[lucy-user] Where did the header files go?

[lucy-user] Where did the header files go?

Philip Southam
So I was looking to resume development/feature enhancements on my golang
<-> lucy bindings and thought I would also use a more recent version of
lucy. Man it seems like things have changed quite a bit. I was
previously able to go into lucy/c and ./configure && make &&
./install.sh --prefix TARGET and get the libraries and header files
installed. That doesn't seem to be the case anymore. So my question for
the list is, how do I go about installing the library and the header
files for client development?

Philip Southam
Chief Architect / Яeverse Эngineer
http://zefr.com

Re: [lucy-user] Where did the header files go?

Peter Karman
On 1/27/14 9:47 PM, Philip Southam wrote:

> So I was looking to resume development/feature enhancements on my golang
> <-> lucy bindings and thought I would also use a more recent version of
> lucy. Man it seems like things have changed quite a bit. I was
> previously able to go into lucy/c and ./configure && make &&
> ./install.sh --prefix TARGET and get the libraries and header files
> installed. That doesn't seem to be the case anymore. So my question for
> the list is, how do I go about installing the library and the header
> files for client development?
>
> Thanks,

Hi Philip,

Yes, lots of code churn lately. Clownfish has been split into its own
repository, among other things. Marvin and/or Nick can give better
details than I can; I'm only watching from a respectful distance at this
stage.

This thread might help: http://markmail.org/message/mr6apvmzjkp5kutf

If you're doing development on Lucy you should probably subscribe
yourself to [hidden email] where a lot of this churn has been
discussed lately.

Peter Karman  .  http://peknet.com/  .  [hidden email]

Re: [lucy-user] Where did the header files go?

Nick Wellnhofer
Hi Philip,

We made two changes lately which affect C client development.

1. Clownfish is a separate product now

You have to clone the clownfish source from the new repo:

     git clone https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf/lucy-clownfish.git

Then you can build and install like this:

     cd clownfish/runtime/c
     ./configure
     make
     ./install.sh --prefix $lucy_prefix

Then you can build Lucy. There isn't a easy way to specify the location of
Clownfish yet. If you installed into /usr/local, everything should work.
Otherwise you have to set some environment variables for now:

     export PATH=$lucy_prefix/bin:$PATH
     export LIBRARY_PATH=$lucy_prefix/lib
     export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$lucy_prefix/lib
     export CLOWNFISH_INCLUDE=$lucy_prefix/share/clownfish/include

Then build and install Lucy:

     cd lucy/c
     ./configure
     make
     ./install.sh --prefix $lucy_prefix

2. The C headers aren't installed any more

We only install the command-line Clownfish compiler 'cfc' and the Clownfish
headers now. These can be used to generate the C headers. Assuming you still
have the environment variables from above set, you have to run:

     cfc --dest=autogen

This will create the C headers in the directory 'autogen/include'.

Hope this helps,
Nick

Re: [lucy-user] Where did the header files go?

Philip Southam
Thanks Nick, that got me pointed in the right direction.