The documents already in the index will be the way they were, and new ones
will be the new way - eg your index will be inconsistent. You might have
half your index stemmed and the other half not. It will still work, but you
won't match the documents you want, depending - a query of ski will not
match skiing in the unstemmed half of you documents, but will match the
stemmed docs. You have to reindex to get things consistent again.

> --
> manuel aldana
> [hidden email]
> software-engineering blog: http://www.aldana-online.de