lucy is gone?

Jason Dusek
  I guess Lucy isn't being worked on any more?

_jsn

Re: lucy is gone?

Nathan Kurz
On Fri, Oct 17, 2008 at 6:47 PM, Jason Dusek <[hidden email]> wrote:
>  I guess Lucy isn't being worked on any more?

No, it's alive and well.  Lucy is the designated successor of
KinoSearch, and development is going strong  Marvin just got a
full-time job involving development  work on Lucy, so once he gets
settled in there should be a flurry of activity.  It's the quiet
before the storm --- in a good way!

Nathan Kurz
[hidden email]

ps.  There was also a server crash just before Marvin's move, which
took down the KinoSearch mailing lists.  I presume they'll be back up
once things settle down.

Re: lucy is gone?

Jason Dusek
  So, I should just poke around the KinoSearch website?

_jsn

Re: lucy is gone?

Marvin Humphrey
On Sun, Oct 19, 2008 at 01:09:00PM -0700, Jason Dusek wrote:
>   So, I should just poke around the KinoSearch website?

What's your goal, Jason?

Marvin Humphrey
http://www.rectangular.com/

Re: lucy is gone?

Jason Dusek
Marvin Humphrey <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Jason Dusek wrote:
> > So, I should just poke around the KinoSearch website?
>
> What's your goal, Jason?

  I'd like to find the current sources for Lucy, as I am
  interested in exploring Haskell bindings.

_jsn

Re: lucy is gone?

Marvin Humphrey
On Sun, Oct 19, 2008 at 07:47:16PM -0700, Jason Dusek wrote:

>   I'd like to find the current sources for Lucy, as I am
>   interested in exploring Haskell bindings.

What's in the Lucy repository itself isn't ready to be bound.  The closest
thing to what you seek would be the current KinoSearch sources, since I've
gutted KinoSearch and reimplemented its internals using the OO model that Dave
Balmain and I designed for Lucy.  It's not exactly Lucy, but it's a rough
draft, and any work you do now would serve also serve as a rough draft for
Lucy Haskell bindings.

If you're interested, we should start a "Haskell bindings" thread on lucy-dev.
I don't yet speak Haskell, but I'd be glad to learn and to help you.  It's
important to have at least one set of additional bindings and an official
public C API before KS gets declared stable and we move development to Lucy in
earnest.  I'd figured that the additional bindings would be for either Ruby,
Python, or PHP, but if there's a volunteer available, I'll go with their
preference.

My boss at the company I've just started work for, Eventful, understands that
writing additional bindings is important for the project, but it's hard to
justify the solo hours when we're mainly a Perl shop and wouldn't benefit
directly.  If there's someone else doing work, though, it's easy for me to
justify supporting them.

Marvin Humphrey
http://www.rectangular.com/

Re: lucy is gone?

Otis Gospodnetic-3

Out of curiosity, who is Nathan Kurz? :)
I'm simply asking because I'm trying to get a feel for Lucy's future - before Nathan shows up on the list a few weeks ago, the list was quit and Marvin was all alone.

Thanks,
Otis

> On Fri, Oct 17, 2008 at 6:47 PM, Jason Dusek wrote:
> >  I guess Lucy isn't being worked on any more?
>
> No, it's alive and well.  Lucy is the designated successor of
> KinoSearch, and development is going strong  Marvin just got a
> full-time job involving development  work on Lucy, so once he gets
> settled in there should be a flurry of activity.  It's the quiet
> before the storm --- in a good way!
>
> Nathan Kurz
> [hidden email]
>
> ps.  There was also a server crash just before Marvin's move, which
> took down the KinoSearch mailing lists.  I presume they'll be back up
> once things settle down.

Re: lucy is gone?

Marvin Humphrey
On Mon, Oct 20, 2008 at 08:50:27PM -0700, Otis Gospodnetic wrote:

> Out of curiosity, who is Nathan Kurz? :)

He's the ice cream man!

    <http://www.flickr.com/photos/screamsorbet/2321354800/>

... and a long-standing member of the KinoSearch community.

> I'm simply asking because I'm trying to get a feel for Lucy's future -
> before Nathan shows up on the list a few weeks ago, the list was quit and
> Marvin was all alone.

I specifically requested that we move the discussion about file formats and
posting lists from the KinoSearch list to lucy-dev.

Some of the collaborative design work that Nate and I have done in the past, I
thought would be easy to argue in summation for Lucy.  For example, we
reworked the boolean Query subclasses, replacing the port of Lucene's
BooleanQuery with ANDQuery, ORQuery, NOTQuery and RequiredOptionalQuery.  The
arguments for this reorganization are easy to make from a high level.

The same cannot be said for the file format design issues.  Thus, I wanted the
full record of that discussion in the Lucy mailing list archives.

Marvin Humphrey
http://www.rectangular.com/

Re: lucy is gone?

Nathan Kurz
On Mon, Oct 20, 2008 at 9:50 PM, Otis Gospodnetic
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Out of curiosity, who is Nathan Kurz? :)
> I'm simply asking because I'm trying to get a feel for Lucy's future - before
> Nathan shows up on the list a few weeks ago, the list was quit and Marvin was
> all alone.

Hi Otis ---

Rats! I see that Marvin got in before me, ruining my scheme of
convincing you that I'm his imaginary alter-ego, part of his new
Socratic approach to development, and a placeholder for a real
developer until he gets one.

But he stated, I'm a long-time fan of KinoSearch who is currently
trying to run a gourmet ice cream business in the Bay Area
(http://screamsorbet.com).  I'm a decent C and Perl programmer on
Linux, although lately I'm more talk than code.

My goals with Lucy are to guide it in a direction that will let me use
it in the indeterminate future on collaborative
filtering/recommendation sites.  I particularly want to make it easy
to use alternative scoring systems and custom index formats.

I also need/want it to run really fast, ideally limited only by memory
bandwidth.  I'm currently talking with Marvin about different methods
of index compression, better ways of utilizing mmap(), and the
Scorer-Index interface.

Thanks!

Nathan Kurz
[hidden email]