java.util.zip (was Questions about DeleteFile method)

java.util.zip (was Questions about DeleteFile method)

Monsur Hossain
> All: Speaking of my port work for 1.9 RC1, I don't have a
> clear idea what to do about java.util.zip.  There is no
> equivalent in .NET and it is being used in Lucene 1.9 RC1 for
> Index.FieldsWriter and Index.FieldsReader.  Any suggestion?

George, what about SharpZipLib:

http://www.icsharpcode.net/OpenSource/SharpZipLib/Default.aspx

It's a third-party project, but its written in C# and is under GPL.
Hmm, but upon first look I don't see a direct analog to the
Inflater/Deflater methods.

Monsur

Re: java.util.zip (was Questions about DeleteFile method)

Pasha Bizhan
Hi,

  "Monsur Hossain" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hmm, but upon first look I don't see a direct analog to
>the Inflater/Deflater methods.

using ICSharpCode.SharpZipLib.Zip;
using ICSharpCode.SharpZipLib.Zip.Compression;

// Create the compressor with highest level of compression
  Deflater compressor = new Deflater();
  compressor.SetLevel(Deflater.BEST_COMPRESSION);

and etc

Pasha Bizhan
http://lucenedotnet.com

RE: java.util.zip (was Questions about DeleteFile method)

George Aroush
Hi,

I am not too excited about using SharpZipLib -- if I use it, unlike now,
DotLucene will end up with a 3rd party dependency thus, the port can't be
used out of the box.  I know, I might not have a better alternative.

Regards,

-- George Aroush

  "Monsur Hossain" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hmm, but upon first look I don't see a direct analog to the
>Inflater/Deflater methods.

using ICSharpCode.SharpZipLib.Zip;
using ICSharpCode.SharpZipLib.Zip.Compression;

// Create the compressor with highest level of compression
  Deflater compressor = new Deflater();
  compressor.SetLevel(Deflater.BEST_COMPRESSION);

and etc

Pasha Bizhan
http://lucenedotnet.com

Re: java.util.zip (was Questions about DeleteFile method)

Doug Cutting
Monsur Hossain wrote:
> George, what about SharpZipLib:
>
> http://www.icsharpcode.net/OpenSource/SharpZipLib/Default.aspx
>
> It's a third-party project, but its written in C# and is under GPL.

GPL unfortunately means that the library cannot be distributed by Apache
with Lucene.Net.

Doug

Re: java.util.zip (was Questions about DeleteFile method)

Chuck Williams
Doug Cutting wrote:

> Monsur Hossain wrote:
>
>> George, what about SharpZipLib:
>>
>> http://www.icsharpcode.net/OpenSource/SharpZipLib/Default.aspx
>>
>> It's a third-party project, but its written in C# and is under GPL.
>

> GPL unfortunately means that the library cannot be distributed by
> Apache with Lucene.Net.

George,

I think this may hold an answer:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/msdnmag/issues/03/06/ZipCompression/default.aspx

J#.Net contains java.util.zip and can be accessed from C#.  The article
contains the details.

Will this work for you?

Chuck

RE: java.util.zip (was Questions about DeleteFile method)

Joaquin Delgado
Interesting to know that "<<Since J# implements the JDK version 1.1.4>>,
it is no surprise that the java.util.zip namespace is available to
developers through the J# runtime."

I wonder if some of the latest developments in Lucene-Java, can be
ported to C# (.NET) via the J# runtime.

J.D.