random accessing term value

John Wang-9
Hi:

   Is there a way to random accessing term value in a field? e.g.

   in my field, content, the terms are: lucene, is, cool

   Is there a way to access content[2] -> cool?

Thanks

-John

Re: random accessing term value

Erik Hatcher

On Mar 25, 2008, at 1:32 PM, John Wang wrote:
>    Is there a way to random accessing term value in a field? e.g.
>
>    in my field, content, the terms are: lucene, is, cool
>
>    Is there a way to access content[2] -> cool?

Via term vectors, or reanalysis of the field are two that come to
mind.  Maybe other ways?

        Erik

Re: random accessing term value

John Wang-9
I am not sure how term vectors would help me. Term vectors are ordered by
frequency, not in lex order. Since I know in the dictionary the terms are
ordered by lex, seems it is possible for me to randomly get the nth term in
the dictionary without having to seek to it.

Thoughts?

Thanks

-John

On Tue, Mar 25, 2008 at 11:16 AM, Erik Hatcher <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> On Mar 25, 2008, at 1:32 PM, John Wang wrote:
> >    Is there a way to random accessing term value in a field? e.g.
> >
> >    in my field, content, the terms are: lucene, is, cool
> >
> >    Is there a way to access content[2] -> cool?
>
> Via term vectors, or reanalysis of the field are two that come to
> mind.  Maybe other ways?
>
>        Erik

Re: random accessing term value

Erik Hatcher
You can store term vectors with positions too.  Wouldn't that work
for this case?

        Erik