lucene / clucene

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

lucene / clucene

John Paige
Hi,
   I have heard good reviews about lucene, since we use C++ interface,
I discarded the idea of using lucene. Recently, I came across
"clucene", lucene written in C++.

clucene is not as well-supported as lucene, so I am not sure if I
should go for it. Does anyone has used clucene here? Any comments on
effictiveness, support on clucene are highly appreciated.

Thanks,
John
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: lucene / clucene

Erik Hatcher
John,

There are a couple of other options beyond CLucene.  There is also  
Lucene4C which is now being developed in the Apache Incubator  
(incubator.apache.org) and using a GCJ'd version of Lucene.  The Java  
version of Lucene has been integrated into PyLucene using the Java ->  
GCJ -> SWIG.

     Erik

On May 24, 2005, at 11:47 AM, John Paige wrote:

> Hi,
>    I have heard good reviews about lucene, since we use C++ interface,
> I discarded the idea of using lucene. Recently, I came across
> "clucene", lucene written in C++.
>
> clucene is not as well-supported as lucene, so I am not sure if I
> should go for it. Does anyone has used clucene here? Any comments on
> effictiveness, support on clucene are highly appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> John
>

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: lucene / clucene

John Paige
I have looked at Lucene4C, it looks to me that it is in a very early
stage of devlopment. There are not any releases yet.
Does anyone have any idea when the first official release is going to be out?

Thanks,
John

On 5/24/05, Erik Hatcher <[hidden email]> wrote:

> John,
>
> There are a couple of other options beyond CLucene.  There is also
> Lucene4C which is now being developed in the Apache Incubator
> (incubator.apache.org) and using a GCJ'd version of Lucene.  The Java
> version of Lucene has been integrated into PyLucene using the Java ->
> GCJ -> SWIG.
>
>      Erik
>
> On May 24, 2005, at 11:47 AM, John Paige wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >    I have heard good reviews about lucene, since we use C++ interface,
> > I discarded the idea of using lucene. Recently, I came across
> > "clucene", lucene written in C++.
> >
> > clucene is not as well-supported as lucene, so I am not sure if I
> > should go for it. Does anyone has used clucene here? Any comments on
> > effictiveness, support on clucene are highly appreciated.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > John
> >
>
>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: lucene / clucene

Garrett Rooney
John Paige wrote:
> I have looked at Lucene4C, it looks to me that it is in a very early
> stage of devlopment. There are not any releases yet.

Well, there were several releases before the project moved into the ASF
incubator...  But they probably don't do what you want.  The original
approach was reimplementing the lucene libraries in C, so you wouldn't
need the Java implementation at all.  It never got further along than
very basic searching functionality.

I've recently changed course, so now I'm working on a C wrapper for a
GCJ compiled version of the Java library.

> Does anyone have any idea when the first official release is going to be out?

Well, the first 'useful' version of the new GCJ backed version should be
available in the next week or so, but it'll be pretty bare bones and I'm
not sure if we'll do an actual release.  Basically you'll be able to
index documents and run searches, but the interfaces won't be finalized
yet, and a lot of the fancy stuff you can do in Java Lucene won't be
exposed.

You can check out the current progress in the gcj-backend branch in
Subversion
(http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/lucene4c/branches/gcj-backend/),
but be aware that it's a work in progress.  Right now you can index
documents, but searching isn't complete yet.  I still need to write the
code to wrap the IndexSearcher class, once that happens we'll have a
basic level of functionality.

Also, the build system is a total hack right now.  I'm just using a
hardcoded makefile, so if you want to test it out you'll need to be
willing to hack the makefile to support your local system.  Next on the
todo list after wrapping IndexSearcher is getting back to a more
conventional autoconf driven build system.

Once we've got a useful system up and limping I'm going to concentrate
on exposing functionality required by users.  The first user will
probably be the mod_mbox module, since Paul Querna has been wanting to
add text searching capabilities to it, but we're always looking for more
users, so feel free to drop by [hidden email] and I'm sure
people would be happy to help you get going with the project.

-garrett
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: lucene / clucene

Otis Gospodnetic-2
In reply to this post by John Paige
lucene4c is a baby still.  You should ask about CLucene on the CLucene
list.  Somebody just asked about that... maybe it was you :)

CLucene folks still seem to want to join Lucene at Apache.

Otis

--- John Paige <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have looked at Lucene4C, it looks to me that it is in a very early
> stage of devlopment. There are not any releases yet.
> Does anyone have any idea when the first official release is going to
> be out?
>
> Thanks,
> John
>
> On 5/24/05, Erik Hatcher <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > John,
> >
> > There are a couple of other options beyond CLucene.  There is also
> > Lucene4C which is now being developed in the Apache Incubator
> > (incubator.apache.org) and using a GCJ'd version of Lucene.  The
> Java
> > version of Lucene has been integrated into PyLucene using the Java
> ->
> > GCJ -> SWIG.
> >
> >      Erik
> >
> > On May 24, 2005, at 11:47 AM, John Paige wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > >    I have heard good reviews about lucene, since we use C++
> interface,
> > > I discarded the idea of using lucene. Recently, I came across
> > > "clucene", lucene written in C++.
> > >
> > > clucene is not as well-supported as lucene, so I am not sure if I
> > > should go for it. Does anyone has used clucene here? Any comments
> on
> > > effictiveness, support on clucene are highly appreciated.
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > John
> > >
> >
> >
>